LightwaveRF Lights Generation 1 Home Assistant - Custom Component - Setup

[Update 18-08-2019]
Supported component now in the component store.

So… Like a few people I went out a year ago and swapped all of my lights to LightwaveRF dimmer switches. This in hindsight was a little bit hasty but… finally I have now managed to pull them all into home assistant correctly.

A fellow member @chillerz spent some time creating his custom component for LightwaveRF and shared the project with me and a few others. This although a great starting point was not quite all there as he did point out and was a basic custom component.

The CC worked well but I had to manually edit the script to add LightwaverRF lights and then when enabling them through the Emulated Hue component and grouping them in Alexa I was unable to guarantee that a group would turn on or off. This is because when sending a command to the LightwaveRF Hub it “fires and forgets”, and as home assistant runs multiple threads, by this i mean it sends the commands all to the hub at the same time, the LightwaveRF Hub would “forget/choose” to send one command leaving a light on or not turning one off.

So a queuing system was needed, and the ablilty to add lights using the configuration.yaml also. I ended up going for RabbitMQ as this is an easy install and 100% queus the messages ready to be collected and fired at the LightwaveRF Hub to ensure that the command on/off/dim is sent!

Anyway… enough rambling bellow is the link to the github page with a step by step install guide. Please remember that this is a custom component and if you have any suggestions please let me know as I’m learning like all of us!

LightwaveRF Lights - Home Assistant

Here is a screen shot of my home with the config in place:

LightwaveRF Lights in Home Assistant Screen Shot

The Configuration.yaml:

light:
  - platform: lightwaverf_light
    rabbithost: localhost
    rabbitport: 5672
    rabbitque: LightwaveRF
    rabbituname: [yourusernameforrabbitmq]
    rabbitpass: [yourpasswordforthatuser]
    lights:
      - id: R1D1
        name: Lounge One
      - id: R1D2
        name: Lounge Two
      - id: R2D1
        name: Office Light 
      - id: R3D1
        name: Bathroom Spot Lights
      - id: R3D2
        name: Bathroom Extractor
      - id: R4D1
        name: Bedroom Main Light
      - id: R4D2
        name: Bedroom Mirror Lights
      - id: R5D1
        name: Hall Light
      - id: R6D1
        name: Porch Light
      - id: R7D1
        name: Landing Lights
      - id: R8D1
        name: Attic Light
      - id: R9D1
        name: Fridge Lights
      - id: R9D2
        name: Dining Lights
      - id: R10D1
        name: Kitchen Spot Lights

Hope this helps!
Richie

This looks super helpful!

I have been having the issue with the lights all firing at the same time, so I have been adding delays into my automations. This is a massive headache though, as I can’t just fire scenes etc!

I’ll have a play with this and see if I can get it going!

Thanks

Actually - just thought - I’m using hassio - can I install the RabbitMQ alongside this?

Another question - sorry. Does your package work with lights, switches and open/close devices?

I have a real mixture of these around my home!

Hi Martin,

Glad it excited you as much as me haha! Not at the moment mate it only supports lights but feel free to donate a switche and I will create one for that.

As far as Hass io and rabbit my, do you have ash access?

‘Ash’ access? You’ll have to forgive my lack of knowledge on that one?

I’m running Hassio on a Pi3 - I can access it through SSH, Samba, so not really sure if I have real root access??

If you think we can get this running on Hassio, I’ll happily send you a switch for testing!

Sorry buddy yes ‘access’ predictive text…

Well with that sort of access I don’t see why not… you may run into some issues though due to dependency’s not being available in the Hass io image.

Try it :slight_smile: if it works we can arrange to get the switches sorted too :slight_smile:

Fallen at the first hurdle. I have no idea how to install this to my Pi!

What’s the problem?
Also I would recommend installing hassbian instead of Hass.IO if you want to do custom things like this :slight_smile:

Here is my video:

Hi,

Can this be used with the Gen 2 products?

Hi Simmo,

didn’t test it with that mate. Feel free to check.
You should t need it though as the gen 2 reports statuses from the switch or light switch. Unfortunately gen one switches and lights switches are only receivers. This is why it was created.

Cheers,
Richie

Thanks,

I just wish to pull the devices into HA so I can setup automations etc.

Sorry for the long gap between replying.

I had a bit of a play with Hassabian, and used your vid to install it etc, but in all honesty, it’s just a bit too techy for me. I was kinda just going through the steps without massively understanding them. I fell at a hurdle trying to install rabbitMQ too via your instructions - one of the steps simply wouldn’t work for me. This one I think:
wget http://packages.erlang-solutions.com/site/esl/esl-erlang/FLAVOUR_1_general/esl-erlang_20.1.7-1~raspbian~stretch_armhf.deb

I can just about handle Hassio, and it is working pretty well, and fairly stable for me at the moment - just with the major annoyance of the Lightwave issue (not being able to send multiple messages).

So unless you fancy releasing a Hassio vsn, I guess I’m stuck at the moment :frowning:

I was struggling to get the base component to work when it dawned on me that you need to pair the lightwave hub and this wasn’t happening automatically. (I’m using gen 1). I found a command to run on the terminal (where you’ve installed HA) which initiates the pairing. I’ve updated the page on Github, but until that change goes through:

If you are using the old version Lightwave RF Gen 1 hub, you may need to run this command from the terminal of the device you’ve installed Home Assistant on: ‘echo -ne “100,!F*p.” | nc -u -w1 192.168.1.2 9760’ . Once run, the hub will flash, you have 12 seconds to push the button on the hub to accept the pairing request.

Next step - I’ve got some random lights that I can’t get working, despite them working in the LIghtwave App (although I found another master light). Is there any way to query the hub to pull a list of lights & switches?

Once you have sent the pairing command to the lightwaverf unit, you find out your room and device number use an app called “Hercules SETUP utility by HW-group.com”. Enter your LW hub ip, then listen, use your LW app to send commands to your devices and your room and device number should appear.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hey Richie. Nice post but I am unable to get mine working. Have updated HA to 2021.10.6 and have the Custom Components folder installed etc…

Hey @bod1973,

You no longer need my custom component.
There is a supported integration available for it now.

LightwaveRF

Hope that helps.

morning g2b
loading up the hercules software ,
could you tell me which tab i should be using ,i’m guessing UDP
and ports?
totally clueless though now understanding a little more each time
cheers

Hi bam27beer

Sorry, more information would have been helpful.

Download the hercules software here (its freeware) Hercules SETUP utility | HW-group.com

Go to the UDP tab at the top, and then enter the local ip for your lw gen 1 hub, and enter port 9760 and click listen.

Open your LW app on your phone, and turn a light on

In the example below, i turned on two lights in my kitchen (see badly highlighted IDs in yellow)

Use these IDs in your configuration.yaml as the first post.

Hope this helps

1 Like