MYQ not working again

Home bridge vs homebridge:

There are two very different “home bridge” references in the myq thread(s).

1. The discontinued MyQ homekit device which has supported local only for years.

2. The hombridge project which has continued to work throughout many of the HA outages.

For clarity, it is worth noting which is being referred to since both have previously been mentioned as possible solutions.

Is there a cloudless option with MyQ?

I don’t know. I don’t own the device. I went cloudless by avoiding MyQ all together with a DIY solution using a zwave relay & open/close sensor. I soldered 2 wires to opposite sides of a garage remote button to avoid needing to “know the rolling code” that ratgdo provides a solution for.

I think that MyQ starts replying with 401 Unauthorised if the integration continues to contact it after several HTTP 429.

I’m thinking on switching to local mqtt control with ratgdo. Enough of MyQ cloud API shenanigans.

1 Like

This is what I tried and got the 401 error.

1 Like

The discontinued MyQ homekit device

If I had LM/Chamberlain, it would be my choice. Ratdgo is what I’ll use for my parents.

I was using the MyQ hub to control Genie openers, so a simple relay and sensor was all that I needed.

myq on homebridge… Unable to login to the myQ API.
Please check your email address and password.
myQ API error: Invalid myQ credentials given: Check your username and password. If they are correct, the myQ API may be experiencing temporary issues.

so it also is not working.

My next garage door opener will not be chamberlain/Liftmaster because they have specifically infuriated and excluded anyone using a third-party platform. Unfortunately, there is only one other option if you also require Amazon Key deliveries (Genie Connect). Even with Genie, it is cloud-based access only. I have an email stating they allow third party access and expect to continue that policy. Of course they could change that policy at any time.

Yes, I can add another bunch of hardware to allow HA to work locally, but it’s another point of failure and a waste of time/money since myQ could easily do this if Chaimberlain opened local access. Despite owning the myq hardware we are disallowed from using it unless we pay into one of their exclusive partner platforms.

I just noted this on the MyQ website. Is there a way to connect MyQ to HA via IFTTT ?

Looks like Chamberlain wants to charge you for the option MyQ Integrations - Connect Your Apps with IFTTT.

Activate your MyQ Premium Services IFTTT subscription to get started, or learn more about MyQ.

CreateBuy

I have IFTT Pro (not Pro+) and I only see Close door, Turn off light, Turn on light as available actions for MyQ, no Open door.

I followed the “Activate your MyQ Premium Services IFTTT subscription to get started” link, which takes you to a myqservices.com subscriptions page:

“Welcome to myQ Premium Access. You’re just a few steps away from a premium garage access experience in your Tesla, powered by myQ”. I do not have a Tesla!

There was an “Activate trial” which I did… “Your 30-day free trial is now active!”… but it did not give me any more options in IFTT… still no Open door action…

I also tried initiating Homebridge Project plug-in homebridge-myq and the Homeassistant MyQ integration but both are still returning 429 errors…

1 Like

Can only close door, not open it.

This has been breaking on and off for me, and after I saw that I could integrate directly to Tesla I was amazed, until I read that they want to charge for that option! as a service per month…
Since I am completely amazed that they think this will be an option to pay for your garage door to open per month… I also have two Door looks that they acuried which after they did work very poorly and are basically just junk for me today. Spent over 400 usd for that ( which at the time had good potential but now was forced to special could firmware). So now I am moving to ratgdo. Order placed and waiting for my parts cannot wait to get rid of MyQ.

MIne broke as well but his fix does not work. Mine is a gate opener not a garage opener. Similar earlier useragent fix had worked for me. I am guessing this only works for garage door? Could anyone help to create one for gate openers?

Thanks for lettings is know. I will have to find an alternative to MyQ.

I restarted my homebridge server, just for myq. Got the 429 errors for a bit, turned the plugin off waited, turned back on, it’s been working w/o error for about a day.

I’m done with MyQ as well.

I have a spare Aqara Zigbee Vibration sensor. It also does tilt.

Action plan

1. Install Aqara vibration tilt sensor onto garage door.
  2. Open / Close the garage door to get the tilt angles for opened / closed.
  3. Figure out how to do a Home Assistant helper sensor to show “Open” / “Closed” based on the tilt angle and give it a few degrees leeway each side.
  4. Update Home Assistant panels around the house to display this new sensor. Remove the toggle action from the button. It will be display only.
  5. Figure out how to disable / delete the garage door from the MyQ app.
  6. Figure out how to delete the MyQ whole account.
  7. Wait for the ratgo thing to come in and see if that will work for me.
  8. Remove Chaimberlain garage door from WiFi network / block internet.

We have garage door openers in the cars and there is a switch on the wall in the garage. Back to that which is just fine with me.

In case this helps anyone else (see above for the scenario)

platform: template
sensors:
  garage_car_door_position:
    friendly_name: Garage Car Door Position
    value_template: >
      {% set tilt = states('sensor.garage_car_door_vibration_sensor_b836_angle_y')|int %}
      {% if tilt >= 70 %}
        Closed
      {% elif tilt >= 5 and tilt < 70 %}
        Moving
      {% else %}
        Open
      {% endif %}