Ness DX8/DX16 Alarm

Have a general question about the USR-TCP232-302. If anyone recalls I have been having the issue where everything I send to it bounces back. Also I have found that I can only receive info from the NESS panel. That is I can see the PIRs detect movement. I can see when I arm and disarm the panel at the physical keypad but if I ask to arm or disarm through HA nothing happens. I have checked the three wire cable I have and there is continuity there. Anything else I can do to fault find this. Could the converter be the issue?

how is your arm home issue going after the 0.91 update? iā€™ve still got the same issues but no actual errors in the debug log that i can tell.

Editā€¦ nvm I didnā€™t add ā€œinfer_arming_state = trueā€ into configuration.yaml

Says armed away nowā€¦ should it say armed home? I guess itā€™s the same . Gives you a disarm button

Good catch :+1:. Iā€™m planning on updating to 0.91.0 this afternoon, donā€™t imagine there to be any issues since I manually patched the component files on 0.90.0 so I didnā€™t have to wait 2 weeks :smile:.

No yet, there is an open issue to have the status accurately reflected.

1 Like

I use home mode all the time, so Iā€™m glad I can now disarm but would like to have it show the correct status though.

1 Like

Sorry @OzGav - I canā€™t replicate your issue as per before ā€¦ canā€™t remember if we checked/compared firmware versions on the TCP232?

Thanks I will try and get a copy of the firmware and reflash it and if that fails I will buy a second one from eBay and see if that shows my current one to be faulty.

FWIW - I got mine from ā€œ99techā€. Were cheapest ā€œin countryā€ at the time and good service.

Mine is running this:

Firmware Versionļ¼šV4018

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks they are the company I bought from as well based on your previous advice. Same firmware as well. Will see if I get a response from my request for the firmware and if not I will get a cheaper one off ebay and wait for it to arriveā€¦

Great work to Cryptelli. I can report this is working through a Lantronix Serial-IP converter. However, I have a suggestion for an improvement.
I run my panel with 2 Areas. The first is the main house (most zones) and the second is my workshop (2 x zones). this allows the workshop to be armed whilst I am in the house. It seems that the panel in Hass only understands a single area. Would be great to see this understand the two areas.

Hope this makes some sense!

Adrian.

Just tried a new TCP232 and same problem as before. So I am guessing either the panel has some software or hardware issue that is preventing it from receiving commandsā€¦

Have you tried directly connecting to a pc without the converter?

No I havent. I can try that and see what I get out of it. Might take a few days to get around to it.

@nickw444 Iā€™ve noticed by using a scan_interval of 3 seconds when arming/disarming it sometimes doesnā€™t register the first time, but does after 2-3 attempts.

Just raising in case something can be done to solve this issue or if itā€™s just a downside to having a faster sensor reaction time.

Apart from that, system has been running solid!

Mine has been running very stable also. The only issues I currently have are

Always shows Armed Away when Armed Home
Requires a disarm or arm event to register state of alarm after restarting HASS

Some other features that would be nice would be the handling of output and output statusā€™. Plus the Power Fail and Battery Fail Alarm. The battery one is good as it indicates that the backup battery requires replacing.

Cheers

Agreed, +1 on all those suggestions.

Hi,

Did you ever get this sorted? I am having the same issue and cannot get it resolved. I am running 0.92.1

thanks

Michael

Hi Michael. So you can receive info from the panel but cant send to the panel?

I am yet to look at it again but the other issue I had was when I bought the three wire serial cable I had to swap the cables around to get it to work. I assume I have it correct now since I can receive commands but it is something I wanted to check further.

excuse my dodgy jumper wires, but the female rs-232 DB9 pins on the USR-TCP232-302 are pins 2,3 and 5 correct?

The ethernet convertor seems to be working fine, but I cant seem to get the windows based nesscomms software (v5.7.0.0) to work over a virtual com port. ā€œERROR: Product not communicatingā€

It is a brand new d8x deluxe panel. Iā€™ve got 9600,8,N,1 and then LINK and ā€˜Similar RFC2217ā€™ set on my USR-TCP232. Panel is in installer mode.

Just wanted to confirm my pinouts were ok?. Cheers

No I think you have got it back to front havent you?
Db9 Female Wiring | Wiring Diagram
https://images.app.goo.gl/uJ5WK7DpuAGivs2U8

yeah, that is what I thought. However the USR guide says the opposite. I will keep trying some different combinations and report back. What have others with the USR branded converter done to bridge the female serial ports?