Iolloi wall switch replacement smart dimmer UK first look

This is a review of the iolloi zigbee ‘smart dimmer’. Amazon identifies it as ID-UK20FW09, and the iolloi.co.uk site lists it as ID-UK21FW09 (possibly the same product with a new SKU ID for the new year?). It’s marginally cheaper via Amazon at £32 per unit and is on prime.

Verdict: I really like this dimmer. Other than in looks, it outperforms a Lightwave RF in every way.

Context

I’m in the UK and have struggled to find good options for wall switch replacements. I started out with Aeotec in-wall dimmers but I like having control of brightness from the physical switch, and the space requirement meant some very tight wiring.

I now use Lightwave RF dimmers, which are easier and simpler, look great, and are reliable, but I’m falling out of love with them because:

• They need internet access to operate
  • They require a proprietary hub
  • The on-device dimming speed is not controllable and is VERY slow to react
  • Super expensive! £60 for a 1-gang, £100 for 2-gang.

Recently I tried to buy some Samotech dimmers on Amazon and they were out of stock so Amazon recommended the iolloi instead, and I’d never heard of this and can’t find anything on it on the forums, but it was cheap so I bought one and so here we are.

Images

Comes in a simple cardboard box:

Zero stars for design effort but it looks credibly like a basic dimmer switch:

Wiring is incredibly easy - no neutral required. Back includes CE and Zigbee certifications, but no product name or code :man_facepalming:. It says it supports circuits of 5V-250V:

Performance

Putting it in discovery mode involves turning the light on and then double-press-and-hold the button until the light flashes. I found it was discovered by Home Assistant fairly quickly as ‘HZC dimmer’, and exposed a single light entity, which in my case was called light.hzc_dimmer_switch_zb3_0_level_on_off.

supported_features is 41, which based on this thread I take to mean that it supports transition, flash, and brightness. Lightwave’s dimmer’s supported_features value is 1, so it supports only brightness.

Sure enough, if I call service in developer tools and send a turn_on command with a transition time of 20s, the light fades to the target brightness over 20 seconds.

I have 4 5W LEDs hooked up to this circuit, and there is no noticeable flicker even at the minimum brightness.

Being a physical knob, you can walk up to the switch and twist it at any speed you like and the brightness of the lights tracks your action - as does the brightness level indicated in Home Assistant.

Conclusion

This thing is great. It’s half the price of the comparable Lightwave dimmer, and in comparison, it:

• is easier to wire, since it doesn’t require a neutral
  • is easier to add to Home Assistant, because it is a native Zigbee 3.0 device, and doesn’t require its own hub
  • does not require an internet connection to work
  • supports transition time and flash as part of remote control commands from HA
  • reflects its state in HA incredibly quickly
  • has a physical twisty knob which allows very precise fading extremely quickly
  • is easier for guests to use, because it behaves exactly like all the dumb dimmer switches they will be used to using in other houses.

There are some downsides. The main problems with it are:

• It doesn’t come in any finish other than basic white plastic, and doesn’t come in a 2-gang version (yet?)
  • The fading is not perceptibly linear. I guess it’s probably linear in reality but I perceive little difference between 50% and 100% and lots between 0% and 20%. Lightwave has the same issue.
  • There is a noticeable ‘step’ as it fades through low brightnesses. On a fast fade you don’t notice this but if you give it a transition time of 30s or something, you see it step-step-step-step through the fade.

For £32 a switch, I think this is great, and if they make multi-gang versions, I’d probably replace all my wall switches with these.

11 Likes

On Polish Amazon I found double gang dimmer: https://www.amazon.pl/iolloi-przelącznik-ściemniacza-przymocowania-neutralności/dp/B08BJSTGY9/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_pl_PL=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=iolloi&qid=1620543082&sr=8-4

EDIT: Sorry… same company, same aestetics… but no zigbee :frowning:

Thanks for the review, I’m in need of some dimmers in a new extension we are building, so just ordered one to try out.
5% voucher on Amazon at the moment too so even better :grin:

Arrived today and fitted without issue.
I can confirm it plays nicely with Zigbee2MQTT and exposes brightness and on/off controls.

I actually quite like the ‘stealth’ look of these, as it just looks like a traditional dimmer but has the added smart benefits - Good find!

I’m buying one of these ID-EU20FW09 (manual) similar to the OP’s I think, but for the EU market, and quite a bit more expensive. Will report back.

The difference just seems to be the form factor of the knob, and the switch inside? Both support one-way or multiway master & slave wiring. And doesn’t require neutral.

What is the benefit of a switch that does require neutral, such as the much more expensive Ubisys D1? iolloi says “Neutral conductor not necessary as there is a two-wire connection”

I guess one difference is that the Ubisys devices act as a zigbee router, which I do not think the iolloi do.

Just got one of these too. First impressions are very good. Will watch out for more variants added to the range (hopefully!).

I submitted an email enquiry and they said that they plan to sell a 2-gang on Amazon in June. No plans for a chrome version but they suggested I just swap out the cover (but then I guess you also have a buy a ‘dumb’ dimmer in the right finish as well).

You could, maybe, buy a blanking plate of the style you like and drill a hole in it?

1 Like

Great to hear it worked with Zigbee2MQTT. I don’t see anything from Iolloi on the supported devices list though. Did it detect as something else?

Yeah it’s gets picked up as an ecodim 07 - EcoDim Eco-Dim.07 control via MQTT | zigbee2mqtt.io

1 Like

You might be able to pull off the knob (no pun intended :wink: ), unscrew the retaining bolt and remove the dimmer module from the panel. Typically the dimmer modules are interchangable in the UK. Its certainly what I intend to do with the one I just ordered…

Seen on amazon reviews this connects with zha but not doing for me. Anyone have this on zha?

After a reset and then pairing zha works. Must be reset first

Anyone know where you can buy these in the UK ? The link to Amazon now seems to show a non-zigbee variant of the device. Thanks

Looks like this is the same model but branded differently.

2 Likes

Bit late to the party here, but this has helped me pair my Condeo dimmer, which appears to use the same hardware.

OP said if they did multi-gang switches they would replace their whole house, but they dont need to.
Dimmer switches are drop-in replacements. I bought the Candeo C202N (Which doesn’t come with a faceplate) and dropped it into my flat’s three-gang, silver faceplate.

You can add these dimmers without changing the faceplates but pulling the dial off, unscrewing the nut
and putting your old dial on the smart dimmer. Its exactly what I wanted as the behind-the-faceplate options dont support manual dimmer switches, Now I can smartly control my front room spotlights manually or via the app and you cant even tell its there

Hah, you know that’s exactly what I also ended up doing, I just didn’t post an update ! I got some lovely faceplates from https://theworkshopbelow.com/ and they were able to supply them without any actual dimmers in them. Pop the Candeo / Iolloi dimmer in there, fit the metal knob over the smart dimmer’s plastic one, and job done.

2 Likes

Samotech still sells these dimmers and compatible faceplates for them, just can’t seem to be possible finding 4 gang plates anywhere :confused:

Thanks for the review. I was just about to buy it when I saw this. I have not made up my mind vs the candeo because I am currently using ZHA. Can anyone confirm if this works with ZHA?