iOS v 2.0.0 (40)

read the migration document. It explains and answers a lot of what you’re describing/questioning. I too ran into similar issues and had everything back up and running in maybe an hour or two. You can always remove the entities and integration, reconnect the app then in the entity registry rename the entities to identify what sensor belongs to what device. example: sensor.activity renamed to sensor.<device_id>_activity where <device_id> is the device ID set on the phone. that’s what I did and got everything working again. Also with any updates, I have come to expect breaking changes and read the documentation of the update prior to updating so I somewhat know what to expect.

Several restarts of the iOS app and HA helped and now the new notifications are there. Still some work to do, but now I understand the things a bit better. Thanks for the replies.

I would have loved to read about his before but it was nowhere mentioned in the App store when I updated.

I understand it can be a pain in the ass, though with a decent text editor (say vscode or sublime) this change in notifications can be remedied within 5 minutes. Trust me when I say that the 2.0 app is miles but I really mean miles better than 1.5.1. Device tracking should also be done through the person component IMO as that is the standard since I believe 0.87. The trackers will be added automatically and you should not have to edit known_devices.yaml (as this is deprecated and only used for some legacy trackers). You can then just click and add the trackers to the correct person entities within the UI.

I also want to advice you to use the person entities in your automations instead of device trackers. As using persons will make changing stuff like this so much easier. Imagine another device_tracker change (for whatever reason) in that case you would only need to re-add the trackers to your person entities instead of changing the device tracker entities on every single page.

I hope this information helps.

I’m a little confused. Everything is up and running perfectly, but I want to make sure I have done things correctly for future updates as I’m sure things will be changing and updating as we move forward. Currently, I’m still using notify.ios_DEVICENAME so that I can have actionable notifications. Today that is working, should I be switching that as it will break going forward? Or is the notify.ios sticking around for actionable notifications?

I ask, because the migration guide says the ios integration needs to be enabled for things like actionable notifications and categories.

As far as I know the ios integration will leave at some point. Though for now you can still use it for your actionable notifications (even with the mobile app component). I believe the correct new way of setting those notifications is through the app itself. I am running 2.0 since januari (or something like that when the first beta came out) and I have never touched the ios notifications. They still work for me though the logs will start with “the ios component was loaded but no devices were found”. You can just ignore that.

Though I am confident that the ios integration that is currently still available will go at some point.

Thanks, Jim. Are there directions on the new “proper” way to setup actionable notifications?

You should be using notify.mobile_app for notifications. That is the new and future-proofed way of doing things and it has more supported features (like critical notifications).

Actionable notifications are basically unchanged from the old app. You still need to have ios: in your configuration to be able to use those, but you do not need to use notify.ios anymore. Here’s the documentation for actionable notifications.

1 Like

That worked perfectly, SeanM. Much appreciated.

1 Like

funny thing is without even changing anything in the config, the update hasn’t disabled my actionable iOS notifications… iOS still works with the ‘old’ iOS device setting.

will change anyway, as it seems to be the way forward.

please let me ask this: in the 1.5 app we had a manual location update button. Cant seem to find that any longer in the new app. Has is gone, or would it be located in another place? I used it to force a location update every once in a while and needed it to see if all is configured correctly.
thanks

1 Like

Hi Jim,

I ´m using Persons already but I also send a lot of Notifications from Automations and there I had to use the notify.ios… . I did all the changes with Search and Replace in the Configurator coming with Hass.io, so that was not a big deal. As told If that would have been mentioned in the Release Notes no problem. I was just surprized and after a long day of work yesterday probably a bit annoyed.

Pull down on the screen and it does that

ok cool! easy. much easier…

1 other thing I observe is the top menu bar isn’t always following the theme setting. Other people see that too?

Depends on how you set your themes I think. If you use the profile to set the theme then I think that does not change the top bar. If you use a service to set the theme it does…

service: frontend.set_theme

And in the profile you use backend-selected for the theme.
If you have anything other than backend-selected there, changing the theme with the service can have unpredictable results…

always use a service, never use the theme selector in the configuration profile setting.

will have to investigate further, on 2.0 for a few hours only now;-) (might even be a HA, or CCH thing, since I see it now in the desktop too). A refresh usually helps.

I know it was prob discussed already, but with the new version all my iOS devices got renamed :frowning: meaning all my automations stopped working.

I can easly fix them, ish, but the question is, everytime I update the app, will this happens? Or its a once time thing?

Thanks

A guide has been published to do the transition from 1.5 to 2.0 and indeed, a lot of changes have been done regarding sensors.

The creation of new sensors is a one-time thing, unless you uninstall / reset the app and go through onboarding again.

Onboarding will not happen on subsequent updates.

1 Like

saw this happen yesterday night Ha api manager not available:

and another HA api error in red, before it turned to an empty screen and never got back. HA was still alive and happening, cause my browser windows on desktop and even the app on iPad were still working.

My iphone 11 pro / new app combination didnt work… Had to reinstall the app (tried a ha restart first) to get it going again.

I couldn’t find a way to have the App reconnect to the server when in this mode. No cogwheel or other setting window available?
Adding to that: when one has a connection to a HA instance, isnt it possible to switch to another HA instance? I have 3 Pi’s running and would love (need to) to switch every once in a while. Isn’t this possible with the new app??

Also, pulling down the app to refresh doesnt work either…it does on my other mobiel devices, could this be another app /iphone 11 anomaly??
thanks

I would suspect there is something between your phone and your ha instance like maybe nginx? If yes, check that the /api endpoint is in nginx passthrough and also that you have websockets support turned on.

Multi instance support has been talked about but not been implemented yet. Because the app is more than a browser view just switching around urls won’t work.

the 1.5 app could do this right? under the connection menu, we could see which instances are online, and click and authorize that. Really really miss that right now…

And the app does offer the choice when setting up, so it does see the instances perfectly.

I use duckdns for the non internal address yes.

were do we set that, other than

#https://www.home-assistant.io/components/websocket_api/
websocket_api:

btw, i have this commented now, and the app did work fine, the beta has been for ages, and now the release worked from the start. Only halted after 1.5 day of fine operation…