Mirabella Genio Smart Home

I managed to get the power consumption working for the Aldi (Medion) Smart WiFi Switch using the Teckin Module Template for Tasmota.

However, the soft touch power switch on the device itself doesn’t work.

What is the difference in the Tasmota GPIO between the Kmart Genio and the Brilliant WiFi Smart Switch?

Currently the Tasmota wiki is showing them as using the same template.

Update: Tried the Genio template settings as per wiki and nothing works. I can’t toggle or use the switch on the device.

i have both of these devices. I setup the Genio as per the wiki with no issues. GitHub - arendst/Tasmota: Alternative firmware for ESP8266 and ESP32 based devices with easy configuration using webUI, OTA updates, automation using timers or rules, expandability and entirely local control over MQTT, HTTP, Serial or KNX. Full documentation at

this is mine running as of right now:

i setup the brilliant as per this post on the tuya-convert thread: Successfully flashed Brilliant Smart Wifi Plug (Bunnings AU) · Issue #66 · ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert · GitHub

and a screenshot of this as well:

That worked, thank you for your very detailed reply.

Hi @bukurat,

Do you mean to say you have had success with these:

with OTA Tuya-convert?

I’m looking at getting started with a Hassbian project, my first Home Assistant dabble in the next could of weeks, and am trying to source some reasonably priced Aussie hardware. The Kogan lights are currently the best price I can find. Next to those are the TP-Link LB100’s. I’m still looking through my search results for ‘Australia’ on this forum to see what hardware people are using, failing that I’ll make my own post to create a list.

Many thanks for any info you can share.

For globes I have been using the Yeelights for about 18 months and they have been great. I kinda figured that something like a globe would be ok… (I wouldn’t go wiring in non-certified gear though)

Ive been using these for a few days, flashing with tasmota using the ftdi methon mentioned further up.
Holding GPIO 0 to ground on boot puts it into flashing mode.

For wall switches, im either using sonoff basics, connected to the original walls witch, with the power running through the relay. But having the wall switch control the led using MQTT and not control the relay directly. This way the relay is always on, but i can turn it off if i want to work on the light socket using the tasmota ip address GUI.

I have also changed a few of my wall switches to sonoff t1 US, touch wall switches.

All is working great so far.

Forgot to mention, i use Openhab and not HA, i just joined to post that i have successfully flashed these and have them working, if anyone else needs help.

Hey mate,
How did you go with Sengled bulbs?

Anyone seen the new products Mirabella have? Led strip, cameras, window door sensors and motion? All look wifi enabled and require their app, would this mean they are also tuya based?

I just visited my local Kmart. They are selling the Mirabella window sensors and the motion/pir sensor. I tried using tuya-convert but its not working. They must have the updated firmware.

I’ve opened up the PIR sensor. You just need to turn the back part anti clockwise. The back cover comes off. Then you need to push 4 securing tabs using a small flat head screwdriver. The two plastic pieces should separate. They are definitely tuya devices. Any help flashing these without tuya-convert?

Looks like the RX/TX pins are next to the main chip

GND is to the bottom left of the white sensor and 5V is to the bottom right of the sensor.

1 Like

Hey can you link me to the Aldi Smart Plug that has power monitoring capability ?
The user manual for the AU ones on special-buys this week make no mention of any monitoring.

Sound like they have dropped the power monitoring capability then. They look the same, but it wouldn’t be too hard to just make a model without power monitoring if they think not many people would use it.

If it doesn’t have power monitoring, as it would seem, or you don’t need it, then I would buy the Brilliant Smart Switch from Bunnings for $15. Cheaper, takes up less space for double power points and probably works better with third party firmware. As I don’t yet know what is in the new Aldi Medion Smart Switch and how it is configured, I am just making some assumptions based on the previous model.

Just to back this up, I have flashed 6 of these OTA with Tuya-Convert to ESPhome and they worked perfectly.

I’ve now got two Brilliants coming from Bunnings (had to get a friend from across town to help as local stocks are zeroed out).

I bought one of those motion sensors after having success with the lights. Alas, I have had no luck getting these to work with custom firmware.

Hi all,

I bought a bunch from Woolworths tonight of the Mirabella Genio colour and white globes. I’ve set up a Pi Zero with tuya-convert. The devices (2x colour globes I’m testing with) appear to join the localised wifi - I see them in the log files and they stop crashing - however we never get past “Waiting for the upgraded device to appear”, and I don’t see any requests to the web server.

I’m assuming that these devices are already firmware patched. Is there a way to verify this is the case and I’m not doing anything wrong? Here’s the smarthack-wifi.log/smarthack-smartconfig output:

==> scripts/smarthack-smartconfig.log <==
Put Device in Learn Mode! Sending SmartConfig Packets now
Sending SSID                  vtrust-flash
Sending wifiPassword          flashmeifyoucan
SmartConfig in progress
SmartConfig complete.
Put Device in Learn Mode! Sending SmartConfig Packets now
Sending SSID                  vtrust-flash
Sending wifiPassword          flashmeifyoucan
SmartConfig in progress
SmartConfig complete.

==> scripts/smarthack-web.log <==
Listening on port 80

==> scripts/smarthack-wifi.log <==
wlan0: STA ec:fa:bc:35:50:9d IEEE 802.11: associated
wlan0: STA ec:fa:bc:35:50:9d IEEE 802.11: disassociated
wlan0: STA bc:dd:c2:a2:7a:58 IEEE 802.11: associated
wlan0: STA ec:fa:bc:35:50:9d IEEE 802.11: associated
wlan0: AP-STA-CONNECTED bc:dd:c2:a2:7a:58
wlan0: STA bc:dd:c2:a2:7a:58 RADIUS: starting accounting session 5A20EBF78EAE25D0
wlan0: STA bc:dd:c2:a2:7a:58 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
wlan0: AP-STA-CONNECTED ec:fa:bc:35:50:9d
wlan0: STA ec:fa:bc:35:50:9d RADIUS: starting accounting session E95F2FC2C508782B
wlan0: STA ec:fa:bc:35:50:9d WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

EDIT:

A tcpdump indicates to me that it’s trying to hit port 443, even though this hack only listens on 80:

2214 327.632765000  10.42.42.35 → 10.42.42.1   DNS 73 Standard query 0x32de A a3.tuyaus.com
 2215 327.633476000   10.42.42.1 → 10.42.42.35  DNS 89 Standard query response 0x32de A a3.tuyaus.com A 10.42.42.1
 2216 327.638811000  10.42.42.35 → 10.42.42.1   TCP 58 5999 → 443 [SYN] Seq=0 Win=4380 Len=0 MSS=1460
 2217 327.639125000   10.42.42.1 → 10.42.42.35  TCP 54 443 → 5999 [RST, ACK] Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=0 Len=0
 2218 327.708088000  10.42.42.20 → 10.42.42.1   DNS 73 Standard query 0x11db A a3.tuyaus.com
 2219 327.708824000   10.42.42.1 → 10.42.42.20  DNS 89 Standard query response 0x11db A a3.tuyaus.com A 10.42.42.1
 2220 327.718729000  10.42.42.20 → 10.42.42.1   TCP 58 27091 → 443 [SYN] Seq=0 Win=4380 Len=0 MSS=1460
 2221 327.719045000   10.42.42.1 → 10.42.42.20  TCP 54 443 → 27091 [RST, ACK] Seq=1 Ack=1 Win=0 Len=0

I’m guessing this infers new firmware?

im getting the same thing no joy on the colour

bulb

I have the 9WRGBW Genio from KMart. I was able to flash it with “tuya-convert” using a RPi3. I switched the bulb on and off, giving it a second or two every 5 cycles and after 2 or 3 cycles it started flashing. I ran “tuya-convert” and the sonoff-XXXX appeared as a new network. I connected to it and browsed to 192.168.4.1 and set up my wifi. I had to do this a few times as it would not save initially but after a few tries it worked and I am able to use it with Tasmota now.

Has anyone had any success with the other devices? I tried the door sensor but the deep sleep is a huge issue. Tasmota is not a viable option for it. I am also playing with the PIR Motion sensor (Genio HKWL-MS03W). Has anyone been able to load it with custom firmware or figured out the GPIO setup of this device? I believe someone has posted a picture of the board above.

PS. I have not been able to use “tuya-convert” with the Genio socket Plug. There is information here on how to solder and upload Tasmota manually but I have not had the guts to try soldering onto that tiny board, yet. The Brilliant smart plug from Bunnings are the same but they flush with “tuya-convert” without an issue. I have been to six branches and can’t find more of them.

Just attempted flashing ESPhome to an RGB genio bulb from kmart and I think I bricked it. It’s not showing up on my ESPhome tab on home assistant.

Powering on the bulb it flickers blue then comes on warm white but very dull. I tried cycling power 3 times but can’t get back into pairing mode, any ideas?

Did the flash process work ok? what code did you flash to it, was it as per the ESPhome cookbook?