SOLVED! - Almost: Upgrading to 0.91.4 - DON'T do it and don't upgrade Node-red and Configurator

I’m not trying to take sides here, and I certainly don’t want to disparage this project. I’m here, and I want it to succeed.

I spent a career in IT. I’ve done coding, I’ve done customer support, I’ve worked on open-source software, proprietary software, internal company software and interfaces between them. I’ve coded in numerous high-level and low-level languages. I’ve developed and sold my own software, and I’ve developed systems for corporations and volunteer organizations.

In every case, success or failure rested on customer experience.

Let me assure you, you do have customers, and you do need to consider them.

I think a dismissive attitude toward users is the biggest risk this project faces. I don’t think it’s widespread at all, but I’ve encountered enough of it to have some concerns.

5 Likes

I agree and this Ingress change was not even mentioned in the Release Notes. The developers knew, but not the users.

IMO, the core HA team needs to realize the users should be their main market and the developers get second place. Without the users, this project would cease to exist.

They also should explain what Ingress IS. To be as an old IT guy, it was an old database platform.

2 Likes

It wasn’t part of a specific release but it does need a minimum release number (0.91.3) to work.

They did.

That was AFTER the issues when it was released in 0.91.0, breaking users.

So you’re saying they released Ingress in 0.91.0 yet its documentation states it needs a minimum of 0.91.3 to work?

I questioned that and actually the bugs were fixed in 0.91.4. 0.91.0 was apparently very buggy.

So, they left the confused users broken

1 Like

I think they need to add a “feature” to the Release Notes mentioning known issues.
We still see new threads about the cog that went missing in 0.91.0

1 Like

So… it’s only not working in one browser, on one device? And you’ve tried clearing your cache in Chrome?

1 Like

That’s a good idea. I think putting the known issues out there would hopefully help somewhat, because yeah, we are still seeing a lot of threads about things like the settings cog and sometimes it’s hard to surface the exact issue you’re having just by doing a search on here. That being said, I don’t think it would eliminate the issue of multiple threads entirely, as we still see lots of “I upgraded and it broke XYZ” threads from people who didn’t read the breaking changes.

Ok but cleaning cache - hm why ? I didn’t clean it on the other device (my poor logic) - I saw node-red once yesterday on my PC. Do you know what I will lose by clearing the Cache?

You won’t lose much by clearing cache, websites might load slightly slower for a bit compared to before because the cached data is gone, but that won’t last long.

May not have been an issue on the other device or browser because you didn’t have the old data pre-upgrade cached.

1 Like

The Chrome browser is really bad at using cached settings. One upgrade a while ago I did not realize HA was broken until I tried with my iPhone because Chrome happily used the cached missing pieces.

2 Likes

Ok Cache cleaned (300 MB)

It worked!!!

Generally speaking, I love the fast pace development of HA, and agree with the “read the breaking changes before updating” philosophy. However, in this case, if Ingress was mentioned in the release notes I initially overlooked it, or at least overlooked its significance. I think this was a huge change, and should have been discussed in more depth. The first thing I saw was a very brief “added Ingress” type statement that didn’t come close to emphasizing the significance of the change. It probably should have been at the top of the release blog post, with a detailed explanation, not a one-line mention in the change list.

I’m really glad I was too busy in the last two weeks to update, otherwise I’m sure I’d be in the same boat as those having trouble. I can now do so more carefully and with more research.

1 Like

Wow… I’m sorry about the node red bugs in ingress and do my best to spent tons of time in that addon to make it perfect for you guys and worst part is… I don’t even get to use it myself. Simply no time left.

If you don’t like ingress, use node red directly, if you don’t like the addon uninstall it.

It are flaming and totally none-constructive threads like this that makes donating and contributing developers leaving opensource projects.

So thank you so much for all these helpful and kind words.

Good luck.

19 Likes

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I, for one love the work you’ve done. Frankly, without your plugins I’m not sure I’d be using HA nearly as much as I do. So please, please, please, continue :slight_smile:

I’m glad to know that my accused “Trolling title” helped you and saved you from wasting time on this.

I really think Hassio have lots of possibilities - but common users will run away screaming if “customer experience awareness” is not taken into consideration. And then hassio will end as a small island of only “nerds-extremes” .

You guys should say thank you and that’s it. The platform is free open source, so no one owes you nothing. When you go into public free software in developpement what else can you expect.

Support the devs don’t put them down without them you have nothing but disconnected devices

1 Like

Yes we can use it or lose it.

But from a behaviorist point of view my hiccups can either improve usability or not.

iFrame add-ons stopped working from side panel is a “major” issue don’t you think?

We are now waiting 0.92 with patient.

One golden rule i’ve learned developing technologie over the years is simple never use your development machine or code in live environment. So i have one system that i use in my home that i will update only after i tested and tried all on my development system. This way no issue becomes major or gives you the frustration of having your wife complaining