Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

Hi Peerkn,

Yes, I have tried a variety of 192.168.x.y but nothing works… Earlier, when I first installed the VM, it had a 192.168.1.x address listed. Since I’ve rebooted it in the hopes of getting it up & running, it’s changed the IP range completely :frowning: The VMM now affords me a 172.30.32.1 address… I guess I’ll give that a try…

I’ve edited the network via DSM VMM and now have an IP of 192.168.0.59

Great!

But still nothing shows up when I browse to 192.168.0.59:8123

:frowning:

I guess you ARE trying via http, not https, correct? https won’t let you in…

That is all correct. The IP’s 172.xxx… is a ip of the virtual networkbridge from DSM, though i learned yesterday. Is the IP of your VM the same as your DSM? Next click on → connect and look if home assistant is correct started. Here you can see the Os version, the Home assistant core, Home assistant url and observer url. It ends with ha> …: Reset adapter for me and in the next line a blinking cursor.
Did you use the .ova file for installation?

when you look at the Virtual machines page, what IP does it show for the VM?

also, when you look at your VMM networks, do they show connected?

Protoncek I have tried both and had got nowhere.

However, I’ve changed the networking protocol within DSM7s’ VMM for this VM to VirtIO and now have a working IP. Having gone out for a while to clear my head (and top up on caffeine) I now have access to the 192.168.0.59:8123 VM/HA. However, it now reports that the Supervisor couldn’t start. So I’ve effectively not improved my situation one bit as that was the whole point of doing all this, was to get the Supervisor/HassIO working to enable the Add-On Store… But, oh well…

peerkn Thanks. I realise the 172.x.x.x address pool was for the virtual networking but it’s been fully inaccessible to me. I’d understood the concept was that it provided two IPs, one accessible to the human operator and internal for it’s own operations which the human would never need to interact with.
Originally I installed the first link that @fredrike has hyperlinked to which is a version 6.0 but I then realised his second link was to the 7.5 version. With that in mind, I’m currently running two VMs - one with OS6.0 (working but failed to boot the Supervisor) and a second with OS7.5 (working but completely inaccessible to me at this time).

It seems all problems have somehow resolved themselves… uhhhm.

So I worked from the OS6 with no Supervisor, I followed the super-easy upgrade link to make it OS 7.5 and now - woohoo - I have a working HAOS7.5 that has a working IP and I can log in and it even has Supervisor…

Yeehawww!!!

Now to try and not break it…

Hello KarlM

i know the happiness. I had even some of your problems. Last time i need a new installaion. I took the .ova file from here:

DOWNLOAD THE APPROPRIATE IMAGE

In about 20 minutes it was running. The longest time was the installation of home assistant itself and updating itself. You can test it with a new VM on your DSM. Make a fullupdate from your old home assistant installation and restore it to your new system. No fear. It is one of the easiest installation i ever had. I am comming from domoticz. It was horrible to set up a new system or update it to a new version. Hours for hours and at the end instable.

Best regards

peerkn

I have the same issue!!!

Hello all, I had a working/running HA installation on DSM7 since it was possible to do so, but now i cant access it anymore eventhough it’s running and nothing seems wrong with it in the VM Manager app… This happened after I started to use duck dns, worked for the first few days then just stopped and now I cant access my HA anymore when i used to type the duckdns address iwould now send me to my router’s config page!?! It’s gotten even worse this week, I changed internet provider and I had to change many network settings and added a second Modem/Router so now i dont even see the ip anymore in the VM Manager app at all…

When trying to use the “connect” function it just loops between the tiano core logo and a few lines from the cli:

anyone has pointers?
Tried adding more memory to the VM
ip:8123 or homeassistant.local:8123 are not working either
Using UEFI
Fixed IP
Was working before for a long time it just stopped!

About to just re-install from scratch and restore some stuff from my old install…

UPDATE:
Tried downloading the latest 7.5.ova
installed folowing procedure
cant reach cli when using the connect function in VM Manager:
same loop as cited above but i get an extra 2nd screen in the “loop” ( black screen → Tiano Core logo → and the two screenshots:

Here’s a snapshot of my VM manager:

Not sure if you solved it or not.
By looking at the image you posted, you have issue with mapped drive.
This can be a lot of things - wrong virtual disk attached, missed .ova installation, …
Try to get again through installation, follow through it carefully, double check UEFI is selected etc.

@LeFab

Please also check your network config in your VM. In your screenshot is no ip. The black screeshot shows a boot problem.

Take 64 GB virtual disk, 2 GB Ram is enough and 2 cpu´s

USB isn´t from interest for your problem.

Ein Installationsvideo für Home Assistant Beginner auf deutsch ist hier zu finden:

[Home Assistant Tutorial deutsch - Installation auf Synology Diskstation mit DSM 7.1 - YouTube]
(Home Assistant Tutorial deutsch - Installation auf Synology Diskstation mit DSM 7.1 - YouTube)

Es wurde eine Diskstation mit DSM 7.1 verwendet.

2 Likes

Tried all suggestions from here and many others, nothing ended up working… I decided to re-install and actually start clean and fresh.
I have been modifying and fiddling around for 3 years on that older config, and it was time to start clean anyways… Too manny unfinished and halfway done trials and it’s just a better idea to have a better more functional HA.

I’ve had my Synology DS920+ (DSM-7) VM HAOS install working well for a few weeks… the NAS is set to reboot once a week and it seems I lose my network config after. I’ve just spent hours faffing trying to get the VMs networking up again.

Bizarre as it sounds, I’ve had to give the VM a second network adaptor as I’d tried editing/changing the default to all three formats without success. Nothing would get me back to my lovely 192.168.0.59:8123 log in… After adding a 2nd adaptor, I found a new IP working on x.x.x.61 instead. So I tried and updated my port forwarding on the router and whoopee - I was able to log in locally and via my duckdns as well as my NC cloud.

Does anyone know why Synology VM would cease to operate it’s networking just because of a reboot or how I can stop it happening (without stopping the reboot as I’d like for it to be rebooted at least once a month)?

First, i see no reason for weekly (or any, for that matter) reboot. I have my DS920+ run without reboot and all works perfectly. It’s Synology, and it’s linux… it doesn’t get “funky” after a while…

Second: did you set setting for VM ? in Virtual machine manager → settings → virtual machine shutdown behaviour → set to “suspend”. If it’s set to “ask…” then VM may get corrupted.

Thank you for the constructive input here. I’ve edited accordingly… I would have thought though that the HAOS itself would appreciate the reboot, if only to clear the cache or whatnot :slight_smile:

HAOS is rebooted often anyway, at least if you keep up with updates of HA, HAOS ands HACS addons - some of HACS updates require reboot.
But, i’d thought that Synology would have “suspend” or “shutdown” by default. Setting “ask” is the worst possible, since if reboot is automatic there’s no-one who would answer the question, so consequently it shuts down improperly.
If settings are ok then power loss is only time you can experience improper shutdown. But, i have a solution for that, too: UPS, which is connected to Synology via USB, too. That way Syno can survive short power cuts, and at longer ones it knows when batteries are empty and trigger syno shutdown.

I have a DS918+ with 12GB of memory. I am running HA on a NUC but now see some advantages in running HOAS. I tested on another NUC (ProxMox) and on my Synology. Running at my synology HA seems sluggish; going from one dashboard to another takes a few seconds (with 2 cores and 4Gb memory) while on ProxMox (1 core and 2 Gb memory) its quit snappy.
Somebody can share their experiences with snappiness (is this English?) on DSM…

kr

Han

I have assigned all 4 cores on my DS920+. HA runs faster than with only 2 cores, while Synology doesn’t seem to run any slower. I have 16GB of RAM, 8GB is assigned to HA - way too much, i know… but, i have it plenty, so why not…
I can’t compare a lot, but i know that RPi3 runs waaaaay slower…

1 Like