Life360 Device Tracker Platform

This is a warning and not an error. I’ve had this one since I started using this component and read this as it’s not a formal add on of HA and thus could cause stability issues. Nothing I’m concerned about.

As @Piggyback says, the warning message is normal. However, you also say HA won’t start, but will start if you “disable life360 basic config.” That part I don’t understand. There should be nothing life360 can do to prevent HA from starting. Can you provide more details? What does home-assistant.log look like? What is your life360 configuration?

I agree, when it is just warning after few seconds, it continues to come up. Message above of warning is from the home-assistant.log file. If I keep this uncommented, it takes forever and UI never comes up. If I comment the configuration file for life360, it comes up in seconds. Maybe missing something subtle here.

Here is the configurations that I have:

configuration.yaml
under device tracker (^ signifies number of spaces)
^^-^platform: life360
^^^^username: redacted
^^^^password: redacted
^^^^prefix: life360

Folder Structure:
/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/life360 [files content copied from the github site as raw content changed the ownership to homeassistant and rwx permissions]
/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/custom_updater/ [same steps as above folder]

EDIT: it’s fixed. Ignore this.

I seem to have this set up correctly, but HA tells me that the “life360 platform is not setup correctly”. The log shows this repeated about every 12 seconds, and I suspect it’s the life360 component attempting to contact the life360 API:

2019-05-05 11:34:01 ERROR (EndpointThread-Subscribe-0) [pubnub] Exception in subscribe loop: HTTP Client Error (400): {“message”:“Invalid Subscribe Key”,“error”:true,“service”:“Access Manager”,“status”:400}`

I have verified that the username and password are correct, and I have also blown away the life360.conf file and restarted home assistant and ensured that the file was re-created. Has anyone else seen this error and knows how to resolve it? I wonder if this is a case of life360 invalidating the reverse-engineered key.

I don’t know what pubnub is, but it has nothing to do with life360.

That’s an error coming from the Wink component’s “pubnub” dependency, which it uses for push notifications. Fixes in progress.

See: Wink/PubNub not updating

Thank you :slight_smile:

Even if the UI never comes up, there should be something in home-assistant.log that gives a clue as to why. Please make sure logger is set to debug, and then when this happens, look in home-assistant.log. Is there an error or anything that explains where it’s getting stuck?

What other errors or other messages are there in home-assistant.log that might help explain “life360 platform is not setup correctly”? Do you have logger set to debug? If it’s recreating life360.conf, then it’s starting to run. If it fails there should be something in home-assistant.log to explain why.

Can you share your HA life360 configuration?

Hello @pnbruckner thank you for your reply. I take it all back - I had a mistake in my yaml file. It’s all working correctly now. Thank you for your hard work!

1 Like

FYI, all changes I wanted to make to the PR are done, and I’ve updated the proposed documentation. As soon as the automated testing is complete (and assuming it passes), I’ll remove the “WIP” label. Then hopefully it will get noticed before too long.

I wanted to mention one particular change. I updated the life360 package to allow setting retries, and in HA I set max_retries to 2. In the little bit of testing I’ve done over the last couple of days this seems to have eliminated one type of server communication error I’ve pretty much always seen. There still may be errors (e.g., if you’re Internet goes out temporarily), but hopefully this will eliminate most errors. :tada:

2 Likes

I reloaded with debug mode. it was failing on authentication. I reset it with same password as before and started working fine with no errors. looks like the authorization cache file got corrupt and only way was to reset the password which triggered to replace the cache file.

Sorry, but that doesn’t make sense to me. At least it doesn’t if you’re using a relatively new version. What version of life360 are you using? (Look for a line in __init__.py or device_tracker.py that starts __version__ =.)

i need still help to run ```
python3 list_life360.py LIFE360_USERNAME LIFE360_PASSWORD

Hi
agree it is bizarre and odd. If I stayed at older version of HA, everything works fine and updates well on location. But after upgrades, it took few tries and then reset password to make it work. version I am using is 2.10.

Try updating to life360 2.10.0 instead, and make sure debug is enabled. Then look in home-assistant.log. When life360 starts up it should log the full names of all the members it sees.

It get the error:

I have dowloaded the 2.10 raw files and only have this in config:

device_tracker:

• platform: life360
    username: !secret life360_user
    password: !secret life360_pw
    prefix: life360

What can i do?

I would guess you didn’t actually download the raw files, but rather downloaded the HTML file, at least for manifest.json. I would suggest downloading the files again, or at least open them in a text editor and see if they look right.

1 Like

You were right. But the status still dosent update in HA. Error message gone :slight_smile:
Im home in the app but HA reports not_home

Set logger to debug and look in home-assistant.log. There will be debug messages that show what life360 is doing. Also see the life360 docs, especially the section about home.