Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

Have a look at the latest release notes: supervisor is no integrated into the settings.

2 Likes

superstarā€¦thanksā€¦thought Iw as going mad

Hi, I have a problem installing home assistant on synology Nas. I have done an installation of the same type previously on an identical Nas and have not had any problems. Basically when I try the virtual machine manager wizard I get the error ā€œcluster creation failedā€. You can help me?

1 Like

Cluster cretion? Do you have 2 or more NAS devices in Cluster or are you trying to create cluster? You shouldnā€™t get this error when creating just VM.

Hi Guys,

Iā€™m stuck during the installation on my new DS920+, i have installed everything following the instructions here above and from the website.

Now I have, when I (remote) connect true the Virtual Machine Manager the following message.

ā€œBooting from Hard Diskā€¦ā€ This message is there al the time, what can I do to fix this?

Are you sure you followed everything by the letter? What have you selected as firmware for VM?

Yeahā€¦ you are right, I didnā€™t use the correct bios. When I changed it it worked good.
Btw, thanks for the video tutorial :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:
BIOS is most common error for this problem. And glad it was this as others are more difficult to pinpoint.

Has anyone had issues when running in Synology VMM that HA canā€™t access the Syno IP address?

For example, my Syno is 192.168.1.20, HA VM is .19. Using the ā€œTerminal & SSHā€ addon, I can ping almost anything. I can ping other devices on my local network, I can ping Google, but I cannot ping 192.168.1.20. Can anyone confirm this behaviour, or point me in the direction of a fix?

Do you have fixed IP addresses on those devices or are they on DHCP? Maybe Syno changed itā€™s IP? Itā€™s a VERY good practice to set those IPā€™s to fixed, not DHCP.

@Protoncek All fixed IPs.

I created another VM to test if it was a limitation of VMM, but Ubuntu was able to ping .20 just fine. So far the problem seems to be restricted to HAOS.

Sorry, i missunderstood youā€¦ i thought that you canā€™t ping syno at all, but i see that the problem is only from HA.
I tried my HA setup: i can ping Syno IP fine. So, itā€™s something in your HA setup, i guess. Maybe BearderTinker will knowā€¦

1 Like

Ok, thanks for confirming at least that it should work @Protoncek. I might try spin up a new HA VM and test, then maybe transfer across.

Well thatā€™s frustrating. Brand new VM (on left) works just fine. My current fully configured one (right) broken.

Yes, my instance is configured for auto address, but there is a static DHCP allocation

Both configured in Syno VMM identically, both using same network.

Oh well, looks like itā€™s time to transition all my config across.

Iā€™m using DSM 6.2 with VMM, losing the Conbee 1-2 times a week and everything.
My VMs have periodically stopped working and Iā€™ve had to migrate to new ones every time.
My third one failed this morning. The IP field in VMM has appeared empty for a while, but the IP was actually assigned and it was working fine (10.0.0.11, static DHCP).
Now when I start the VM and connect to the console, I just get ā€œAutoboot-ā€ plus no IP is assigned.
I was at 63.6/64gb of the allocated disk space when this happened. I expanded afterwards but nothing changed, still stuck.
Any ideas as to what might be causing this again and again? Could I recover without reinstalling?
It was -5 Celcius this morning and we woke up with the heat turned off, itā€™s getting a bit annoyingā€¦
DS1621+, 20GB RAM

Itā€™s very hard to guess like this - one of the first things I would check is what Firmware you selected for virtual machine - is it UEFI. Is Boot from Virtual Disk ticked ON.
Check if your vSwitch in network on Synology, is it enabled.
But other issue I see here is what are you doing to have 64Gb of disk filled so quickly?

Conbee losing connection is something that happens to some (not conbee but any USB stick), while it does not happen to others. Even on DSM 7 - Synology is aware of it, there is open ticket that Iā€™ve read but not sure if any patch has been made recently.

Thanks for your time. All the settings you mentioned were correct.
Anyway, I gave up and installed the Conbee on a rpi, itā€™s been working fine for a week now.
The disk is being filled by the recorder, looking into that as well.

OK, I have edited this post as I was stuck as to why HA was asking for an existing user on the local:8123, knowing that Iā€™d already stopped my previous Ubuntu VM HA from runningā€¦

However, Iā€™d forgotten that I had a spare PC running another instance of it (Iā€™ve been doing a lot of testing lol).

Soā€¦ thatā€™s now switched off and hence my original query is resolved.

Nowā€¦ I have a new issue.

My VMM on a DS920+ reports I have an IP of 192.168.1.x
So I go to 192.168.1.x and nothing shows up.

I know my modem uses 192.168.1.xyz to get to the admin panel of the modem but my router uses 192.168.0.xyz

I tried 192.168.0.x just in case but that too is a no-go.

I have tried the local:8123 but that no longer takes me anywhere either (since I remembered to switch off the other PC running HAcore).

Any ideas, please?

Hello,
a silly question, have you tried 192.168.1.x:8123?
Is your firmware of the VM legacy or Uefi. Please try Uefi. Look here: click on your VM then action ā†’ edit ā†’ other
First Installation as VM on Synology takes a long time, because it installs all the updates.