Inkbird BT thermometer iBBQ with ESP32

I recently purchsed a bbq grill and wanted to use a thermometer, that I can integrate in HA without much hassle. As it turns out, there is not yet an easy solution to use with already existing components. So I did some searching and found a few tutorials, that integrate the Inkbird Bluetooth thermometers into HA, but none of them use components like ESPHome (and it’s BLE stack).

So I decided to try my luck and see, if there isn’t another way of integrating these devices into HA. And here it goes! :slight_smile:

What do you get here?
The possibility to integrate an Inkbird BLE thermometer into HA with an ESP32 running on ESPHome. No MQTT or other services are needed, we are just using the BLE connection and the native HA api in ESPHome.

What do I need?
An Inkbird BLE thermometer like IBT-2x, IBT-4x, IBT-6x or IBT-8x and an ESP32 board. The ESP8266 is not suitable, because it doesn’t have a BT controller.

How does this work?
Let’s start with some technical background. The Inkbird thermometers connect to an app on your phone via BT. This is the normal way these thermometers are used. Unfortunately this leaves us with a few problems like BT range, transfer of the sensor data to HA and the need for an app.

The solution is, we use an ESP32 board to readout the BT data that the thermometer provides without any connection, app or whatsoever and setup some sensors to push the data to HA via the ESPHome<->HA api.

Yaml for the node (the ESPHome part):

esphome:
  name: flora_livingroom_window
  platform: ESP32
  board: nodemcu-32s
  on_boot:
    priority: -10
    then:
      - lambda: |-
          {
            id(ble_sensor_1).publish_state(false);
            id(ble_sensor_2).publish_state(false);        
          }

script:
  - id: timer
    then:
      - delay: 60s
          {
          }

esp32_ble_tracker:
  on_ble_advertise:
    - mac_address: xx:xx:xx:xx
      then:
        - script.stop: timer
            if (x.get_name() != "iBBQ") return;

ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "New BLE device");
            ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  address: %s", x.address_str().c_str());
            ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  name: %s", x.get_name().c_str());
            ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  Advertised service UUIDs:");

for (auto uuid : x.get_service_uuids()) {
              ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "    - %s", uuid.to_string().c_str());
            }

ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  Advertised service data:");

for (auto data : x.get_service_datas()) {
              ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "    - %s: (length %i)", data.uuid.to_string().c_str(), data.data.size());
            }

ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  Advertised manufacturer data:");

for (auto data : x.get_manufacturer_datas()) {
              ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "    - %s: (%s)", data.uuid.to_string().c_str(), hexencode(data.data).c_str());

if (data.uuid.contains(0, 0)) {

int probe0 = (data.data[9] << 8) + data.data[8];
                int probe1 = (data.data[11] << 8) + data.data[10];

ESP_LOGI("ble_data", "    - %f %f", probe0 / 10.0, probe1 / 10.0);

if (probe0 < 60000) {
                  id(ble_sensor_1).publish_state(probe0 / 10.0);
                } else {
                  id(ble_sensor_1).publish_state(0);                
                }

if (probe1 < 60000) {
                  id(ble_sensor_2).publish_state(probe1 / 10.0);
                } else {
                  id(ble_sensor_2).publish_state(0);                
                }
              }
            }
        - script.execute: timer

sensor:
  - platform: template
    name: "iBBQ Temperature Probe 1"
    id: ble_sensor_1
    unit_of_measurement: "°C"
    accuracy_decimals: 0
    name: "iBBQ Temperature Probe 2"
    id: ble_sensor_2

This is stripped down to the essentials. You still need the “standards” like wifi, ap, captive_portal, logger and so on. All the things you normally set as well. :slight_smile:

Let’s break this down into pieces to see what we do here:

esphome:
  name: flora_livingroom_window
  platform: ESP32
  board: nodemcu-32s
  on_boot:
    then:
          {
          }

This is our description of the used ESP board. Just for safety reasons, we set the sensors (more on them later) to “0” at the start of the ESP. The priority is set to “-10” as resetting the sensors doesn’t need any priority at all.

esp32_ble_tracker:
  on_ble_advertise:
    - mac_address: xx:xx:xx:xx
      then:
        - script.stop: timer
            if (x.get_name() != "iBBQ") return;

ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "New BLE device");
            ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  address: %s", x.address_str().c_str());
            ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  name: %s", x.get_name().c_str());
            ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  Advertised service UUIDs:");

for (auto uuid : x.get_service_uuids()) {
              ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "    - %s", uuid.to_string().c_str());
            }

ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  Advertised service data:");

for (auto data : x.get_service_datas()) {
              ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "    - %s: (length %i)", data.uuid.to_string().c_str(), data.data.size());
            }

First we implement the esp32_ble_tracker to get the BT functionality into ESPHome. If our ESP get’s any advertised data (from any of your BT devices, not only the thermometer), it starts to first check the mac address of your thermometer. If the mac address fits our device, we move on and start a timer script (more on that later).
Our next step is to check for the correct name (is this an Inkbird Thermometer?) and write some information to the ESP log screen (Hint, this is where you find the mac address the first time you run the ESP).

ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "  Advertised manufacturer data:");

for (auto data : x.get_manufacturer_datas()) {
              ESP_LOGI("ble_adv", "    - %s: (%s)", data.uuid.to_string().c_str(), hexencode(data.data).c_str());

int probe1 = (data.data[11] << 8) + data.data[10];

ESP_LOGI("ble_data", "    - %f %f", probe0 / 10.0, probe1 / 10.0);

if (probe0 < 60000) {
                } else {
                }

if (probe1 < 60000) {
                } else {
                }
              }
            }
        - script.execute: timer

Here we start to look at the so called “manufacturer_data”, this is where our thermometer sends the actual values of the thermometer probes. If the value is over 60000, that’s the way for the thermometer to tell, there is no value… As the sent values are off by a factor of ten, we need to adjust these (hence the division by ten). In the end we start our timer script.

script:
    then:
          {
          }

This is just a simple script, that sets our temperature sensors back to “0”, if the thermometer isn’t sending any data for x seconds (in this case 60s). If the thermometer sends a new data package within this x seconds, the script get’s stopped and is started again after receiving the new values.

sensor:

And lastly, we have our sensors for HA. These were set in the “main magic” above and now just need to be definied. The accuracy_decimals are set to “0”, because the thermometer does only report values without decimals.

The above code works fine for the IBT-2 with two probes, but what if you have more than that, eg. four, six or eight? See the details below on what you have to change, if you use more than two probes.

Instructions for adding more probes

Very simply spoken, you just have to add more probes to all the already there ones. Here are the lines you have to add or change.

on_boot:
    then:
          {
            id(ble_sensor_3).publish_state(false); # <- add one new line for every probe you have and increment the number of the sensor by one
            id(ble_sensor_4).publish_state(false);
          }
script:
    then:
          {
            id(ble_sensor_3).publish_state(false); # <- same here, add one new line for every probe you have and increment the number of the sensor by one
            id(ble_sensor_4).publish_state(false);      
          }

int probe1 = (data.data[11] << 8) + data.data[10]; # <- here you have to duplicate one line and increment the values for the probe name by one and the data by two (!)
  int probe2 = (data.data[13] << 8) + data.data[12];
  int probe3 = (data.data[15] << 8) + data.data[14]; # <- NOTE: the name for the probes counts from zero, not from one!

ESP_LOGI("ble_data", "    - %f %f %f %f", probe0 / 10.0, probe1 / 10.0, probe2 / 10.0, probe3 / 10.0); # <- here we need to add one "%f" for every new probe and divide every new probe by ten
  if (probe0 < 60000) {
  } else {
  }
  if (probe1 < 60000) {
  } else {
  }

# Every new probe needs it's own if statement
  # NOTE: as above, take note of the incrementation of the probes vs the ble_sensors. Probes start with zero, ble_sensors with 1!
  if (probe2 < 60000) {
    id(ble_sensor_3).publish_state(probe2 / 10.0);
  } else {
    id(ble_sensor_3).publish_state(0);                
  }
  if (probe3 < 60000) {
    id(ble_sensor_4).publish_state(probe1 / 10.0);
  } else {
    id(ble_sensor_4).publish_state(0);                
  }
}
sensor:
    name: "iBBQ Temperature Probe 3" # <- Increment the probe by one
    id: ble_sensor_3 # <- Increment the ble_sensor by one
    name: "iBBQ Temperature Probe 4"
    id: ble_sensor_4

You’re done replicating. If you have the six or eight probe version, just do the steps again and increment the numbers accordingly.

You can always add additional things to this ESP like other temperature or humidity sensors, or the control of a LED strip. But keep in mind, that the BLE stack used by ESPHome is not small. If you add other things, you can run into re-boots of the ESP. My experience is, if you don’t put a lot of stress on the ESP board, you can still use some other stuff. In my case the ESP is running the code above and additionally I use it for three of my self-made plant watering sensors. It fit’s perfectly, because the flowers (and their sensors) are standing on my living room windowsills, and the BBQ is right on the other side of the window. :slight_smile:

How to get the mac address?
On the first run of your ESP you might not know the actual mac address of your new thermometer. This is not a problem, as our ESP is scanning for all devices. Just follow the instructions beneath and you’ll get the mac address and can add it after the first run.

How to use this?
1.) Setup a new node in ESPHome, take care of the correct board type
2.) Open the yaml file for that node. Your settings for wifi, ap and so on need to be set
3.) Copy now the on_boot part from the code into your yaml file
4.) The three parts esp32_ble_tracker, script and sensor must be completly copied and pastd in your yaml file. If you already have a part for eg. sensor, just add the sensors to this, like so:

add sensors (taken from my above mentioned plant sensors
sensor:
  - platform: adc
    pin: GPIO33
    name: "Flora Livingroom Window Rubber Tree"
    attenuation: 11db
    unit_of_measurement: '%'
    update_interval: 300sec
    filters:
      - calibrate_linear:
          # Map 0.0 (from sensor) to 0.0 (true value)
          - 2.76 -> 0.0
          - 1.08 -> 100.0
      - median:
          window_size: 7
          send_every: 4
          send_first_at: 2

5.) Delete the line with the mac address, like so

on_ble_advertise:
    - then:

6.) Switch your thermometer “on”
7.) Save and upload the yaml to your ESP node
8.) After uploading and restarting the node, wait a bit and look for the mac address in the log entries.
9.) Go back to edit the node and add the line for the mac_address back to your yaml. Save, upload and restart the node.
10.) You’re done, have fun with your newly integrated Inkbird BBQ thermometer.
11.) You can use these sensors in all kind of automations or notifications or where ever you need to in HA

These instructions are heavily based on the script from VanFlipsen found in the still open request to add Inkbird sensors natively to ESPHome on Github. Thanks!

There is one drawback at the moment, and that is the battery power readout. The problem is, the temperatures are sent automatically via BT by the thermometer, so we can grab them without any authentication or sending commands to the thermometer. Unfortunately the battery isn’t sent automatically, so the thermometer must be polled. Right now I haven’t found an easy way to set this up in ESPHome, but I’ll watch the possibilities closely and will update this thread, if something comes up.

Right now it’s just the temperatures, but for me it’s enough for the moment. If batteries run out, I always have AAA batteries around. :slight_smile:

Have fun! :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Completely new to ESPHome…can you recommend me a board that you used and where to buy? It’s all confusing me.

I personally use an ESP32 dev board, this one:

But it depends where you live and where you want to order. Just look for a shop in your country, where you can get maker stuff. Where do you come from? Maybe even Amazon has one of these, in Germany they do. :slight_smile:

But in general, that’s the beauty of ESPHome, you can use nearly every ESP board. You just have to adjust the board type while creating your firmware. Take a look around in your country, and if are not sure, which board to use, post some links so others can take a look at. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When starting I would get an esp32 dev board with a usb connection. Easy to flash and easy to power. No soldering or wires to connect for this project :slight_smile:

EDIT: a lot of boards are ultimately source from China and have crap components, if you buy from this guy they will be better quality QuinLED-ESP32 - quinled.info

1 Like

@paddy0174 This is so Awesome. I have been trying with only mild success to integrate my Inkbird IBT-4XS into HA for a while. This connects my DIY bbq smoker to HA. ​I was using Inkbird_BLE2MQTT which used to work OK but recently wont connect to MQTT server. Your code worked first time!!! And has been up and running now for 24 hrs.

One question… I keep getting these weird signal dropouts. Like the connection is getting dropped and it the reports zero degrees. I tried removing the else statements in the esp32_ble_tracker lamba section but dropouts are still there. I have used ESPHome several times but I would still call myself a novice on its capabilities and am a user who needs a good “how to” to really get anything done.

Any advice on things to try to mitigate these dropouts? The devices are in the same small room btw so I dont think it is a range issue.

[22:23:53][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:23:55][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:23:56][D][esp32_ble_tracker:628]: Found device 7E:E3:11:8C:05:BA RSSI=-86
[22:23:56][D][esp32_ble_tracker:649]: Address Type: RANDOM
[22:23:56][D][esp32_ble_tracker:653]: TX Power: 2
[22:23:56][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:062]: New BLE device
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:063]: address: B4:BC:7C:30:C6:76
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:064]: name: iBBQ
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:065]: Advertised service UUIDs:
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:068]: - 0xFFF0
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:071]: Advertised service data:
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:077]: Advertised manufacturer data:
[22:24:22][I][ble_adv:080]: - 0x0000: (00.00.B4.BC.7C.30.C6.76.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00 (16))
[22:24:22][I][ble_data:089]: - 21.000000 21.000000
[22:24:22][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:22][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:22][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:22][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:062]: New BLE device
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:063]: address: B4:BC:7C:30:C6:76
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:064]: name: iBBQ
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:065]: Advertised service UUIDs:
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:068]: - 0xFFF0
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:071]: Advertised service data:
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:077]: Advertised manufacturer data:
[22:24:24][I][ble_adv:080]: - 0x0000: (00.00.B4.BC.7C.30.C6.76.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00 (16))
[22:24:24][I][ble_data:089]: - 21.000000 21.000000
[22:24:24][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:24][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:24][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:24][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:50][D][esp32_ble_tracker:628]: Found device A4:C1:38:B9:76:E9 RSSI=-84
[22:24:50][D][esp32_ble_tracker:649]: Address Type: PUBLIC
[22:24:50][D][esp32_ble_tracker:651]: Name: ‘ATC_B976E9’
[22:24:50][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:53][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:55][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:24:56][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:062]: New BLE device
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:063]: address: B4:BC:7C:30:C6:76
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:064]: name: iBBQ
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:065]: Advertised service UUIDs:
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:068]: - 0xFFF0
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:071]: Advertised service data:
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:077]: Advertised manufacturer data:
[22:25:03][I][ble_adv:080]: - 0x0000: (00.00.B4.BC.7C.30.C6.76.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00 (16))
[22:25:03][I][ble_data:089]: - 21.000000 21.000000
[22:25:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:50][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:53][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:55][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:25:56][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 0.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 0.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 0.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:03][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 0.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:12][D][esp32_ble_tracker:180]: Starting scan…
[22:26:18][D][esp32_ble_tracker:628]: Found device 7E:E3:11:8C:05:BA RSSI=-86
[22:26:18][D][esp32_ble_tracker:649]: Address Type: RANDOM
[22:26:18][D][esp32_ble_tracker:653]: TX Power: 2
[22:26:21][D][esp32_ble_tracker:628]: Found device 68:72:C3:C3:1C:05 RSSI=-87
[22:26:21][D][esp32_ble_tracker:649]: Address Type: PUBLIC
[22:26:23][D][esp32_ble_tracker:628]: Found device 70:18:46:8F:FB:84 RSSI=-94
[22:26:23][D][esp32_ble_tracker:649]: Address Type: RANDOM
[22:26:23][D][esp32_ble_tracker:653]: TX Power: 2
[22:26:50][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 0.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:062]: New BLE device
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:063]: address: B4:BC:7C:30:C6:76
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:064]: name: iBBQ
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:065]: Advertised service UUIDs:
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:068]: - 0xFFF0
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:071]: Advertised service data:
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:077]: Advertised manufacturer data:
[22:26:51][I][ble_adv:080]: - 0x0000: (00.00.B4.BC.7C.30.C6.76.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00.D2.00 (16))
[22:26:51][I][ble_data:089]: - 21.000000 21.000000
[22:26:51][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:51][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:51][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:51][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 4’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:53][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 1’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:55][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 3’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy
[22:26:56][D][sensor:121]: ‘iBBQ Temperature Probe 2’: Sending state 21.00000 °C with 0 decimals of accuracy

The dropouts are due to the timer expiring before the next BLE broadcast comes in. I had to change the timer to 120s and mode: restart. My unit seems to send the broadcast between 90seconds and 140 seconds so if the timer expires before it comes in the temp goes to 0C. Also without the mode restart the time will expire and often did right after another packet came in.

I now have my ESP32 with a PID controlling a servo so I should be able to have it control the air damper on the smoker to control the temperature.

Now if they will add writing to BLE characteristics I’ll change to using the notify for the temperature characteristic so I will get updates more often. Anyone know where in the future writing to characteristics might be?

1 Like

Thank you! Worked just fine with IBT-4XS.
mac adress of Inkbird can be found with apps like nRF Connect.

Finished my interface. Now I have everything I want from wireless thermometer.
Heavy based on this:

and this:

3 Likes

Truly fantastic, it works perfectly. Can the sampling rate be increased?

Nice project.

Any chance you can share your YAML for your dashboard?

Oh yes that would be awesome ! :pray:
Thank you so much paddy0174 for this project ! I’ll try it !

sure. Here is lovelace part:

- icon: mdi:grill
    title: Grill
    cards:
      - type: vertical-stack
        cards:
          - type: horizontal-stack
            cards:
                cards:
                  - type: gauge
                    name: Probe 1
                    entity: sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_1
                    needle: true
                    min: 0
                    max: 300
                    severity:
                      green: 93
                      yellow: 130
                      red: 200
                  - type: glance
                    entities:
                      - entity: sensor.target_alert_temp_probe_1
                    show_name: false
                    show_icon: false
                cards:
                    name: Probe 2
                    entity: sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_2
                    max: 120
                    severity:
                      green: 0
                      yellow: 75
                      red: 97
                    entities:
                      - entity: sensor.target_alert_temp_probe_2
          - type: horizontal-stack
            cards:
                cards:
                    name: Probe 3
                    entity: sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_3
                    severity:
                    entities:
                      - entity: sensor.target_alert_temp_probe_3
                cards:
                    name: Probe 4
                    entity: sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_4
                    severity:
                    entities:
                      - entity: sensor.target_alert_temp_probe_4

cards:
            cards:
              - type: entities
                title: Setting Grill Targets
                show_header_toggle: false
                entities:
                  - entity: input_number.grill_alert_low
                    name: Low
                  - entity: input_number.grill_alert_high
                    name: High

cards:
                title: Setting Probe Targets
                entities:
                  - entity: input_number.grill_probe_2_target
                    name: Probe 2
                  - entity: input_number.grill_probe_3_target
                    name: Probe 3
                  - entity: input_number.grill_probe_4_target
                    name: Probe 4
                columns: 1
                entities:
                  - entity: automation.gril_uvedomleniia
                    tap_action:
                      action: toggle

cards:
            cards:
                title: Setting graph timing
                entities:
                  - entity: input_number.grill_graph_time
                    name: Hours to show

- type: "custom:config-template-card"
        variables:
          - "states['input_number.grill_graph_time'].state"
        entities:
          - input_number.grill_graph_time
        card:
          type: custom:mini-graph-card
          name: BBQ
          icon: mdi:grill
          hours_to_show: "${vars[0]}"
          hour24: true
          points_per_hour: 30
          show:
            legend: true
            labels: true
            labels_secondary: true
          entities:
            - entity: sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_1
              name: Grill temperature
            - sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_2
            - sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_3
            - sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_4

thats configuration.yaml

sensors:
      target_alert_temp_probe_1:
        friendly_name: "Grill Temp Alert"
        value_template: >-
          {% if (states.sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_1.state | int) < (states.input_number.grill_alert_low.state | int) or (states.sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_1.state | int)  > (states.input_number.grill_alert_high.state | int) %}
            Alert
          {% else %}
            Normal
          {% endif %}
      target_alert_temp_probe_2:
        friendly_name: "Probe 2 Target Alert"
          {% if (states.sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_2.state | int) >= (states.input_number.grill_probe_2_target.state | int) %}
            Alert
          {% else %}
            Normal
          {% endif %}
      target_alert_temp_probe_3:
        friendly_name: "Probe 3 Target Alert"
          {% if (states.sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_3.state | int) >= (states.input_number.grill_probe_3_target.state | int) %}
            Alert
          {% else %}
            Normal
          {% endif %}
      target_alert_temp_probe_4:
        friendly_name: "Probe 4 Target Alert"
          {% if (states.sensor.ibbq_temperature_probe_4.state | int) >= (states.input_number.grill_probe_4_target.state | int) %}
            Alert
          {% else %}
            Normal
          {% endif %}
      grill_alert_low:
        friendly_name: "Grill Low Temp"
        unit_of_measurement: "ºC"
        value_template: "{{ (((states('input_number.grill_alert_low') | float)))|round(1)}}"
      grill_alert_high:
        friendly_name: "Grill High Temp"
        value_template: "{{ (((states('input_number.grill_alert_high') | float)))|round(1)}}"
      grill_probe_2_target:
        friendly_name: "Probe 2 Target Temp"
        value_template: "{{ (((states('input_number.grill_probe_2_target') | float)))|round(1)}}"
      grill_probe_3_target:
        friendly_name: "Probe 3 Target Temp"
        value_template: "{{ (((states('input_number.grill_probe_3_target') | float)))|round(1)}}"
      grill_probe_4_target:
        friendly_name: "Probe 4 Target Temp"
        value_template: "{{ (((states('input_number.grill_probe_4_target') | float)))|round(1)}}"
input_number:
  grill_alert_low:
    name: Grill Low Temp
    initial: 65
    min: 18
    max: 260
    step: 1
  grill_alert_high:
    name: Grill High Temp
    initial: 170
    min: 18
    max: 260
  grill_probe_2_target:
    name: Probe 2 Target Temp
    initial: 70
    min: 15
    max: 125
  grill_probe_3_target:
    name: Probe 3 Target Temp
  grill_probe_4_target:
    name: Probe 4 Target Temp
  grill_graph_time:
    name: Hours to show
    initial: 5
    min: 1
    max: 24
5 Likes

Thanks. I couldn’t figure out the glance portion.

Thank you for the code.
I get a message error (fyi: I’m using only 2 probes)

I installed the config template card through HACS, and checked that the file is present in /config/www/community/config-template-card/config-template-card.js

Another point:
I added sensor: at the beginning of your code in the configuration.yaml. Am I right ?

I can’t wait to use this project in my garden :wink:

If you have only two probes please remove half of the code from lovelace and config sections.
About missing card: check that Configuration - Dashboard - Resources. I’ve included resources with little different path maybe that will work:

lovelace:
  mode: yaml
  resources:
    - url: /local/community/config-template-card/config-template-card.js
      type: module

You can’t have two sensor sections so you add everything to your existing sensors section.

It appears you have an automation tied to the “Off” button. I am curious what that automation does?
Thank you.

If first probe (grill temp) goes out of range or other 3 reach goal i’l get notification.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This interface is awesome, I cannot wait to get it up and running. I have a Weber iGrill connect to a raspberri pi that is sending mqtt to HA. One problem I have is, the temp in my interface shows up as UNKNOWN when I hgave my pi powered off. What I would like it to show, is a default of 0 degrees. Would you know how I can put code in my configuration to default to 0 degrees if there is no MQTT transactions? It causes problems with the gauges when non-numeric data is present(UNKNOWN)

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "bbq/grill/probe1"
    name: "Probe 1"
    qos: 0
    unit_of_measurement: "°F"

Thank you so much.
It works.
Only the notification is missing for the lovelace side.
On the esp side, I get huge dropouts, like @mazcoder have.

try use

value_template