Lightwave (1st gen hub) after integrating devices appear on dashboard but none work

Hi everyone, I’m new to home assistant (about 1 month) but I’ve managed set it up with my kit pretty well so far. I left the integration of my lightwave devices to the end as I suspected that I’d have some problems. I was right.

I’ve carefully followed the instructions here (Lightwave - Home Assistant).

I believe that my configuration.yaml is fine (I’ve checked it at YAMLlint and from with the checker on home assistant )

I’ve restarted home assistant and all appears OK and the devices appear on the overview, with the lights showing in the correct room and the switches listed in a separate card called switches.

The instructions say that first use of a switch or light will generate a link request to the Lightwave hub, this didn’t happen.

I’ve searched the various fora for help and came across a suggestion that using this syntax ~ echo -ne "100,\!F*p." | -u -w1 192.168.1.31 9760 in the terminal would also generate a link request to the hub.

This worked and I approved the request by pushing the Yes button on the hub.

However, none of the devices will switch on/off from within home assistant.

When I look at the entity I get the following message:

This entity (“switch.boiling_tap”) does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI. See the documentation for more detail.

You can overwrite some attributes in the entity customizations section.

I’ve rummaged around on the fora for a couple of days trying to work out what I need to do next to solve this but I’ve hit a brick wall and would really appreciate a little guidance/advice from somebody here.

thank you in advance.

1 Like

Can you show us the appropriate bit of your configuration.yaml?

Thank you very much for looking at this.
Here’s my configuration.yaml (I’ve replaced some bits with XXXX where I’ve not yet added these to my secrets.yaml.

Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)

default_config:

Text to speech

tts:

• platform: google_translate

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

recorder:
db_url: mysql://homeassistant:XXXXXXXXXX@core-mariadb/homeassistant?charset=utf8mb4

System monitoring

sensor:

• platform: systemmonitor
    resources:
    • type: processor_use
    • type: disk_use_percent
      arg: “/”
    • type: disk_free
      arg: “/”
    • type: memory_use_percent
    • type: network_in
      arg: hassio
    • type: network_out
      arg: hassio
    • type: processor_temperature
    • type: last_boot

Discover some devices automatically

discovery:

lightwave:
host: “192.168.1.31”
lights:
R6D1:
name: “Dining Room Ceiling Light”
R6D2:
name: “Dining Room Wall Lights”
switches:
R1D1:
name: “Air Fryer”
R1D2:
name: “Boiling Tap”
R1D3:
name: “Milk Frother”
R2D1:
name: “Loft Wifi”
R3D1:
name: “Master Bedroom Wall Lights”
R3D2:
name: “Master Bedroom Television”
R3D3:
name: “Back Bedroom Lights”
R3D4:
name: “Guest Bedroom Lights”
R3D5:
name: “Front Bedroom Lamp”
R4D1:
name: “Sonos”
R5D1:
name: “Den Table Lamps”
R7D1:
name: “Upstairs Table Lamp”
R7D2:
name: “Wax Burner”
R7D3:
name: “GF L Table Lamp”
R7D4:
name: “GF R Table Lamp”
R7D5:
name: “Upstairs Spotlights”
R8D1:
name: “Plug 1”
R8D10:
name: “Plug 10”
R8D2:
name: “Plug 2”
R8D3:
name: “Plug 3”
R8D4:
name: “Plug 4”
R8D5:
name: “Plug 5”
R8D6:
name: “Plug 6”
R8D7:
name: “Plug 7”
R8D8:
name: “Plug 8”
R8D9:
name: “Plug 9”

Telegram Bot

telegram_bot:

• platform: polling
    api_key: !secret telegram_bot_api_key
    allowed_chat_ids:
    • XXXXXXXXXX

Could you paste your code as preformatted text (</> in the toolbar)? Spaces are important and it’s hard to see what’s going on without them.

For a start, though, I don’t think discovery works with Lightwave.

You are correct, it does not. It was a newbie error to put my lightwave configuration just below the discovery line, it wasn’t my expectation that lightwave would be discovered.
I have now commented out the discovery lines and restarted home assistant but it’s made no difference, the devices still don’t work.

This is where it’s important to see the spaces in the .yaml - your code should look something like the example in the docs:

lightwave:
  host: IP_ADDRESS
  lights:
    R1D3:
      name: Wall lights
    R1D4:
      name: Ceiling lights
  switches:
    R1D2:
      name: Tree socket
    R2D1:
      name: Radio socket
    R2D2:
      name: Light socket
    R2D3:
      name: Phone socket
    R2D4:
      name: Torch socket

If any of the spaces are wrong it won’t work.

Thanks, I know and I thought that they were correct because I’d run it through yamllint. I’m struggling to find out how to post the file as preformatted text as you asked earlier, apologies.

This message is normal for entities set up in configuration.yaml

Have you installed the add-on File Editor? Makes things much easier.

Yes, I have. I pasted the file from the file editor to a text doc before pasting it here so that I could comment out some things.
Let me try a paste directly from the file editor

that didn’t work, let me try and work out how to post the config.yaml in a reformatted way.

How are you trying to turn them on and off?

From within the dashboard (Overview) using the toggle switches

OK, worked out how to post reformatted text. Here’s the relevant section of my configuration.yaml

lightwave: 
  host: 192.168.1.31
  lights: 
    R6D1: 
      name: Dining Room Ceiling Light
    R6D2: 
      name: Dining Room Wall Lights
  switches: 
    R1D1: 
      name: Air Fryer
    R1D2: 
      name: Boiling Tap
    R1D3: 
      name: Milk Frother
    R2D1: 
      name: Loft Wifi
    R3D1: 
      name: Master Bedroom Wall Lights
    R3D2: 
      name: Master Bedroom Television
    R3D3: 
      name: Back Bedroom Lights
    R3D4: 
      name: Guest Bedroom Lights
    R3D5: 
      name: Front Bedroom Lamp
    R4D1: 
      name: Sonos
    R5D1: 
      name: Den Table Lamps
    R7D1: 
      name: Upstairs Table Lamp
    R7D2: 
      name: Wax Burner
    R7D3: 
      name: GF L Table Lamp
    R7D4: 
      name: GF R Table Lamp
    R7D5: 
      name: Upstairs Spotlights
    R8D1: 
      name: Plug 1
    R8D2: 
      name: Plug 2
    R8D3: 
      name: Plug 3
    R8D4: 
      name: Plug 4
    R8D5: 
      name: Plug 5
    R8D6: 
      name: Plug 6
    R8D7: 
      name: Plug 7
    R8D8: 
      name: Plug 8
    R8D9: 
      name: Plug 9
    R8D10: 
      name: Plug 10

I can’t see any problem…

Unfortunately, although I have Lightwave switches and sockets I no longer use the hub, so I can’t refer to my own setup. I’m inclined to think the issue is in connecting to the hub. It’s a couple of years since I did it, but I seem to remember that business of pressing the button within 12 seconds of issuing the first command was a bit tricky to get right, and took several restarts of the hub.

It’s entirely possible that’s the issue. I’m inclined to restore a snapshot prior to implementing the integration and restart from scratch tomorrow.
May I ask, if you no longer use the hub…how do you control your lightwave devices?

They’re turned on and off by RF codes from the hub, so you can substitute a universal remote - I use a Broadlink RM4 Pro but I believe there are others easier to integrate with HA. The problem is “teaching” the codes to the remote.

When Lightwave switches first came out there was a handheld remote and you can still find them on Ebay. I bought one and paired it with each of my switches - fortunately I only have about a dozen - then used it to teach the Broadlink the codes. The result is a bit more reliable than the hub (I think) and doesn’t require the Internet.

The Broadlink sounds like a good alternative, I too have a number of the handheld remotes and could potentially do the same if I get truly stuck with this integration.
In terms of the Broadlink, is yours a UK version? I read that they operate on different RF frequencies in different areas of the world and if you buy from Aliexpress it’s possible to choose which frequency. I think that Lightwave uses a frequency around 433 MHz. I also have a garage door opener operating at around 868 MHz. If possible, I’d like to use a hub that would do both.

OK, so I’m a bit further along. I restored home assistant from a snapshot, retyped the configuration.yaml carefully to ensure there were no mistakes, reset my LightwaveRF Hub, shutdown and restarted home assistant (and the Intel NUC on which it’s running). On first use of a Lightwaverf switch from the home assistant dashboard the lightwave hub asked to link the device which I did.

Then, when I switched on/off any lightwave device from the home assistant dashboard the lightwave hub displayed the correct device (I have the version 1 of the hub with an LCD) but the devices did not switch on/off. I did however get an error in the log (which I wasn’t getting before)

2021-07-13 10:55:51 ERROR (Thread-29) [lightwave.lightwave] Not yet registered

Not yet registered - OK, so I reset the Lightwaverf hub and used this command to link my home assistant to lightwave

echo -ne "100,\!F*p." | nc -u -w1 192.168.1.110 9760

Again that generated a request to link to the hub which I approved.

Now there are no errors in the log nor do the switches work.

Do you think that it’s something to do with the lightwave entities not having a unique ID?