IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

@ur7x : My setup is:

Sonoff ZHABridge: running Tasmota 9.3.1
Latest HA
Ikea Switch running Firmware: 0x22010631

Same as me except im running tasmota 9.4.1

Do you know if its possible to check what the latest firmware releases are for tradfri devices? Ive got firmware update enabled in the integration, but not sure how I can check if its actually working.

Iā€™m, trying a HUSBZB stick now and am migrating off of Smartthingsā€¦ I will let you know if this solves the issue.

It is definitely working better than Smartthings which was also killing batteries in 24 hrs.

This is a list of available OTA files:

http://fw.ota.homesmart.ikea.net/feed/version_info.json

Which devices do you have?

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the following, with the value after being the firmware version reported by the ZHA integration.

On/off 0x22010631
On/off 0x22010631
Shortcut 0x23015631
Remote 0x23014631

Though the firmware versions reported by the ZHA integration donā€™t seem to match i.e.

{ā€œfw_binary_urlā€:ā€œhttp://fw.ota.homesmart.ikea.net/global/GW1.0/01.14.024/bin/10054470-TRADFRI-shortcut-button-2.3.015.ota.ota.signed",ā€œfw_file_version_LSBā€:22065,ā€œfw_file_version_MSBā€:8961,ā€œfw_filesizeā€:181310,ā€œfw_image_typeā€:4550,ā€œfw_manufacturer_idā€:4476,"fw_typeā€:2},

So iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re on the latest version or not. Iā€™ve just got this in my configuration.yaml

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      ikea_provider: true

Which I think is enough just to download and apply updates as theyā€™re available, but itā€™s all a bit opaque - not sure how to check when updates are applied, if theyre successful etc.

I can confirm the version regarding to remote control.
where do you see a difference between the version numbers of the shortcut button? Seems equal to me (2.3.015).

Hoping this can help others with the same issue. I have the Nortek HUSBZB-1 USB Zigbee/Z-wave controller, I bought two Ikea remotes back in October 2020 (Ikea E1810 TRƅDFRI On/Off Switch & Dimmer and Ikea E1744 SYMFONISK Rotary Remote). When I bought the Nortek controller I followed the instructions and flashed the firmware to the latest at the time (ncp-uart-sw-6.6.5) and both my remotes drained their battery in less than 2 days. I replaced both battery and again they died within 48h, so I quit using them at the time. This week I saw another Tradfri remote in the ā€œas-isā€ section so I figured Iā€™d try it again. Overnight battery went from 100% to 60%. I found this thread and flashed the latest (ncp-uart-sw-6.7.8), not the 115k version. Battery has been stable at 60% for 5 days in a row now, so a definite improvement. So for me going from 6.6.5 to 6.7.8 appears to resolve the quick battery drain but it appears that it still doesnā€™t play well with other configs. Iā€™m going to put fresh batteries in my two other remotes and see if itā€™s better. Running OS 5.13 and core-2021.6.3.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I have updated the firmware on my HUSBZBā€¦ (And that was painā€¦ and did not work as documentedā€¦) And so far the buttons continue to work greatā€¦ thanksā€¦

What were the other issues you had with the newer firmware?

Hi guys,

I have been having the same issue with the Ikea Tradfri remote. This oneā€¦ SNAG422-0933

The weird thing is that I have three of them, and only one of them has the problem, the other two are working fine. I have them connected to ZHA using a Tasmota flashed Sonoff bridge (9.4.0). I am using node red from the switches.

Is there a solution to this? I have looked through the thread and canā€™t work it out!

Just a note for everyone. I followed these instructions and the upgrade worked great and I didnā€™t have to repair.

Having said that, I stopped HA while the upgrade was taking place and then started it once everything was complete.

Hi Kafka. Just read the progress of battery issues with Ikea remotes on Ikea switches and remotes consume batteries very fast and stop responding after replacing the batteries Ā· Issue #43969 Ā· home-assistant/core Ā· GitHub. It seams latest ncp-uart-nsw_6.7.9_115200.ota minimizes the problem but as stated by MattWestb: ā€œSo recommendation: Firmware EZSP 6.7.8.0 (6.7.9.0 for Sonoff) and routers around for end devices and doing ā€œreconfigureā€ remotes after paring and changing binding for getting the reporting working OK.ā€ I did reset the remotes, re-pair and reconfigure under ZHA and the batteries last (for me at least) a week now.

Hi.

Thanks for this information.
My sonoff zigbee bridge is running the latest ncp-uart-nsw_6.7.9 but my batteries still die very fast.
I have tried before to bind the IKEA switch to the coordinator but it didnā€™t help much.
I will try to bind it one router to see if it helps.

Iā€™m sorry but what does this mean and how do I do it? I re-added one of my buttons yesterday after upgrading to 6.7.9 and it died by the morning. :cry:

Hi @jjross . What you have to do is delete existing remotes and re-pair them. After that under Home Assistant go to ā€œConfigurationā€ ā†’ ā€œEntitiesā€ ā†’ Select your Ikea remote ā†’ Press ā€œRECONFIGURE DEVICEā€ button. If you see any error try pressing Ikea remote several times while pressing ā€œRECONFIGURE DEVICEā€ button. Reconfiguring function will allow to properly bind (connect) your Ikea remote to the nearest router (a lamp for example) and start reporting states to zha properly.

Sad to report, problem remains. HUSBZB stick still draining IKEA remotes.

1 Like

This is not specific to HUSBZB.

I use 2 IKEA remotes with Zigbee2MQTT using a CC2652RB stick zigbee coordinator and I have the exact same issue.
Iā€™ve just ordered 2 Philipps Hue remotes to try them.

This Ikea remote switch conundrum is frustrating because they have so much potential, aside from their ready availability off the shelf, and being a not so bad looking piece of hardware.

I replaced four batteries yesterday morning - three On/Off Buttons and one five button remote with a brand new set of Duracell batteries. Today, only one of the four is working, one of the On/Off switches.

Iā€™m using the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge to as the coordinator with 9.1.0 firmware (tried newer versions, but this is the only one stable on my home network which is another story) and the latest uart version.
The last thing I did to the system before the batteries drained to the point of disfunction was move the gateway to another part of the house - through a wall and past several kitchen appliances. The oddity remains that one of the four battery replaced devices is still functional, and connected to the coordinator.

Iā€™ve not tried yet tried pairing the devices to a node instead of the coordinator directly, but given I have nine other devices (five Ikea motion sensors, two Sonoff Switches, one Aqara Temp/Humidity sensor, and one Aqara Window/Door sensor) all paired to the coordinator with no issues at all, it would seem that the common point of failure here is the interaction between the Ikea switch/button hardware and the coordinator.

Just putting it out there to see if anyone may have any ideas or thoughts, aside from those shared already?

My batteries arenā€™t actually dying. It says that are dying then they become unavailable but if I put them in pairing mode and bind them to the coordinator again, they usually reconnect at 100%, 87% or 67%. Iā€™ve also noticed that a lot of my tradfri battery powered devices will have the exact same battery percentage as they jump up and down. This leads me to believe that the real issue isnā€™t actually battery drain at all. It seems more like a battery reporting issue that make the coordinator think the device has disconnected.

I have similar observation. Just yesterday one of the switches stopped responding but when I measured voltage using multimeter it showed 3.0V. After re-pairing, the switch came back alive and reported 65%, but today I see 74%.

On my network the batteries are being drawn down to <2V and they will not re-pair.

1 Like