LD2410 esphome tips

Thanks for this info, and when power up its a litlle more of 200mA for about 2s.

But battery powered or not, its a really great and cheap sensor! when you can found Aqara presence detection at about 25$, this board is really cheap , about 4$ each!

If you’re genuinely getting 9m on the radar distance (3 more meters than their 6m stated on the datasheet) then their quality control is poor and I have two defective units! I get around 4m and even then it’s a little flakey and requires a moderately high latency set.

i give you the distance between my bluethooth proxy and the sensor, not the detection distance.

The detection distance is 4 meters without issues.

1 Like

Hello,

just an info, not a good one : each time there is an update of EspHome, the LD2410BLE is not working anymore, need to delete the integration and do it again.

Thats not a very nice feature…

@burg93 I have exactly the same problem. All soldered properly ( even checked with multimeter ). Configuration the standard official one and all entities show unavailable. Have you managed to get your one to work?

esphome:
  name: d1-mini-presence01
  friendly_name: d1-mini-presence01

esp8266:
  board: d1_mini
external_components:
  - source: github://esphome/esphome@dev
    components: [ ld2410 ]  
# Enable logging
logger:
  level: WARN
  baud_rate: 0
web_server:
  port: 80
# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  encryption:
    key: "xxxx"
ota:
  password: "xxxx"

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "D1-Mini-Presence01"
    password: "xxx"

captive_portal:

uart:
  id: uart1
  tx_pin: TX
  rx_pin: RX
  baud_rate: 256000
  parity: NONE
  stop_bits: 1

ld2410:
  timeout: 150s
  max_move_distance : 6m
  max_still_distance: 0.75m
  g0_move_threshold: 10
  g0_still_threshold: 20
  g1_move_threshold: 10
  g1_still_threshold: 20
  g2_move_threshold: 20
  g2_still_threshold: 21
  g3_move_threshold: 30
  g3_still_threshold: 31
  g4_move_threshold: 40
  g4_still_threshold: 41
  g5_move_threshold: 50
  g5_still_threshold: 51
  g6_move_threshold: 60
  g6_still_threshold: 61
  g7_move_threshold: 70
  g7_still_threshold: 71
  g8_move_threshold: 80
  g8_still_threshold: 81

sensor:
  - platform: ld2410
    moving_distance:
      name : Moving Distance
    still_distance:
      name: Still Distance
    moving_energy:
      name: Move Energy
    still_energy:
      name: Still Energy
    detection_distance:
      name: Detection Distance
binary_sensor:
  - platform: ld2410
    has_target:
      name: Presence
    has_moving_target:
      name: Moving Target
    has_still_target:
      name: Still Target
1 Like

Sort of… My issue was in fact the cables which I confirmed by butchering even more jumper wires and trying to hack them onto temporary connectors for the small LD pins (I removed the female jacks from the jumper cables, compressed the ends with pliers and pushed them over the LD pins with a little heat shrink to avoid contact between pins). I got brief periods of the entities being something other than “unknown” then which confirmed the old micro JST connector I had must have been bad. That approach was very much temporary though so I’m currently waiting on some micro JST connectors in the post to get it setup properly.

Edit: Back to absolutely no idea. New cables didn’t solve anything despite many attempts. I think I’m just going to give these a miss for now until the quality control improves a little.

1 Like

Hello there,
I am going to setup another LD2410 sensor using the official esphome setup this time. Is the output on sensor pin connected to any pin on the esp8266? Dumb me. I bought the 4pin wires instead of the 5pins.

No if you don’t plan to use it for relay etc…
If you’re gonna setup sensor with esphome i guess you’ll switch light (or whatever) via Home Assistant, right? Output pin on the sensor is more or less meant to be used as standalone sensor, i guess.

Ok, sure, you can connect it on any esp pin and detect state, but you don’t have to, you can also detect state from HA via esphome sensors - and doing so you can distinguish between “motion” and “presence”, while outpuit pin is just a combination of both.

LD2410 + wled just concept

10 Likes

Hey there,
i got some LD2410C boards. I hooked them up to a Wemos D1 Mini ESP8266.
One is working, the other one is having problems. So my yaml seems correct.

The second one is found by the HiLink-App and the app displays all values correctly, the sensor works correctly. But the sensor is

1. Not found by HomeAssistant via a blutooth proxy
  2. ESPHome does not show any signals of the Board in the Logs. Each sensor says “unknown”.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Why is it working correctly and found via the app, but not via HA and no Logs in ESPHome?
Also tried another Board, no improvement. When I connect other sensors, e.g. a PIR, I get correct log entries.

I have ordered a couple of LD2410B (BLE) to use as presence detectors.

The question in mind;
Can they simultaneously act as Bluetooth proxies for HA?

No they are not bluetooth proxies.

I’m pretty disappointed in these as far as mmwave goes. I was hoping to use one in my kitchen so that the lights don’t go out when I’m doing dishes, but at 8 feet away (where the only usable outlet is), it’s barely any better than a PIR motion sensor.

At least they were dirt cheap.

What do you mean by that? My sensors connect via bt proxy esphome device, if that’s what you mean… but, i confirm that only one connection at a time can be active. If i have module connected to HA i can’t connect to it with app to configure it (and vice versa).

Jhoff80: that’s funny… my two sensors see me over 6m away, even around the corner. Maybe you should play with settings a bit.

IMO you have either faulty module (less probable) or not configured it for your room/need (more probable). From few forums it looks to me that once you set it up properly (with dedicated app [either mobile or computer]) it works very stable and as expected. Mine (installed in toilet 3 months ago) is sensing even very little breathing from the 2,5-3 meters distance. Very solid with no false detection. But I have changed default config a lot!

1 Like

Yeah, i think that common knowledge, found by many by now is that this sensor is only “partly usable” with default settings. You must tweak it according to your needs.

The question was " Can they (LD2410B) simultaneously act as Bluetooth proxies for HA?"

No. They aren’t bt proxies at all.

1 Like

I was playing around with the settings a little without much difference, but there wasn’t too much explanation so I also didn’t want to royally screw anything up. Sounds like I have to spend some trial and error time with it, thanks.

It would be good to know exactly what all those parameters do. Does anyone know a good reference which is not a datasheet full of gobbledygook, but more comprehensive than guesswork?

2 Likes

The Guy with the Swiss Accent is (as usual) helpful