More Analytics

In the next upcoming release of Home Assistant (2021.4) there will be an opt-in Analytics integration, and a public website to view the stats (located at https://analytics.home-assistant.io/). You can try this in the public beta right now. @ludeeus did an incredible job on this!

Here’s a couple more ideas that would be cool to see added in the future (was asked to post it here so it doesn’t get lost).

• Percentage of installs per country (kind of a “leaderboard” type thing)
  • Hardware device type breakdowns (RPi, Odroid, etc) - apparently this can only be determined on OS install types
  • Avg number of Lovelace dashboards, views, cards
  • Avg number of entities expose to Alexa/Google/HomeKit
  • Percentages of those running beta/dev/stable
  • Percentage of those that use the official Mobile App
  • Percentages of those using storage/yaml/autogen for Lovelace

If anyone has any other ideas of stats they’d like to see, feel free to suggest some more here. This is going to be such a cool feature :slight_smile:

What about average number of devices/entities per integration?

1 Like

It would be cool to see a listing of time_since_last_boot somehow, as a way of seeing who (obviously not naming them) has gone the longest. I’m just over 3 days at moment… :rofl:

1 Like

Uptime would be an interesting stat for sure! I rarely ever go more than a day between restarts so you’ve got me beat there :stuck_out_tongue:

Some more analytics ideas:

• Percentage of users with Multi-factor Auth / 2FA enabled
  • Percentage of users with Advanced Mode toggle enabled
  • Percentage breakdown of the default Light/Dark/Auto theme
  • Percentage of those using a non-default / custom theme
  • Percentage breakdown of the various languages/translations
2 Likes

Off topic, but dark mode would be great. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you are talking about the portal, it has had that since the initial “version” (it uses the host/browser to determine it), if you are talking about the theme setting in HA that’s not off topic and already noted by @SeanM?

I mean some switch, like in your HACS dokumentation, as i always prefer dark mode.
Auswahl_459

TBH those are just stupid and not needed.
Set your preference in your OS / browser and sites that have it should just use that.

Not for me, Ubuntu 18.04 with Compiz, and i love it.

Stats I would like to see… hmm how about…

1. Total/Average/Max of devices broken down by integration

2. Total/Average/Max of devices broken down by integration

3. Total/Average/Max of Integrations

4. Total/Average/Max of Automations and/or Scripts

5. Avg/Max Age of Install (by both time and/or number of times updated)

6. Avg/Max Uptime

6 posts were split to a new topic: Number of installations on the analytics portal

It would be neat if you could filter multiple integrations: tasmota, esphome google trend style (with a graph or without)

It’s going to be interesting to see these numbers change as non-beta users start sharing!

Kinda pointless now but it would eventually be interesting to be able to see all the stats over a time period to see things like how quickly a feature or integration is adopted when it comes out or if an integration use is in the decline etc etc.

1 Like

Right now the maps shows all the installed instances per country.
I would like to see installed instances per capita, i.e how big percentage of the countries population is using HA.

I don’t understand this grammar. In general, this data is meant to be aggregate, and not allow to track you.

Yes, but it apparently knows at least which country the reporting users are in since the stats are broken down by country.

I think they are asking to take the reported stats for each country and dividing by the country’s population to get the percent of the country that is using HA or it’s components.

However, I think they are going to be disappointed in those results since say for the US that has a population of ~>330 million and only 1695 installations I’m not sure that knowing that .00000000514% of the population is using HA is very useful. :laughing:

1 Like

Plus, it would be non-representative to those who would have opted out of analytics, or haven’t updated. Also, the core repository has 41.8k stars, and the reddit has 118k members.

1 Like

True but you’re going to have to factor that in to any decision based on the need to obtain those analytics in the first place. The whole idea of analytics is useless if you are concerned that it likely isn’t really a good representation of the users who didn’t report. If that’s the case then what’s the point?

I’ve never starred the repo and I am not a reddit member. so there’s that too. :grinning:

1 Like

Would love to see info on which addons are in use and how many users are using them. Also if possible, would be great if each addon included the url from its config so people could click through and discover addons others are using they weren’t aware of. Other then the core and community addon repos its pretty difficult to discover addons in other repos but there are a lot out there which are quite useful.

Also could be used to make a case for bringing an addon to the core/community repos if one is particularly popular.

This would only be for supervised and whatever else.