Installation of Hassio on Synology NAS

No, I didn’t write that you can use hass.io plugins without hass.io. These are specialized docker containers only working in a hass.io environment.

What I meant is, that most of the hass.io addons are just rewrapped versions of regular docker containers.

For example I’m using a regular mosquitto docker container downloaded from the docker hub via the Synology docker GUI as my mqtt server instead of the hass.io addon providing the same service.

If there’s no regular docker container that provides the same functionality as the hass.io addon, you are out of luck, respectively need to install it manually.

Regarding the lovelace migration script: As this is a one-timer I manually installed it in my current home assistant docker container and it worked fine. It will be gone with the next update of the container, but that’s ok, as I won’t need this script ever again.

Regarding the lovelace migration script: As this is a one-timer I manually installed it in my current home assistant docker container and it worked fine. It will be gone with the next update of the container, but that’s ok, as I won’t need this script ever again.

How did you run the lovelace conversion script manually on a DS918+ ?

thanks
Lee

I don’t use a DS918+, but a DS216+II. But using the script in a docker container should be the same for all Synology models.

I downloaded the migration script from here and I put it in the HA config dir:

I opened a ssh session on the nas and ran a shell inside the running HA docker container with

docker exec -i -t homeassistant /bin/bash

I followed the instruction on the GitHub page, i.e. running a pip3 install -U homeassistant before running the migration script.

I’m not entirely sure, if the pip install is really necessary when the script is used directly in the HA docker container. But it didn’t break anything and whatever got installed will be gone, when I delete and recreate the HA container the next time.

The attempt to update SynoCommunity’s HomeAssistant spk it is in Pull-Request: https://github.com/SynoCommunity/spksrc/pull/3462 … the result might be a bit stale when it lands, but the next update should be a bit less work.

(It’s my PR)

Is there any way to install it now?

I’ll try to write up a guide, perhaps even create a spk.

Does your NAS support Docker (this is a must to get hass.io support) and which CPU do you have (uname -m)?

然,支持docker。CPU是Intel J1900。

What does that mean? Please provide the arch (by running uname -m)

Edit: here is a short instruction on how to run hassio on Synology hass.io on Synology · GitHub

That looks easy enough to do. I’ll give that a try when I find some time. No other requirements needed before running this? (Given that the arch is good etc.)

This still runs Docker images that are visible in the Docker app I assume? Is there anything that would make this unstable for daily use? I’ve been looking to use Hassio instead of regular Docker install for a while now, but I don’t want to trade in performance or stability for example.

@everyone, please post if you’re trying or using this, looking forward to experiences from others.

Yes it is supposed to be easy but currently is it not working fully. I can get the hassio supervisor to run and start homeassistant but I can’t access hass.io from there.

See my post as a proof of concept so far. It needs some more testing and I’ve already submitted a patch to hass.io (there might be more that is needed).

I’ll keep you updated with my progress but I’m hopeful to get close to full hass.io functionality into intel_64 arch with native docker support.

Also, the docker instances will still be seen in Synology’s docker app.

In terms of performance it should be the same as for the Docker version of home-assistant on Synology. I hope stability will be the same once I figure out what is causing the connection issue.

4 Likes

Sounds great. Amazing work! Looking forward to try it soon!

1 Like

x86_64 :微笑:

I’m hoping that we get somewhere to easily install hassio on Synology. That would make life much easier.
Good luck experts

1 Like

Continuous attention…

1 Like

Hello Fredrik,

I am really interested if you got it running. I am now using home assistant via docker and testing hass.io via virtualbox on synology. Having hass.io on synology docker will be perfect!

BR,
M.

1 Like

Any updates on getting this working?

It’s been some really crazy weeks so I’ve not had time to look at it more, perhaps in mid June.

2 Likes

While there is a wait for progress on this - i’m thinking of getting a 1019+ (to run plex and cctv + move to hass from smartthings).

I’m confused as to if it will work (i.e easy setup and updating) or does it depends how it’s installed? id like to install it via best practice recommended by the community so i guess waiting for docker

derandiunddasbo said this earlier in the thread:

If your Synology is able to run docker and you want to run home assistant on it, the official home assistant docker image is the best way to go in my opinion.

is this still the case?

thank you

I think so yes, that’s how I run Hass. Very easy to maintain. But maybe the experience with Hassio will be even better :slight_smile:

Ok friends, I’ve finally got some time to reinvestigate hass.io on Synology and it turns out that there is an issue with the network configuration on Synology I’ve found a way around it and the instructions on gist are updated.

Please report back your successes and I’ll build a native Synology package.

1 Like