Making a BarrierOperator work

I bought a NuTone garage door zwave controller and am trying to get it to work with HA.

It uses the BarrierOperator command class, which is not currently supported by open-zwave, but there is support on the Dev branch of the repo.

So, I went in and switched my local clone to that branch and recompiled open-zwave. I also added an entry for it in the config/manufacturer_specific.xml file, though with no custom config file.

When I use open-zwave-control-panel, that component now shows up and I can indeed see and control it’s state. However, when I use pyozw_shell, although I can see the controller and some info about it, I can’t control it. Also, in HA, it now shows its new name from the manufacturer_specific.xml file, but I have no controls or sensors.

So, I’m trying to figure out what I’m missing/what’s next. Seems like openzwave is now happy with this controller and somehow “discovers” its sensors/controls, but python-openzwave (and hence HA) doesn’t.

Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

Here is the device in ozwcp:

HA sees the garage door opener alright, but zwave only detects “sensor” entities, no “lock” or “cover” (not sure exactly which I would expect).

Check this post: