Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

So guys, I’m still on 5.13 with a SSD and the recommended USB to SATA adapter.
Should I try the update to 6.5 or not?

I have taken all OS updates without any problems.

1 Like

I have my Pi 4 running since the first beta of Home Assistant Operating System 5.x from a SSD. I updated to every Home Assistant Operating System/Core/Supervisor version and didn‘t had any problem, it is simply running.

Ok so I just took the leap of faith and everything theems to be working great… Thank you!

1 Like

I am using raspberry pI 4 with Home assistant on a 32GB sd as an experiment since may 2021, now that card is almost full. I want to move over to SSD based setup.
Which is the cheapest and reliable SSD to use in that case?
which power supply I should buy? any mobile usb C adapter with a rated output of 5V 3.5A will work? or should I buy the official raspberry pi adapter (which is not easily available)

I’m using an argon one case and kingston ssd with a cana kit 3.5A. The argon 3.5a is suitable as well, was out of stock when I ordered .

i have both, the official raspberry pi adapter and an 5 USB port device with enough power, and both are working without problems (raspi4, 1gb).
SSD is not important, the adapter (usb -SATA) is. See first post.

I am pretty sure though that the 1GB will give you problems when your HA setup starts to grow. Had this on RPi3. System starts to slow down, especially when showing multiple history graphs on the same Lovelace page. The complex container structure of HA together with db caching of many entities seems to be quite memory hungry.

1 Like

can I run Kingston A400 using a 5V 2.5A power supply? Raspberry Pi 4 Bootloader USB Mass Storage Boot Guide

How can i edit the config.txt?
eg. via ssh? I want to install a zwave shield.
Thanks

EDIT: Just connect the ssd to a computer. The first lapop did not recognice the ssd , but second did…

New findings, moved away from the SSD back to SD as I needed to make sure things worked.
To my surprise the behaviour continued, crashing a few days after I left the HA alone.
So no actual issue with the SSD (or the power supply…).
Found another thread with a lot of people having issues with crashes after a time of inactivity.

Seems that what is working for a lot of people is to downgrade HA OS to 4.20

So could be that the SSD and the never ending power supply discussion gets some unjust blame for for issues when it’s perhaps a bug introduced in newer OS versions.

My next activity is to downgrade to 4.20 and hopefully that will help.

That is not my take away, at all, of that thread. Just be aware if your running a supervised system, the supervisor cannot be downgraded. I doubt 4.2 will play nice but hey you never know.

Also 4.x doesn’t support usb boot.

Just made the switch - it went great and this guide is great. Used the StarTech 2.5″ SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter. Now my HA on the PI4 is blazing fast - and plenty of room for growth.

1 Like

Yeah, we’ll see.
4.x not supporting USB boot is OK since I reverted to SD card.

It’s a pity that you try to demotivate those who successfully convert their systems to full USB boot. Please don’t. My own HA installation boots from USB alone since this was even possible in 2020. Rock solid and without any problems. Starting with an early 5.0 beta of HA OS and using most of the 5.x and 6.x versions since then.

There are quite some pitfalls in getting USB boot to run and I clearly point at that fact in the guide. But if you convert successfully your system is usually extremely stable.

The fact that there are more problem reports here than reports of success is the result of a reporting bias. Those who are happy don’t report problems. If it weren’t like that I would have taken down this guide long time ago.

3 Likes

It’s the same here. I also started with version 5.0 and since then I have no problem. Today I am on version 6.6 and the system is stable. I would never go back to the SD card. Rpi4 8Gb HaOS 2021.11.5

2 Likes

@Jpsy, sorry if that’s what came through here. Absolutely not trying de demotivate anyone from using SSD.
I reverted back to SD as a troubleshooting step and as you can see from my post my problems remained so the SSD was not the culplit here.
So in that respect my previous transition to SSD was also a success.
I might very well go back to SSD when my issue has been sorted out.

1 Like

Updated to HA OS 7.0 about 12 hours ago.
Works nicely.

~ ha os update --version 7.0

switching back to a sd card is an okay troubleshooting step i just recommended someone to do that. also using a ssd enclosure or adapter that doesnt power off the sbc would also be a good step. like this one here. quit trying to power the world by usb you crazy kids. use those barrel connectors.

So you are advising the “crazy kids” here to use a external (mechanical) 3.5" HDD with their HA installation? :thinking: :rofl:

2 Likes