Matter in Home Assistant workshop announcement

?
It is double/triple the cost of regular esp32.

Update: We didn’t realize the devkit was so hard to get so Stefan created a firmware for the M5Stamp C3.

2 Likes

Is it really about the onboard LED? I guess you need the ESP32 for Bluetooth, but is there anything else?

1 Like

They sell these on Aliexpress. With two weeks to go if we order today we might get it until start. :smiley: Considering the price and the lack of availability, it might be worth to take a chance.

Good question.
It would be interesting to know what the specifics/requirements are.

I have a bunch of clone WROOM-32, and would want to know if those are usable (after recompilation of the firmware, ofc)

Home Assistant OS 8.0 or newer (Matter relies on an add-on and Bluetooth)

Is there any chance that the Home Assistant Container users could be provided with a link to the container being used by the Matter add-on so that we can spin it up and follow along as well?

3 Likes

Also a Docker user who would love to follow along using containers. +1 from me!

2 Likes

For the UK, Pimoroni have the M5Stamp C3 in stock on 01/06, whick I can now reveal after ordering two for myself! :slight_smile:
Pimoroni are a decent bunch in Sheffield (famous for not being by the sea, despite their pirate claims!) who have sold me far too much small shiny things over the years.

A quick look at the M5Stamp circuit diagram, shows a neopixel SK6812 connected to GPIO2. An adventurous soul might attempt a cross-compile to another ESP32 variant with a bit of WS2812 tape connected the same pin and 3V3, but finding an in-stock dev board seems a lot more likely to be successful to me.

RE: FM17

Is there any chance that the Home Assistant Container users could be provided with a link to the container being used by the Matter add-on so that we can spin it up and follow along as well?

They sort of touched on this in the announcement:

It is possible to get the experimental Matter support working with other Home Assistant installation methods and other dev kits, but we won’t be covering those in our workshop.

That said, while I don’t expect any sort of formal walkthrough, I’d love a link to the Matter add-on repository so I can figure it out myself (and potentially help others) before the workshop.

3 Likes

Will definitely watch! Hope they will give a bit more of an in depth look into the matter protocol since it can be used over normal wifi as well. Very interested in matter over tcp/ip.

Look promising as many players are getting involved in Matter compatablity between brands. Ikea have recently held a press conference announcing their products coming out later in the year.

Spitballing ideas of how to use the device after the demo.
I wonder if we could create a Matter “Energy Bridge”(sounded like a good name to me) that would help us onboard devices that can’t support Matter. We would use the Matter protocol to onboard the bridge. The “Energy Bridge” would beam over connection info to older devices that will never be able to support Matter. In pairing mode it would look for devices that create a WiFi access point and give us a link to pair the device.

We should create an idea thread. I know someone can top my suggestion

2 Likes

For German users: I got mine here:
https://www.digitalo.de/products/1502735/Espressif-Entwicklungsboard-ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1.html

Way cheeper than Conrad.

Hello, will this works as well?
https://www.amazon.fr/AZDelivery-Development-succédant-développement-incluant/dp/B08BZGC22Q/ref=sr_1_15?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=C3OFXC6TI32W&keywords=Espressif+ESP32-C3-DevKitM-1&qid=1654182022&sprefix=espressif+esp32-c3-devkitm-1%2Caps%2C123&sr=8-15

I’d say no to the ‘ESP32 Dev Kit C V4’ as:

• It doesn’t appear to have a NeoPixel multi-colour LED on the board
    (white rectangle in the centre - and the LED is the specific device to be controlled via Matter)
  • It uses a more generic ESP32-WROOM-32 (not a ESP32-C3)
1 Like

Looking forward to this presentation. Great to hear that device standards are being developed.

A ESP32-WROOM-32 has an onboard LED (a single color one). I’m personally ok with just getting that single binary LED matter-ified as a proof of concept. Given that, could I use the ESP32-WROOM-32 for the workshop? I can’t quite tell why the -C3 is specifically required.

The demo Matter app for ESP32 is here, you can try it out ahead of time and make sure it is working.

2 Likes

What about this module? Its a esp32 C3.

Wil this do?

I don’t know what’s in the workshop, however looking at the Google Matter example code, the list of supported devices might give you some ideas for ESP32 device compatibility.

Beyond CPU differences, a single LED would be on a different pin, driven by a different protocol, and likely would need a different Matter lighting endpoint without colour and brightness (unless you did your own PWM).

As I mentioned above, if you can get a binary to run, you might be able to connect a NeoPixel WS2812 / SK6812 to GPIO2 - just chop one one a bit of LED tape (you’ve read this far so you run WLED, right? :wink: ).