Integration for TP-Link Omada system

I would like to see a integration for the TP-Link Omada system. It is an sold widely, affordable system and it should have its own integration in Home Assistant

Hereā€™s a start - sometimes it wonā€™t load opn HA startup but if I disable it and re-enable it, it then loadsā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you for your comment. I saw this integration and did use it in the past. But this integration does not do very much. Until now it is not usefull and there is no real progress for some time.
Maybe with some time it can develop in a good working integration.

wowā€¦ did search always for tplink, never for omada. Having indeed an omada integration would be really nice for meā€¦ not just for wifi tracking, but also LAN/WAN bandwith test results, POE stateā€¦ not everyting from the management software, but enough sensors that could add value.

1 Like

Please vote for it.

Well this is all open source - so we all say to you - go for it! :slight_smile:

this is great, it is working, I can see ALL 120 entities ( Cleints ) tracked in HA. The problem is that All the entities are not being updated all show ā€œHOMEā€ even though they are not.

I think it is weakness of the Omada system, it does not track what client is actually connected.

Itā€™s not a weakness from Omada. If you log in you can see currently connected clients, both wired and wireless. Itā€™s either due to the API or the implementation in the integration.

I have a pretty sophisticated home network setup, and would prefer to be on a VPN (outgoing as CLIENT) at all times - and I have most clients in my home are automatically routed through same, so all that is set at the router (TL-ER7206 wired gigabit VPN router w/OC300 controller). However, when doing tax returns. ezpass web site, and others, I am rejected as being out of the country. Itā€™s not dificult to go into the Omada controller and flip the VPN off and then later back on by devise. However, it is somewhat time consuming, what I would really like to see is some way through an API to change the Transmission->Policy Routing Enable/Disable buttons - and better yet, from within Home Assistant.

I was pretty disgusted after buying into the Omada ecosystem (2 YEARS AGO), to see that they did not support outgoing OPENVPN as CLIENT to connect to VPN service providers - only becuase they FORGOT to include the ability to handle a user ID and password (they only supported the certificate). So, I use L2TP - but now finally they do support it and I am testing switching over. I had to wit TWO YEARS!

The reason why I also mention the second paragraph above is that the standard for OPENVPN certificates I can include within the OPENVPN certificate, rules to bypass the VPN for certain websites. Although that is a good workaround once set up - that would be a hassle anyway, to go in there and keep changing is as I discover websites which require no VPN.

Do you folks have a way to bypass the vpn when needed - in an easier manner than the above (and no vpn software on the clients is a requirement) - ?

FYI, there is a pending pull request for this integration.

4 Likes

Canā€™t wait, whoā€™s to merge , anyone we can tag here too ?

Thanks for pointing this out.
I just spent some time figuring out how much money Iā€™d need to spend on unifi stuff to be able to recycle power on a poe port for a camera acting up and turn off a kids internet access via home assistant. Yikes!
I hope he is successful and can get the omada integration on par with the unifi one.

@danbutter I believe you can turn off internet access in home assistant if you use the adguard plugin and then have adguard manage the dns for you (under DNS settings - disallow clients) - no?

Sorta yes, but it is only dns, it requires interaction and canā€™t be automated. I can do it now with pfsense, but itā€™s not perfect and sometimes open states remain functional even though I have an automation to kill them.
The reason I was looking at what ubiquity gear would cost is they have such a nice integration with home assistant.
I donā€™t have much (not nearly enough) time to play with home automation like I would prefer. Networking is another beast to tame.
I have some omada stuff now and you can do what I want to with it, but not in the app so I
need to sit at a pc and of course not in home assistantā€¦at least not yet. If the omada integration reached feature parity with the unifi stuff thatā€™d be awesome.
Thanks for the comment though!

You can do the timed access restrictions easily on the TP-Link router. First assign static IPā€™s to the related devices (Settings->Maintenance->Services->DHCP Reservation), then put the devices needed into an IP group (Settings->Profiles->Groups), set up time ranges (Settings->Profiles->Time Range) then go in and set up ACLā€™s (access Control Lists) (Settings->Network Security->Gateway ACL->Create New Rule), then pick permit/deny, the ip group, the direction, time range, and the source and destinations. That would schedule a time period for enabling or disabling access. (You can also block at the acccess point or switch level rather or in addition to gateway.)

You can set up several of these, and enable or disable several or all of them on your cell phone whether home or away from your local network. If it is a device that has a cellular connection, you would also have to go to your phone providerā€™s web site and freeze the deviceā€™s access if neededā€¦

As I was saying in my previous statement although itā€™s not in the App I just go into my Omada settings in a browser either at home on WiFi or through the Omada cloud - usually on my phone - to toggle those policy routing settings. Not really so convenient but it is doable. That is just for routing however. But as I was stating in my first paragraph in this message, set them all up on your PC (if easier) and then on your phone you can just enable or disable them at will on your phone browser whether you are home or notā€¦

Itā€™s not perfect but it is doable - wouldnā€™t that fix your timed access restriction concerns?

P.S., What I have long wished for was an API that would allow us to remotely and dirtectly enable or disable items set up on the router externally, which could then be shown as switches on an HA dashboard (that would be so nice!)ā€¦ You could also have the exact url of the relevant settings page as a shortcut on your phone browser

I updated my test instance with the new beta to check out the brand new Omada integration (TP-Link Omada - Home Assistant).
But I am not able to connect to my software controller. All I get are these errors:

Logger: homeassistant.components.tplink_omada.config_flow
Source: components/tplink_omada/config_flow.py:91
Integration: TP-Link Omada (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 09:05:08 (2 occurrences)
Last logged: 09:13:40

Unexpected API error: Omada controller responded 'HTTP Request Error' (404)
Unexpected API error: Omada controller responded 'Unexpected error: 0, message='Attempt to decode JSON with unexpected mimetype: text/html;charset=utf-8', url=URL('https://10.0.0.5:8043/c4147ec3f0cb813011922d0bef470b5b/login')' (0)
1 Like

I have det same problem

Only hardware controllers are supported at the moment.

Having said that, anyone got that working? My OC200 is at version 5.7.6
I canā€™t seem to figure out what URL to use

Same here. Can not configure keeps promting ā€˜unexpected errorā€™ . Running software controller 5.9.9.

Use a DNS name for your controller instead of the IP and you have to specify http:// or https://.