Introducing Hass.io Ingress

I am running 5 and I did set the port and it works.

The add-on is v5.0.0 because the add-on has breaking changesā€¦

I meant the Home Assistant 0.91.3 requirement for Ingress. I would have expected the ingress feature to be introduced 0.91.0 or 0.92.0 and not between those releases.

3 Likes

I have NGINX running on another box and if load any of the ingress links (such as VS Code, or web terminal) I get just a black screen. But if I modify the URL to use the local IP it loads fine. I am guessing itā€™s something in my NGINX config

I have a similar problem discribed here.

Ingress works fine with cloud and local.
But not with duckdns let encrypt and nginx proxy. Just a black screen. I forwareded the nginx port to a differend port then 443. Maybe this can cause problems?

The add-on locks a minor version, since it depends on a patch release to work properly. That is not that weird? Something was broken en fixed in 0.91.3 in order for this add-on to work.

1 Like

Thanks, I did not see Ingress mentioned in the Release Notes for 0.91.
I guess I missed it & assumed Ingress was introduced later since it was mentioned as new in this blog post.

1 Like

Ingress consists of 2 parts. 1 Home Assistant, 2 The Hassio Supervisor. Those have independent release cycles. The blog was announced was done after both parts were released and the first add-ons migrated.

1 Like

I had the bad gateway, and it did not appear to be an issue of not waiting, for me it was something cached. I tried Edge (which I rarely use) and it started right up, tried incognito in chrome and it started right up, cleared cookies, etc. and it still failed, cleared everything from all time in Chrome and it starts fine.

If you get the bad gateway, try incognito mode as a quick test to see if thatā€™s the issue.

Postscript: And as soon as you do that, when it refreshes (just refresh the browser, not a restart) you end up in the same situation. So clearing the cache is not a solution exactly, though it makes it clear the issue is self-inflicted by node-red, at least it would appear so.

0.91.4 fixed the problem for me

Looks good! Now we just need to be able to run hass.io as its own docker image(s), rather than having to install the entire OS.

Like this?

For advanced users, it is also possible to try Hass.io on your Linux server or inside a virtual machine. Examples given here are tested on Ubuntu, but the instructions should work as a guideline for installing on other Linux distrubutions.

1 Like

Youā€™ve been able to do that for a LOOOONG timeā€¦

2 Likes

This might be complete stupid. I am not a programmer. Would it be possible to make an add-on using ingress act like a web browser on your local network? It would take the place of having to setup a VPN to access other IOT devices on your network.

2 Likes

I guess so.

An NGINX/Caddy/Traefik reverse proxy container, configured as an ingress capable add-on, with configuration parameters allowing you to add your own internal URLs to be used in the reverse proxy process.

Itā€™s a pretty good idea really.

@frenck - I would love to watch a stream about this if u think its possible!

1 Like

The ZeroTier One addon might be what you are looking for?

Thank you David,

I hate to sound like I need to be spoon fed this stuff but apparently I do.
How do you configure this to work with HA? Any demos or tutorials I can find seem to be a bit above my current skill level. I am not actually asking you to tell me how to do this is this thread. is there any chance you know of a resource that will help me configure zero tier for HA?

Iā€™m not sure what you wantā€¦ There is a Hass.io addon for zerotier one. Itā€™s one of Frenckā€™s ones in the community addons repo. I just added that, setup the zerotier one account and added my devices as per the addon docsā€¦ Have you installed the addon?

Thatā€™s still a VPN.

I understand what they are asking about and it makes sense.

Not VPN access. A reverse proxy configuration tool without exposing or port forwarding.

1 Like