Mirabella Genio Smart Home

Happy Aus day to you guys too!

where u both from?

Im south east vic

I’m from Brisvegas but living in Canberra.

Here in Brisbane

Just thought I would share my experience flashing the genio bulb OTA via tuya-convert

This was the first time I’ve flashed tasmota on a device OTA, previously I’ve flashed a number of sonoff devices via serial (sonoff basic, sv, t1 and s20), but I couldn’t be bothered opening these globes.

I have to say I found the process quite difficult and there wasn’t much documented about it. Firstly I didn’t know how to get the globe into auto config mode. Eventually I worked out via the genio app you need to turn the globe on for about 10 seconds, then cycle it off & on 3 times. It should start flashing rapidly if you do it right.

Once I worked that out, I still couldn’t get the tuya-convert script to detect the globe. I tried running it as root, then tried another linux setup (raspberry pi). Eventually I went back to my ubuntu laptop and reran the installer script as root, and then the main script as root and it worked!

Next issue
so I connected my laptop to the wifi on the globe (now flashed with tasmota). I put in my wifi details and password and restarted it. Now my globe was flashing slowly because it wasn’t connecting to my wifi. Maybe it didn’t flash right, but then I thought maybe I put in the wrong wifi password or ssid? So the only way to fix that would be to flash via serial because there is now no way to connect to the web config? I gave up and went to bed as it was now like 2am and I had work the next day.

The next day, I decided to temporarily disable my wifi’s security and see if the globe connected to it. Sure enough it did! So finally I was able to login to the globe and update all the settings in the console. Now working perfectly in Home Assistant via MQTT :slight_smile:

So I spent several hours just to flash the globe which I thought it was going to be a 10 minute thing! But now that I’ve gone through it once and learnt from my mistakes, I think it will be much easier next time!

What other cheap devices from common Australian retailers are people flashing with tasmota?

Hi All,

I managed to flash a Warm White Globe OTA, I have been able to work out the basic MQTT to get the globe to turn on and off but not sure how to change the brightness ? does anyone have some sample config that they can share ?

Cheers,

Justin

Hi All,

I think I managed to work out a MQTT configuration that works and can control the brightness of the globe, see extract from configuration.yaml->

• name: “geniolight1”
    platform: mqtt
    state_topic: “stat/genio1/POWER”
    command_topic: “cmnd/genio1/POWER”
    payoad_on: “ON”
    payoad_off: “OFF”
    brightness_state_topic: “stat/genio1/dimmer”
    brightness_command_topic: “cmnd/genio1/dimmer”
    brightness_scale: 100
    flash: true
    rgb: false
    optimistic: false
    qos: 0
    retain: true

Cheers,

Justin

1 Like

Hey @JustinP,
Thanks for that extract, I will give it a try on my setup! :grinning:

The Genio app actually mentions the process to get it into config mode, but it doesn’t specifically have to be done via the app, you can just turn the power off and on whether that be a wall switch or a power outlet if it’s in a lamp, doesn’t matter, I did it with the foot switch of the lamp I had it in for testing.

I’m more interested in getting it working with EasyESP than Tasmota and plan on testing this when I get time, I find EasyESP nicer from an end user perspective than Tasmota.

I had an annoying experience with Tasmota last night on a Wemos Mini D1, the web interface was very laggy and unresponsive after a few clicks in the UI, flashed it to EasyESP and the problem went away
 back to Tasmota and it was laggy again so I know it wasn’t a wifi issue
 Not sure what the deal was but it was repeatable with this particular Wemos and I ended up sticking with EasyESP. I’ve never been particualry impressed with Tasmota but EasyESP on the otherhand is very nice.

Oh yeah that’s how I found out the method. I guess I thought I could get away without having to install the app :slight_smile:
Anyway I updated the wiki so it’s clear for people if they buy these globes and are looking to flash straight away without bothering with the app.

I bet if you try one of the older release
like 6.3 it would be fine. 6.4.1 has a lot of features that can make the device laggy depending on the amount of memory available. I noticed this on my sonoff basics.

That’s why I compile my own tasmota images, and get rid of any features I don’t need depending on the device (eg. all the additional sensor features, HA discovery, domoticz etc) This makes the image to flash smaller and easier on the device memory. All my tasmota devices are fast in web UI. Without doing this it’s too laggy to use 6.4.1 on a sonoff basic.

Same with these mirabella globes - I noticed with the default 6.4.1 basic firmware as part of the tuya-convert method was laggy in the web UI. Lagginess gone after I flashed with my own compiled 6.4.1 image.

Also, the pre comilped releases from 6.4.0 onwards uses arduino core 2.4.2. The older ones used 2.3 which I find is more stable and not as laggy. So when I compile, I still use core 2.3 for the newer 6.4.1 releases. If you don’t want to compile, you can try using core 2.3 pre-compiled images from here
http://thehackbox.org/tasmota/release/020300/

This is the config I use for warm white globe as per the wiki on tasmota. Just enable setoption59 to 1 as per the link to get tele/state messages enabled.

That link also has the settings for colour globes, and the white globes where you can change colour temperature

- platform: mqtt
  name: Hallway Light
  command_topic: "cmnd/bulb1/POWER"
  state_topic: "tele/bulb1/STATE"
  state_value_template: "{{value_json.POWER}}"
  availability_topic: "tele/bulb1/LWT"
  brightness_command_topic: "cmnd/bulb1/Dimmer"
  brightness_state_topic: "tele/bulb1/STATE"
  on_command_type: "brightness"
  brightness_value_template: "{{value_json.Dimmer}}"
  payload_on: "ON"
  payload_off: "OFF"
  payload_available: "Online"
  payload_not_available: "Offline"
  qos: 1
  retain: false
1 Like

Thanks, I’ll check out those prebuilt images, I still like EasyESP though

Hopefully I can get some time to work more on this soon, just moved interstate and started a new job so my play time is limited to an hour or two of an evening at the moment.

Thanks so3n,

I will give that config a go.

Cheers,

Justin

I finally got some time to put into this (and found my Raspberry Pi 3, moving sucks!), I have the Mirabella RGBW Globe, I used tuya-convert running on a Raspberry Pi 3 as per the instructions worked first time, no issues.

I setup Tasmota as a Generic Module using these pin assignments:

GPIO4 PWM1 (Red)
GPIO12 PWM2 (Green)
GPIO14 PWM3 (Blue)
GPIO5 PWM4 (White)

And finally configured Home Assistant like this:

- platform: mqtt
      name: 'RGBW'
      state_topic: "stat/rgbw_38E678/POWER"
      command_topic: "cmnd/rgbw_38E678/POWER"
      brightness_state_topic: "stat/rgbw_38E678/DIMMER"
      brightness_command_topic: "cmnd/rgbw_38E678/DIMMER"
      brightness_value_template: "{{ value_json.brightness }}"
      rgb_state_topic: "stat/rgbw_38E678/COLOR"
      rgb_command_topic: "cmnd/rgbw_38E678/COLOR"
      rgb_command_template: "{{ '%02x%02x%02x00' | format(red, green, blue) }}"
      qos: 1
      payload_on: "ON"
      payload_off: "OFF"
      retain: true

After restarting Home Assistant I have full RGBW control.

1 Like

this is me every night when i’m playing with home automation. after a long day at work and an evening cleaning up and time with the kids i have this small window of opportunity to do stuff, and then you find something new you didn’t know before and 
 it’s soooo late 
 but 
 :slight_smile:

The Bunnings “Brilliant” smart wifi plug for $20. it’s just another Tuya, so i’ve been installing tasmota using tuya-convert on my Ubuntu laptop. The procedure was identical to the Genio wifi plug from K-mart. the only difference is the GPIO settings in tasmota as they are wired slightly differently inside.

I’ve been testing ESPHome on my devices lately and am finding it a lot more stable than Tasmota, if anyone is interested in trying ESPHome this is my current config for the Genio RGB globes:

esphomeyaml:
  name: rgbw_e27_01
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: ''
  password: ''

# Enable logging
logger:

ota:

mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.1.60

web_server:
  port: 80

output:
  - platform: esp8266_pwm
    id: output_red
    pin: GPIO4
    id: output_green
    pin: GPIO12
    id: output_blue
    pin: GPIO14
    id: output_white
    pin: GPIO5

light:
  - platform: rgbw
    name: "rgbw_e27_01"
    red: output_red
    green: output_green
    blue: output_blue
    white: output_white

Note if you’ve never tried ESPHomelib, the above yaml is used to configure the ESPHome firmware, not to be added to a Home ASsistant config.

1 Like

Extending on from the ESPHome configuration posted by @bircoe for the RGB version of the Genio bulb, please find below mine for the both the tunable and cool white / warm white bulbs.

Thanks to the existing work by @so3n which this adaption is based on:(https://github.com/arendst/Sonoff-tasmota/wiki/Mirabella-Genio-Bulb)

Mirabella Genio Tunable (Warm - Cool - Day)

esphome:
  name: genio_cwww_1

# Ensure the light turns on by default if the physical switch is actuated.
  # https://esphome.io/components/esphome#esphome-on-boot
  on_boot:
    priority: 100 # Highest priority, ensures light turns on without delay.
    then:
      - light.turn_on: light

wifi:

logger:

web_server:

api:

ota:

output:
    id: output_warm_white
    pin: GPIO13
    id: output_daylight
    pin: GPIO5

light:
  - platform: cwww
    id: light
    name: genio_cwww_1
    cold_white: output_daylight
    warm_white: output_warm_white
    cold_white_color_temperature: 153.84 mireds #6500k
    warm_white_color_temperature: 370.37 mireds #2700k

Mirabella Genio CW (Cool White) / WW (Warm White)

esphome:
  name: genio_cw_1

# Ensure the light turns on by default if the physical switch is actuated.
  # https://esphome.io/components/esphome#esphome-on-boot
  on_boot:
    priority: 100 # Highest priority, ensures light turns on without delay.
    then:
      - light.turn_on: light

wifi:

logger:

web_server:

api:

ota:

output:
    id: light
    pin: GPIO13

light:
  - platform: monochromatic
    name: genio_cw_1
    output: light
1 Like

Nice one, I’m going to “borrow/steal” the on_boot bits

I’m trying to start a repo of all my ESPHome configs, it’s pretty light on at the moment because most of my stuff is Wemos Mini D1 based custom so may not be very useful to other prople but I’ll get them all in there soon
 if you don’t mind I can add yours, would be nice to have an all in one reference for Australian products.

The GPIO mapping in here would have saved me a bunch of time lol!

Maybe upload them to the esphome cookbook, pretty sure Otto would have them on their for everyone to use

I read in your Git that you are using tuya-convert and have switched from Tasmota to ESPhome. Are you going straight from the original firmware to ESPhome using the third party .bin instruction as per the bottom line of the readme? (replacing the .bin file with one downloaded from ESPhome?)