Lutron remotes to control Ikea lights

Hello! Apologies if this is obvious or has been answered elsewhere.

Would Home Assistant allow me to set up some Lutron smart switches or remotes (with a Lutron bridge) to control some Ikea smart light bulbs (on/off, dimming, temperature)?

Based on some other discussions such as https://community.home-assistant.io/t/wth-cant-the-lutron-caseta-integration-detect-button-presses-on-all-switches/480944 and https://community.home-assistant.io/t/lutron-caseta-pico-to-zha-zigbee-dimmer-control/457038, I think the answer might be yes. However, I only just found out about Home Assistant today and I cannot fully understand the technical details of those discussions.

If this setup is indeed possible, how complicated would it be to make it work in Home Assistant?

Many thanks!

I don’t have either of those products but I would say yes.
As long as there is an integration (have a look at the integrations page) then it’s possible.
And it’s not hard to do this, you create an automation to do this

1 Like

Yes.

Press/release events for Pico buttons are exposed to HA. You can use the events to trigger any HA automation.

1 Like

The critical thing @jerrm notes above is only Pico remotes. All of the hardwired devices are not exposed as triggers in HA, but it sounds like that’s what you want anyway.

Currently, I have a Pico remote on the wall that looks like a legit wall switch that activates a Z-wave wall plug elsewhere in the room through HA.

1 Like

You will add the Lutron Caseta integration and set it up per the linked docs, then add the Ikea integration per the linked docs, then create an automation that takes the lutron pico remote button press as a trigger and perform an action to turn the light on/off. Pretty easy once you get acclimated to HA.

Have fun!

1 Like

Thank you, All!

@hassbrad What I have in mind sounds very much like your wall plug situation, with the only additional complication of controlling dimming instead of just on/off. However, it sounds like a pico remote could be programmed to do just that. :smiley:

Cheers!

You need the Lutron Pro bridge to integrate pico remotes into HA.

Also, recently they updated the integration to expose buttons on the pico remotes - making it much easier to program for automations.

I have 46 remotes programmed throughout my house, so if you need any help, let me know.

No longer true. The regular bridge is fine.

I don’t think there is any HA related reason to go with the Pro now.

HA doesn’t get button press events from wired caseta devices, but it does get state change events.

You can’t do things like detect a double or long press, but you can have a zigbee or other bulb do things like mirror the lutron switch/dimmer state, or do something on the lutron on, off, brightness change events, etc.

1 Like

Ah…didn’t know that. Used to be required. Good news. However, I’m not sure if the buttons show up with a non-pro bridge as that’s all I got.

Recently, the buttons showed up and broke ALL of my automations I had. Literally had to re-do 40+ remotes.

Yeah, Pico button support was the main reason I got the Pro.

Non-pro support came with 2022.2 (maybe 2021.12?).

Thank you @kksligh and @jerrm.

I am slowly parsing the additional information.
It seems my original goal (controlling ikea smart bulbs with pico remotes via home assistant) can be achieved.

However, if I am investing in Lutron, I think I would eventually like to replace some regular hard-wired switches/dimmers with some Lutron smart switches/dimmers (this would be for regular non-smart bulbs). Am I to understand I won’t be able to control these Lutron smart switches/dimmers from Home Assistant?

You WILL be able to control them.

In HA, the Lutron switches and dimmers are exposed as switch and light entitites with full control.

With regard to triggering automations, HA receives state change events for the switch or light - on, off, brightness change. You base automation triggers based on the state of the light/switch and not on the physical button press. The automation can see when the main lights turn on, and also turn on a zigbee bulb in the floor lamp. The automation doesn’t (easily) know if the main lights turned on because a button was pressed on the wall switch, or another automation turned it on. If the lights are already on and a user presses the on button a second time, HA won’t see the button press because the state of the light did not change (on to on).

Picos are exposed as a set of buttons. HA receives button press and release events for the individual button - off press, off release, on press, on release, raise press, raise release, etc. You can’t “turn on” a pico, but you can programatically simulate pressing the on button.

1 Like

I see! Thank you very much for the clarification.

Overall, I’ve been very pleased with Lutron Caseta.

When I started this path, I wanted to make sure all the basics were 100% functional without LAN or internet, and I didn’t want anything in the walls that wasn’t UL (or equivalent) listed. Lutron Caseta was a great fit and has lived up to those goals.

1 Like

I second this - Lutron’s local push integration has been rock solid. Highly recommend