Mirabella Genio Smart Home

Of the 3 Tuya devices I’ve converted so far I started all of them with Tasmota, but yeah considering doing a generic preflash ESPHome image then OTA the final image.

I do plan on adding them but just wanted to make sure they are solid configs before adding them to the cookbook, the git is just a reference for now.

I’ve personally gone straight to uploading the complied ESPHome .bin using tuya-convert and skipping Tasmota all together. Worked flawlessly on the 6 Tuya based devices flashed.

Go right ahead! I’m going to do the same with your use of substitutions, neat :+1:

I wouldn’t mind, but as mentioned adding it to the cookbook is a better idea.

Yup!

i’ve successfully used tuya-convert to flash these with tasmota and it’s working perfectly. identical flashing procedure to the kmart genio, but the tasmota GPIO settings are slightly different.

The only thing i have not been able to find out is whether the USB port is controllable as in turn on/off

one of the tear-downs i read specified that the USB port was not connected to the ESP chip and ran directly from the AC power. i think this is a common tuya design as i’ve seen other tuya based devices with the same limitations.

i think the biggest problem would be that you want to pull a few amps from the USB and that couldn’t be supplied from the ESP chip - you’d need to use another relay to switch it.

You could wire in a transistor / MOSFET or similar to switch the USB power from an ESP output.

i purchased a bunch of Mirabella Genio bulbs to play around with in HA and used your config above. after playing around with the colours, i couldn’t get the bulb brightness up to the normal white as it came out of the box. i eventually worked it out - you need to have separate controls for the “white” channel for this bulb.

i added in the appropriate lines and it started working, however i noticed that the controls in HA seemed “out of sync” with what was going on. i went back to the tasmota/HA documentation and found a much better configuration. i’ve combined this with the white channel below and now it works beautifully.

i also discovered you can do “effects” to automatically cycle colours and also a disco mode :slight_smile:

note - in order for my config below to work, open up the console on your tasmotised mirabella RGBW bulb and issue the console commands:

SetOption17 1   - This enables decimal colors
SetOption59 1   - This enables sending of tele//STATE on POWER and light related commands

see my working config below:

light:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "Mirabella RGBW 01"
    command_topic: "cmnd/MiraRGB01/POWER"
    state_topic: "tele/MiraRGB01/STATE"
    state_value_template: "{{value_json.POWER}}"
    availability_topic: "tele/MiraRGB01/LWT"
    brightness_command_topic: "cmnd/MiraRGB01/Dimmer"
    brightness_state_topic: "tele/MiraRGB01/STATE"
    brightness_scale: 100
    on_command_type: "brightness"
    brightness_value_template: "{{value_json.Dimmer}}"
    rgb_command_topic: "cmnd/MiraRGB01/Color2"
    rgb_state_topic: "tele/MiraRGB01/STATE"
    rgb_value_template: "{{value_json.Color.split(',')[0:3]|join(',')}}"
    white_value_state_topic: "tele/MiraRGB01/STATE"
    white_value_command_topic: "cmnd/MiraRGB01/White"
    white_value_scale: 100
    white_value_template: "{{ value_json.Channel[3] }}"
    effect_command_topic: "cmnd/MiraRGB01/Scheme"
    effect_state_topic: "tele/MiraRGB01/STATE"
    effect_value_template: "{{value_json.Scheme}}"
    effect_list:
    payload_on: "ON"
    payload_off: "OFF"
    payload_available: "Online"
    payload_not_available: "Offline"
    qos: 1
    retain: false

effect 0 = no effect
effect 1 = dim and go brighter - white
effect 2 = colour clockwise
effect 3 = colour anti-clockwise
effect 4 = disco

cheers, wizdude.

@wizdude this is exactly why I’ve switched to using ESPHome, so I can avoid the config garbage and just get on with using my devices, you just need to configure the ESPHome firmware with the correct channels and it auto configures HA via mqtt discovery, or API if that is more your thing.

Just a heads up everyone. The ‘clone’ of these products by Brilliant Lighting (e.g. their smart plug you can get from Bunnings) are about to expand their range quite a bit. I found on an electrical wholesaler I buy stuff from the following:

• wifi dimmer
  • wifi four outlet power board
  • smart sensor camera with speaker
  • reed switch

And so on. Not sure if this link will work but you can check it out here . Hopefully a lot of (or all) of these products can also be flashed to work with HA. Exciting that we’re finally getting some low cost stuff in Australia. Their RGB bulbs on that site are $24, cheaper even that the Mirabella K-mart ones.

sweet! will be interesting to see the prices

bircoe, can I pick your brain.

I just flashed a ‘Brilliant Smart LED’ and used your ESPHome config. I’d assumed that the Brilliant and Mirabella bulbs would be the same but there must be a slight difference (or perhaps not, this is my first bulb in HA so perhaps I’m not use to its quirks).

So the white value slider, I had assumed it would change the bulb from say warm white to cold white. But what it does is change the bulb from light to a mix of white and the colour selected on the colour wheel. So if I have chosen, say red, it won’t appear fully red until I slide the white value all the way to the left.

The brightness does change the brightness, but only if I have the white value slid all the way to the left. If the white value is slid all the way to the right, the brightness slider does nothing. If the white slider is slid all the way left, then brightness will work. Colors otherwise display accurately.

Could this be that the pin for white is different on Brilliant’s version of the bulb?

Just another heads up - if/when these products become available via retail, DO NOT register/use them with the Brilliant or Tuya apps if you plan to flash them over-the-air using tuya-convert. the exploit/technique used by tuya-convert has been patched by Tuya and if you connect any devices to the Tuya cloud it will upgrade the firmware and make over the air flashing to Tasmota or ESPHome not possible.

you can still crack the devices open and flash them by hand, but for some devices this is a real pain (ie: lightbulbs).

i am also working on the assumption that these new devices will not already ship with updated firmware. we won’t know for sure until they arrive on the retail market.

some of these items look very interesting. the PIR would be good to put into my corridor to automatically switch the light :slight_smile:

Lets hope the guys who did the tuya convert can get around the new firmware limitation

1 Like

i just saw the most exciting product on that list - the 1/2/3/4 gang smart wall light switches. this is the most exciting product there. replace your existing light switches with smart switches. this is by far a much better solution than smart bulbs because you have full manual/smart control at all times.

these aren’t new - i have already played with these, but it’s all about australian standards. many chinese manufacturers make these switches and some companies in australia have got them put through the required electrical testing to get a compliance certificate.

the only thing at the moment has been the price. i can purchase non-compliant wall switches for around USD$15-20 and fully approved switches for around USD$20-25 (without shipping) direct from china.

the exact same fully approved switch above from many australian resellers usually goes for around $52+ and i’ve seen for a multi gang version as much as $100.

here’s hoping that brilliant doesn’t shaft us and provides a cost effective solution. they have the potential to tap the australian market with great products.

i just created an account on tradezone to check it out. damn. it’s expensive

single gang light switch wholesale $71. four gang light switch wholesale $103. PIR $55, reed switch $40. the 4 x powerboard is $76.

this is notably more expensive than the current “expensive” people bringing in certified equipment. at these prices, the best option is to just direct order from china.

it’s disappointing. i was really looking forward to some decent pricing here, considering that the tuya single power point switch was very cost effective.

Hi all,

Pretty new to this, only started a few days ago and picked up some of these globes the Warm White ones. Managed to flash them over to ESPHome and im able to turn them on and off and dim them via the dashboard however using @cryptelli’s on_boot code the light doesnt turn on when i switch it on. everything compiles correctly. Am i missing something? Do i need to add code to the config yaml?

Update: Got it working with the below code:

esphome:
  name: outside_light
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

# Ensure the light turns on by default if the physical switch is actuated.
  on_boot:
    priority: 30
    then:
      - light.turn_on:
          id: light
          brightness: 100%

light:
  - platform: monochromatic
    name: "Outside Light"
    id: light
    output: output_component1

output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_component1
    pin: GPIO13

I’ve had success with the Kogan switches with energy measurement and the white smart globes and Tuya-convert.

@Sting sorry, didn’t see this until now. The initial config posted to the ESPHome cookbook was working as intended but a change in 0.12.1 caused the bulb to not function using an on_boot priority of 100. I’ve since changed mine all to 50.0 being the second highest level to prevent any delay in the light turning on.

As per the the ESPHome docs - ESPHome Core Configuration — ESPHome

50.0: This is where most sensors are set up.