Improved Shopping List! + Bring! + Google Assistant

Hi Peter, can you provide the code you are using for this card? Also you need to import the blueprint. Did you do that?

HUGE UPDATE:

I’ve spent the last few days working on an (even more) improved version of the shopping list.

These are the main changes:

• Fixed the style sheet, adapting to the latest update of the Card Mod card
  • New product icon system, allowing you to add custom images that update automatically on all cards (without having to edit the code at all)
  • New system to add products, easier from catalog by category or alphabetical order, recently purchased products and personalized suggestions
  • Fewer dependencies: it is no longer necessary to install Browser Mod or Expander Card

I also think that visually it is much more attractive, by incorporating images and displaying the products with Bubble Card. Here are a few seconds of the shopping list in operation:

By the way, the ‘catalog’ idea was inspired by this other shopping list project. Also, i want to thank aguacatec community, which has been very helpful and supportive.

Hope you like it, and let me know your opinion and ideas to make it better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s amazing!

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

I hope we can keep making It better. Any suggestions are welcome!

1 Like

the perfect solution for me would be this plus Bring! integration :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah! I want to try It in the coming days. All we need to make It perfect is Google keep integration so we can use Google Assistant :smiley:

1 Like

You got it! I just created a blueprint to sync Bring! with my Improved Shopping List :slight_smile:

More info here

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

1 Like

And finally, the missing piece! :smiley:

I created a ‘work-around’ to add products to the shopping list with Google Assistant.

https://aguacatec.es/alimentar-la-lista-de-la-compra-con-google-assistant/

1 Like

@TiToTB awesome work mate, however I keep getting the below problem and once it starts it doesn’t revert back, no idea what causes it.

Thanks Brent!

Please, check this:

• Do not copy and paste the examples (i.e. “Shopping List – cat - CATEGORY”) when you are creating category helpers, since some word processors can change the ‘-’ and break the code. If you did it, delete your helper, create it again and make sure you type the name.
  • Do not use blank spaces between product names. They should be separated just by commas (i.e. “Oranges,Lemon,Milk”).

Let me know if you fixed it this way :slight_smile:

It was working OK until I pasted
how about special characters like “:” ? Bring! uses special characters like “Red Wine:Pinot Noir” also used the “&” instead of words for categories?

Maybe that’s the problem.

Try to avoid special characters (it happened to me with ‘ñ’) since home assistant seems to ignore some of them, at least with shopping list services.

I am used to type same product names in Bring! and HA, but if you find it usefull i think i can modify the blueprint in order to replace ‘:’ coming from Bring! app, and make it a blank space.

Been away for a week and now work is stupid crazy with escalations, i’ll get back into this next week I think,
I’ll keep you posted and thanks for all your work!

1 Like

any way of making the txt fields larger than 255 characters? it’s annoying me, yup I am anal and try to add everything including brand and pictures, very helpful for when the wife does shopping :slight_smile: or I don’t get what I asked for.

Hi Brent! i don’t know if you can extend the helper beyong 255 characters, but sure you can just add another helper and split products in more categories if you need it :smiley:

Haha well that will fit into my OCD basket lol

1 Like

so i’ve done some looking and if you use an attribute by doing a customisation then you can get around the 255 character limit.

Or maybe we could create a JSON file?
I have created an attribute but can’t figure out what to change to look at that list rather than the state, so no idea if it works or not.
Are you able to point me in the right place?

I think it’s simpler to replace the input_text with a template sensor so you can still work with the ‘state’ and there is no need to make further changes in the code.

Does it help? :sweat_smile:

thanks tried that but the state can’t be over 255 characters, but if you use attributes you can also use special characters like “:”

1 Like