Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

New post for a different issue.

I’ve set up Wallpanel and the HA app, I understand that they’re essentially displaying the same thing. Either way, the screen dimming is unreliable. Sometimes it dims after the timeout I’ve defined in the settings and other times it doesn’t dim at all. I searched this conversation but I don’t see others with the same issue. Any clues how to make the screen dim reliably?

Unfortunately, no. The userdata partition is encrypted.
You could script it through adb, probably not worth the trouble for 4 units.

Known issue with the 8.1 rom. Hoping both this and the audio issue are resolved in @deadman96385’s upcoming GSI.

Only static stuff in there. A goldmine for somebody with the CSS chops to make the pixels dance :slight_smile:

Anybody have a hookup at nabu casa? Who could smuggle that sweet animation out of the mother ship?

Please help us @madelena!

The https://github.com/home-assistant/assets/blob/557331a847ba4d9b91d29a12b2951ea078c896d7/misc/loading_animation/After%20Effects%20-%20Lottie/demo.html file in that repository makes a nice looping animation. Does it have to be captured as a video to work as a boot animation?

Logo is here https://github.com/home-assistant/assets/tree/master/logo as svg and png files.

What format does the boot graphic have to be in? And dimensions? Bit-depth?

It does, that’s why I used it in this rom :wink:

Looking for an animated version of the new logo as seen in the previously posted YouTube video.

Pixels, preferably moving :crazy_face:

I posted some details about the boot splash image format in the top of the rom dev thread.
(binwalk splash.bin from the rom 7z if you want to see the bits.)

Note that the boot splash is not the boot animation, which is what I’m asking for contributions.

(For example, in kingston-ha-rom, the boot splash is just the first frame of the boot animation.)

Regarding the recovery/bootloader, do you have any examples of what those screens look like? I believe they’re usually a bit more barebones, so not sure how much can be on the backgrounds. (Edit: thinking about it, maybe the same background would work, but with the circuit tree made a lot smaller?)

For the default wallpapers, I quickly wipped up these in Illustrator:

I could take a shot at the animation from the given After Effects repo, but my experience with that programme is a lot less, so I’m not sure if I’d be able to do it justice, especially not if Madelena comes to the rescue.

The only real constraint is the screen resolution, kinda.

Bootanimation.zip is just a series of PNGs
Splash.bin is run length encoded pixels and a special Qualcomm header.

To assemble the animation sequence for kingston-ha-rom, I did the following:

• screen capped the css animation by @andyfitz
  • created a output format in openshot at the correct res
  • imported the screen cap, matched the background color
  • set the starting and ending frames to my liking
  • export as a webm
  • use ffmpeg to extract png frames for bootanimation.zip
  • convert first frame to RLE and inject into splash.bin

So, literally any animation could be scaled and composited to work, so long as it’s of a sufficient resolution and duration.

Some notes on the process, rle conversion tool and the source images are available here.

2 Likes

@FelixKa has got mainline linux booting on the thinksmart!!!

Seriously impressive feat!!!

Show your support and check out his progress here.

Update less than 24 hours later and he’s got gnome shell running on it :exploding_head:

INCREDIBLE work!! :clap::muscle:

Not many devices see this kind of community support. We’re pretty lucky!

4 Likes

I installed it, except for the screen going off and not waking up looks fine. Also, Chrome doesn’t sound to load! I installed few apps, automagic to manage the proximity sensor to wake up the device but it doesn’t seem to work although the testing goes well. Here’s the logcat output.
Logcat

1 Like

Hi all
I am beginner and need help. Today recived my Lenovo and try with this manual…
I have windows 11 and i install python3 from Microsoft stor and also install git: Git-2.43.0-64-bit
Then run as administrator CMD
then type in CMD commands:

git clone https://github.com/bkerler/edl
cd edl
git submodule update --init --recursive
pip3 install -r requirements.txt

then install:
UsbDk_1.0.22_x64

Now i down know what next and how rund this EDL
I still get inn command line:
C:\edl\edl>edl qfil c:\edl\edl\bin\rawprogram.xml c:\edl\edl\bin\patch0.xml flash/ --loader=c:\edl\edl\bin\prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
‘edl’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Anyubody can help me please…

I’m on win10, but for me worked to run it with python, so python.exe edl qfil …(the rest of command)

but can you show me rest command ?

ok i try i get next error:

C:\edl\edl>python.exe edl qfil c:\edl\edl\bin\rawprogram.xml c:\edl\edl\bin\patch0.xml flash/ --loader=c:\edl\edl\bin\prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
Capstone library is missing (optional).
Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.62 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2023.
main
main - [LIB]: ←[33mPlease first install libusb_win32 driver from Zadig←[0m
main - Using loader c:\edl\edl\bin\prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn ...
main - Waiting for the device
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\edl\edl\edl", line 386, in <module>
    base.run()
  File "C:\edl\edl\edl", line 289, in run
    conninfo = self.doconnect(loop)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\edl\edl\edl", line 199, in doconnect
    self.cdc.connected = self.cdc.connect(portname=self.portname)
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\edl\edl\edlclient\Library\Connection\usblib.py", line 240, in connect
    self.configuration = self.device.get_active_configuration()
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 921, in get_active_configuration
    return self._ctx.get_active_configuration(self)
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 113, in wrapper
    return f(self, *args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 249, in get_active_configuration
    self.managed_open()
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 113, in wrapper
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 131, in managed_open
    self.handle = self.backend.open_device(self.dev)
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\backend\libusb1.py", line 804, in open_device
    return _DeviceHandle(dev)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\backend\libusb1.py", line 652, in __init__
    _check(_lib.libusb_open(self.devid, byref(self.handle)))
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\backend\libusb1.py", line 600, in _check
    raise NotImplementedError(_strerror(ret))
NotImplementedError: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform

C:\edl\edl>

check my other reply here, you need to change device driver as it’s not recognized properly by edl, after I changed it with zadig it worked

now:

C:\edl\edl>python.exe edl qfil c:\edl\edl\bin\rawprogram.xml c:\edl\edl\bin\patch0.xml flash/ --loader=c:\edl\edl\bin\prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
Capstone library is missing (optional).
Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.62 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2023.
main - Using loader c:\edl\edl\bin\prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn ...
main - Waiting for the device
main - Hint:   Press and hold vol up+dwn, connect usb. For some, only use vol up.
main - Xiaomi: Press and hold vol dwn + pwr, in fastboot mode connect usb.
        Run "./fastpwn oem edl".
main - Other:  Run "adb reboot edl".

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\edl\edl\edl", line 386, in <module>
    base.run()
  File "C:\edl\edl\edl", line 289, in run
    conninfo = self.doconnect(loop)
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\edl\edl\edl", line 199, in doconnect
    self.cdc.connected = self.cdc.connect(portname=self.portname)
  File "C:\edl\edl\edlclient\Library\Connection\usblib.py", line 240, in connect
    self.configuration = self.device.get_active_configuration()
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 921, in get_active_configuration
    return self._ctx.get_active_configuration(self)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 249, in get_active_configuration
    self.managed_open()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\core.py", line 131, in managed_open
    self.handle = self.backend.open_device(self.dev)
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\backend\libusb1.py", line 804, in open_device
    return _DeviceHandle(dev)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\backend\libusb1.py", line 652, in __init__
    _check(_lib.libusb_open(self.devid, byref(self.handle)))
  File "C:\Users\Piotrek\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.12_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python312\site-packages\usb\backend\libusb1.py", line 600, in _check
    raise NotImplementedError(_strerror(ret))
NotImplementedError: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform

C:\edl\edl>

Hi,
These are the steps to flash the combined_kingston_a11_gogapps rom…
Preparations:

1. Download and install the Qualcomm drivers from here
    QDLoader HS-USB Driver_64bit_Setup
    Choose the first option (“WWAN” option)

2. Download and install QPST from here
    QPST_2.7.474.zip | by deadman96385 for Utilities

3. Download an extract the firmware from here
    https://s3.us-east-1.wasabisys.com/filestash-buk/lenovo-thinksmart-view/combined_kingston_a11_gogapps.7z

Restart Windows (While pressing the SHIFT button, go into advance startup options and choose Disable Driver Signature Enforcement. Check link here: How to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 11.

Flashing:
Once your Windows is rebooted with Disabled Driver Signature Enforcement,

1. Open Qfil (Start menu search) and complete the following (all these files are in the folder of the extracted firmware)
  • In the “Select Build Type” field select Flat Build
  • In the “Select Programmer” field navigate to the folder you extracted the firmware and support files to and select the prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn file​
  • Select the “Load XML” button and select the rawprogram0.xml and then the patch0.xml when prompted.​

Keep Qfil open while you continue with the steps below:
2) Remove the rubber cap of the USB port as per the drawing
3) Connect your USB type C into your device and into the computer USB port (while the device is off)
4) Plug the device power cable into your electric socket (don’t turn it on) and into your device power port
5) On your device, hold the volume up (+) and volume down (-) together, keep pressing them till you complete the next step. (picture below: green up, red down)

1. Turn on the power of the device, keep looking at Qfil till you see that it got the PORT recognized, release the buttons and click Download on Qfil app.

The app should start flashing the firmware, wait till you see the progress bar is full and the log (lower part of Qfil) shows completed or finished.

Post Flashing:

1. once flashing is completed, close the Qfil app
  2. disconnect the USB cable
  3. Turn off the power socket which your device power adapter is connected to. (DON’T unplug the power cable from the device)
  4. Press the volume up (+) button and keep pressing
  5. Turn on the power socket which your device adapter is connected to.
  6. release after few seconds, you will see the recovery. Be Careful, use the volume up button to move between the options till you reach the Device Wipe/Factory reset.
  7. Use the volume down (-) button to click (press)
  8. Confirmation message, use volume up (+) to accept and then volume down (-) to click (confirm).
    The device will be rebooted, wait for few minutes to load the new firmware.
2 Likes

ok flashed as you describe but now i can not connect to my WIFI. Type password anmd nothing. Before flash when on originall FW LEnovo i can connect to wifi with no problem…

Do you see your wifi networks in the list of available WIFIs?

Turn on your mobile phone WIFI hotspot and connect to it, it could be an issue with your router AP. I don’t have WIFI problem. Unless you flashed a different firmware, earlier firmware roms were having WIFI issue.

Yes i see, probably is problem that i have character like @ in pass, because when i share hot sport from my smartphone with simple pass it connect with no problem…but FW was compatiblem with my pass wifi. Now is no compatible…

Now screen was off and no reaction by touch… in my opinion this android has a problem…