KNX Cookbook

- makes a new item in a list. Seems like you are overwriting the cover: items couple of times.
Have a closer look at KNX - Home Assistant
You did it right in light:

Also consider configuring travelling_time_down and _up for covers :wink:

This is the case when you delete (or invalidate) configuration of an entity. It leaves an orphaned entity in the entity_registry. You should be able to delete it from UI after a restart - or it works again after you fixed your configuration.

1 Like

Ah thanks. Perhaps it was too late already
 :slight_smile:

I will have a Look at travelling_time_down - guess I will have to measure it.

Now where is THAT screenshot from? Never saw this combination of checkboxes.

Hassio “event: state” node.

That node looks very different in my system - see my screenshot. Did you skip the updates of your Node RED add-on for a very long time?

No, its 9.0.1 :slight_smile:
Btw. I don’t see a screenshot

Hi

I’ve been successful in pulling 95% of my KNX lights/Vents/Covers into HA. HVAC is an uglier problem.

For my first pass I used a program off Github to extract addresses from my KNXProj file.
It worked with a few problems and I have all my lights etc working in HA.
So I asked someone with access to ETS to run an “official export” . I still have the same problems and don’t know how to fix these problems and there is an inconsistency between the outputs from the GitHub and ETS that I cannot reconcile.

Issues are:

1. HVAC - HVAC is Mitsubishi City that is connected to to AMX/KNX set up. I will need to replace the existing MN converter that uses RS-232 with Coolmasternet to connect with units and let HA control. The other side of the equation is to continue to use the KNX wall panels in each room to turn HVAC on/off and see temperature and set point. The AMS controller connect to these KNX wall panels uses KNX address - but there is only one KNX address (see below) listed in the ETS output. How do I control Setpoint and temperature that are also visible on wall switch?
  2. Dimmers - there is only 1 KNX address. From the KNX wall switch I can do a long push to dim the lights, from HA I can only turn on and off.
  3. Covers - Similar problem - there is only 1 KNX address. from my old AMX or wall controllers I can stop and have short address. In HA I connect up to one address and have only up/down “move long address”
  4. Lights all work fine. They also have just one address and no state address. Nevertheless Lovelace shows state and allows me to turn on/off.
    Problem #2

Reconcile output format:

Example 1:
Output from Github tool (and this address works in HA):
1/0/1 Basement Guest Spots

Output from ETS
1 New Main Group
1/1 Basement Guest spots. Length 1 bit

Why is the “0” left out of the ETS Export?

Example 2 (Bigger Issue)

Output from Github tool
10/1/17 Office HVAC (This turns the red indicator light on and off on the KNX wall panel. So the address works)

Output from ETS

10 New Main Group
10/273 Office HVAC Length 1 bit

Why the difference? What am I missing?

ETS seems to be configured to use 2-level GA format. The script you used uses 3-level.

Both should work from with the knx Integration.

1. there has to be more GAs for temperatures etc. one GA can only have one data type. Binary (on/off) can’t Transport temperature/brightness/etc information.
  2. see 1; HA needs brightness in % to work here. DPT3 dimming is possible from a blueprint you can find here in the forum.
  3. not sure what you mean
  4. not having a state address is fine for most cases. If a read-flag is set on one CO in the GA you can just use the same address for “address” and “state_address”. If you can’t check from ETS, just try it, restart HA and see if there are errors in the logs. Or try to read the GA value from ETS Groupmonitor - Demo license is sufficient for this.
1 Like

Hello,

Thanks to this cookbook, I was able to integrate my KNX devices into Home Assistant flawlessly.

My KNX integration was working fine. When I update Home Assistant to the 2021.4 release, it no longer works. I have therefore undone the update for now and imported the previous snapshot.

In the release notes for 2021.4 and 2021.5 I find the following notes:

2021.4:
The config_file YAML option for KNX is deprecated, please remove it from your YAML configuration if you have it configured.

*2021.5*
The config_file YAML option for KNX was deprecated before and has now been removed.

and a reference to this: #48799

However, I do not understand the meaning of this and do not know what to do. Can someone explain this to me in other words or tell me what to do?

If you use a “xknx.yaml” (file name may be different in your installation) which is loaded from HAs configuration.yaml by

knx:
  config_file: xknx.yaml 

This no longer works and you have to use HA KNX config schema now.

There is a converter for this at XKNX config

OK, thanks for the explanation. I think I already use the HA KNX config schema. So my error must be somewhere else. I will then install the update 2021.05 and look for the error somewhere else.

This is what an excerpt from my knx.yaml looks like:

light:
    - name: 'Keller'
      address: '6/0/0'
      state_address: '6/0/1'
    - name: 'Esszimmer & Kaminzimmer'
      address: '8/1/150'
      state_address: '8/1/155'
      brightness_address: '8/1/153'
      brightness_state_address: '8/1/152'
    - name: 'Bad-EG'
      address: '6/1/0'
      state_address: '6/1/1'
      brightness_address: '6/1/4'
      brightness_state_address: '6/1/2'
    - name: 'Hausflur'
      address: '6/1/10'
      state_address: '6/1/11'
      brightness_address: '6/1/14'
      brightness_state_address: '6/1/12'
    - name: 'Esszimmertisch'
      address: '6/1/30'
      state_address: '6/1/34'
      brightness_address: '6/1/35'
      brightness_state_address: '6/1/31'
    - name: 'Kaminzimmer Wand'
      address: '6/1/50'
      state_address: '6/1/53'
      brightness_address: '6/1/55'
      brightness_state_address: '6/1/52'
    - name: 'Esszimmer Wand'
      address: '6/1/40'
      state_address: '6/1/43'
      brightness_address: '6/1/44'
      brightness_state_address: '6/1/41'
    - name: 'KĂŒchenblock'
      address: '6/1/60'
      state_address: '6/1/61'
    - name: 'HWR'
      address: '6/1/80'
      state_address: '6/1/81'
    - name: 'Wohnzimmer Decke'
      address: '6/1/90'
      state_address: '6/1/91'
    - name: 'Treppe'
      address: '6/1/100'
      state_address: '6/1/101'
    - name: 'Kellerabgang'
      address: '6/1/110'
      state_address: '6/1/111'
    - name: 'Wohnzimmer Blumenkasten'
      address: '6/1/130'
      state_address: '6/1/131'
    - name: 'KĂŒche'
      address: '6/1/140'
      state_address: '6/1/145'
      brightness_address: '6/1/143'
      brightness_state_address: '6/1/142'
    - name: 'Flur-OG'
      address: '6/2/10'
      state_address: '6/2/11'
      brightness_address: '6/2/13'
      brightness_state_address: '6/2/14'
    - name: 'Bad-OG'
      address: '6/2/20'
      state_address: '6/2/23'
      brightness_address: '6/2/24'
      brightness_state_address: '6/2/22'

Well just update and see what the log tells you. From which version are you upgrading?

From 2021.3.4 to 2021.04 it makes trouble.

Today I updatet from 2021.3.4 to 2021.05.04 and everything works fine. Strange but no matter and thank you for your help.

Hey :wave:!
I’ve added a chapter to the HA Knx docs about this.
HA KNX Troubleshooting
Feel free to add things I haven’t thought about!

2 Likes

Thanks very much.

Seems that some of the addresses for the HVAC were not included in the ETS Report. However I have found other addresses in the AMX code and other addresses from the KNX Log.

From AMX Code

10/1/17 - Set Temp
9/2/17 - Set Heat/cool
9/1/17 - on/off

From KNX Log on HA. From pushing button on the KNX wall panel the log listed these addresses.

10/4/4 Turn on LED HVAC unit on/off
10/4/7 - Turn off LED HVAC unit on/off
10/4/18 -Raise Temperature
10/0/17 - Lower Temperature
10/4/13 - Also appeared in Log
10/4/16 Also Appeared in log

It’s starting to work.

temperature_address: "10/1/17"
      setpoint_shift_address: "10/1/17"
      target_temperature_address: "10/1/17"
      target_temperature_state_address: "10/1/17"
      setpoint_shift_mode: "DPT9002"
      operation_mode_address: "9/2/17"
      #operation_mode_state_address: "9/2/17"
      on_off_address: "9/1/17"
      on_off_state_address: "9/1/17"
      # min_temp: 16.0
      # max_temp: 25.0

I can switch the HVAC on/off on the the KNX wall panel and move the temperature dial from Lovelace. However the Lovelace temp dial does not change the KNX wall panel and the only option is heat

Screenshot 2021-05-18 01.45.06

Setting temperature, target temperature and setpoint shift to the same address will definitely fail.

The only modes you configured are “heat” and “off”. operation_mode_address provides presets in HA.

Also setpoint_shift_address needs setpoint_shift_state_address to be set and the value has to be read from the bus to initialize.

See HA knx climate documentation for basic configuration help and Link to Logs – My Home Assistant for logs. There are usually error messages telling you why something was not working.

Hey :wave:!
In the next release some HA core changes to Lights are accounted for. But I don’t have any colored lights so I can’t test it on actual hardware.

Can please anyone with actual KNX RGB or RGBW lights test this: Fix KNX rgb(w) color (again) by farmio · Pull Request #51060 · home-assistant/core · GitHub
I’d be very interested in configuration and resulting behavior in brightness and color changing from HA and from bus.

Update: there is a version of this in the current beta. But I think it is somewhat broken yet.

1 Like

Hi All,

does anybody know how to create the template sensor for a KNX weatherstation now that create_sensors is deprecated? I have no clue how to do that

Thanks for any hint :slight_smile:

template:
  - sensor:
    - name: <Name for the Sensor>
      unit_of_measurement: "°C"
      state: "{{ state_attr('<climate.<entity_id>', 'current_temperature') }}"
      unique_id: <any unique_id>

Should be the same for climate and weather. I have not tested it for keeping the recorded history, but with the same entity_id this should work fine.

See Link to Developer Tools: States – My Home Assistant for the ids and the attribute names.

1 Like