IKEA Tradfri - Batteries in the remote controls are quickly discharged

I’ve just sold my tradfri buttons on ebay - I wish they worked because they’re cheap and look smart and work well when they work. Just don’t want to pull my hair out trying to keep up with battery issues and repairing.

2 Likes

For anyone still following this issue, I’ll put out there my problem and solution:
Before: Sonoff zigbee gateway using the latest software of both (May 2021). ZHA was the integration. Using Ikea branded batteries
After, fixed: CC2531 flashed with firmware 20201127 running on a Raspberry Pi 3B. Zigbee2MQTT is the integration. Again Ikea branded batteries. It has been working for 60+ days.

I don’t know whether it is the hardware or the integration or what but it’s working for with an added bonus of the pi being located much closer to where the zigbee remotes are.

Good luck to anyone else still facing this issue

2 Likes

Thats like proposing buying a new car as a solution to fix the lights in your current one.

Please add me to the list of people with the Sonoff ZBB + Ikea remotes battery drain issue.

Glad I found this thread → I’m trying to work with my huszb-1 and my remotes seem to be dying in like 24hrs. I’m about to get the multimeter to test the voltage as they’ve now dropped off the network.

I believe I have upgraded my firmware … I’m considering getting a tardif hub and seeing if that fixes things… very frustrating…

I ended up going the Slaesh stick & zigbee2mqtt route and I couldn’t be happier. All of my IKEA batteries are exactly the same after 1 month. Everything is rock solid.

I swapped out my sonoff zigbee coordinator for a conbee ii so of course now im thinking those ikea buttons are nice and cheap - looks like im going to buy back everything i sold on ebay a few weeks ago.

Home automation is an addiction.

Proceed with caution… The IKEA buttons drain (randomly) with Conbee ii, HUSBZB, and all versions of the Smarthings Hub. So far the only way to guarantee that these buttons work is to use the IKEA hub… But the IKEA hub does not expose button events to HA via the integration so that doesn’t work either.

For some reason I thought these worked better with Conbees - might stay out of it then!

Sorry to ask a basic question here but I'm not even getting zha_events from this remote let alone think about battery drain. I'm able to pair it via a tasmotized sonoff zigbee bridge with ncp-uart-sw-6.7.8_115200 (also tried 6.7.9) and I see the device with the battery showing at 100% but when I try to listen to zha_event while pressing any of the buttons I don't get any events. Is this even supposed to work?

1 Like

Hi all! Is there any solution for the IKEA remotes battery drain? I currently have some on/off buttons and also 3 symphony dimmers integrated with ZHA and Conbee 2. Every 15 days I need to swap batteries, otherwise the remotes simply stop working, but some devices still reports the battery level and it is shown on the integrations screen. Very strange…

So far, no. If you use the IKEA Hub they work fine… BUT the IKEA Hub does NOT expose the Button Events to Home Assistant, (or any other integration) So you are left with buttons that can only be linked to IKEA devices, which limits their use.

I am replacing my IKEA Buttons with Aqara buttons (which are almost exactly the same size). And am having much better luck with them, but the Zigbee pairing is not the most intuitive.

not sure if it is the same case. When I started with IKEA symfonisk remotes it was draining batteries fast. after a month one if them oscillates around 0% but still works.
my conbee II however was operating with old firmware. I updated firmware and all returned to normal. Magically batteries went up to about 60% and remaining at this level for several weeks.

I hope in my case it was old Conbee firmware.

It seems that ZigBee 2 mqtt has this issue solved, but I migrated everything to ZHA to reduce one point of failure, and now seems that I need to rollback in my decision. Is soo difficult to port the fix?

I have the exact same experience. With zigbee2mqtt my battery lasted for months without an issue. I migrated last week to ZHA and I thought something went wrong because after 2 days the buttons did not response anymore. Turned out that the batteries of all 3 of my IKEA buttons were empty…

Oh and I changed from a CC2531 to a cc2652P, no idea if that makes a difference. Maybe I can do a test, with the old stick and the new one, both on ZHA. For some reason I also do not see the battery status of the buttons now. I only see a battery and a ? question mark.

I’ve got another ikea shortcut button and after about 5 days its showing 100% charge. This is Conbee II and ZHA.

This is in contast to when i had a tasmota sonoff hub - would have drained by now.

I know at least one other person here with a conbee ii reports the battery drain issue, but so far it seems usable to me.

I have the same problem.

Using a Nortek stick on 6.7.8, and ZHA. The Tradfri on/off buttons drain within a day of use.

Ha version core-2021.9.3

1 Like

Confirm Normally working with USB CC5231 and battery drain after moving to CC2651 Z-Stack 3.30+ (build 20210320)

I’ve been having similar issues with battry drain on the TRADFRI on/off remotes. Last week when it got completely drained in 24h I changed one parameter in my setup when I did the battery change and since then it’s been at 100% battery level.
The one thing I did differently this time was to do a “Reconfigure device” on the “Device” page of the remote directly after pairing the remote. I think I remember this being mentioned as part of the fix a few months back.
Not sure if this will help for anyone else, but might be worth a try.

Still nothing works for me… any updates concerning the DeconZ integration please?