Ness DX8/DX16 Alarm

I bought one of these but not from this seller and a gender changer. As I mentioned I had to pull the wires out and swap them around but still not 100% sure if I have it correct as I am only 1/2 working.

Nesscomms will not work unless you are in installer mode irrespective of cable connection

Hi.

Issue is i cannot see any of the ness components on the dashboard at all. It looks like it is definitely something with my HA config rather than hardware, as i have quickly created a new Hass.io server and added the same code (as below) which worked first goā€¦
ness_alarm:
host: 10.0.1.25
port: 2401
scan_interval:
# At least one of these must be specified:
days: 0
hours: 0
minutes: 0
seconds: 10
milliseconds: 0
zones:
- name: Laundry
id: 1
- name: Front Door
id: 2
- name: Dinning Room
id: 3
- name: Up Stairs
id: 4
I am able to receive and send info to the panel from the dashboard using the Hass.io server.
Next i need to try the same with a fresh build of Hassbian as that is what i use for my instance (i created a Hass.io instance because i wanted to see what it looked like)

I have this up and running. Have set the config in NESS - P199E (v8) and my PIRā€™s all update great.
However I cannot work out how to ARM and DISARM the unit.

The screen to arm/disarm shows the state however I can never arm or disarm using the code

Is there a trick to this?
Is there any additional config to enable this?

Thanks

Silly question did you enter your arm/disarm code? The Arm Home and Arm Away are greyed out until you enter a code.

Matt

:slight_smile: Yes i did enter the code

Thanks OzGav, you were right.

To tidy off my query, here is the working pinout for the DX8d to USR-TCP232-302

And further to this, the readily available ā€œmini gender changerā€ will not work without swapping the blue and white wire. I have used bullet connectors so it can be changed back with ease if required.

Thanks Nick for the awesome HA integration. All is working well!

Hi,

If you are still having issues with the Arm Disarm, my dashboard looks slightly different to yours, if this helpsā€¦

To add to my earlier posts, I am having A LOT of difficulty installing Hassbian from scratch so have not been able to test the Ness component in that yet. the screenshot is using a fresh install of HassOS.

Hi Aumatt,

Can I please ask, did you end up getting the status display sorted, ie where it shows Armed Away when you have armed the system in Home mode?

Thanks

No, Nik hasnt updated the component in awhile. As I run my own software also Iā€™m not too fussed but would be nice to have it show the correct state.

Hi all. Iā€™m coming to this party late (Iā€™m replacing an very old DAS alarm system with a Ness D8XD) and Iā€™d like to clear up a couple of things if somebody can help me.
My alarm system is mounted quite a distance from my RPi thatā€™s running HA. I see that there was once some attempt to use ESP8266 modules to get serial from Ness panel to HA via WiFi, but it failed for some reason.
If anybody still here was involved, why did it fail ?

I donā€™t think it failed we just didnt get it up and running before Nick came up with his solution and we just jumped onto that!

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is any way to downgrade the version of NessClient on Hassio? I would like to try version 0.9.9 but the command pip install --upgrade ā€˜nessclient[cli]==0.9.9ā€™ will not run on Hassio.

thanks

Iā€™ve just hooked my D8x up tonight with an old ESP8266 ESP01 512KB module I had lying around. Seems to work fine if youā€™re happy to connect on port 23 rather than 2401. I flashed it with esp-link firmware and it seems to be working happily so far.

Good to hear.
Iā€™ve flashed a NodeMCU with ESPlink also and wired up an RS232 to TTL module to it, but not yet fitted to the panel for a test.
Did you use a RS232 converter between the D8X board and the ESP ?
I gather the board is not TTL because it needs a proper USB-RS232 to work to a PC.

Yes, I just used a MAX3232 module (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1X-Mini-RS232-to-TTL-Converter-Module-Board-F1M5/323793053638) to do the level conversion. So far so goodā€¦

And hereā€™s the finished product (apart from adding a heatsink to the power module). A little rough, I know, but itā€™s spending the rest of its days in a dark enclosure that nobody sees. All up, about $5 in ESP, RS232, and power modules. Itā€™s worked solidly for a few days now, and despite the small antenna, reports an RSSI of -66.

The only thing to remember for anyone going down the esp-link path is that the telnet port is hard coded to port 23. Thereā€™s no native mechanism or config to set it to port 2401.

2 Likes

Hey @cryptelli, was great to chat with you last night in person. I have pushed a beta version of the nessclient dependency to pip, I canā€™t quite remember how your setup exactly worked, but is it possible for you to install a pre-release version of nessclient into your environment and give a potential fix a try?

The release attempts to resolve contention over the connection by wrapping all writes in a lock, which hopefully might solve your issue.

You can install it via pip:

pip install nessclient=0.9.16b1

Let me know how you go.

This is a feature Iā€™m looking into adding, after having a chat with @cryptelli last night about it. Iā€™ll see how I go over the coming weeks - Itā€™s on the TODO list!

1 Like

Been a long delay due to other tasks getting in the way, but have now made good progress trying out a nearly solderless DIY WiFi into HA solution.

So similar to DoubleYou Wayne above, Iā€™ve used open source ESP-Link firmware loaded on an ESP8266 board, and fed itā€™s serial into a TTL to RS232 signal converter, then into the Ness panel.

The hardware is a $5 Ebay NodeMCU plus a $2 TTL-RS232 module, plus a handful of dupont style hookup cables.

I added the Ness component to HA config (with the IP of my ESP-Link) , and setup the alarm panel and binary sensor entities in a view, and it fired up just as Waynes did.

I added a LED for WiFi connection status and a Serial activity LED in the ESP-Link web GUI as well.
I have it running via external 5V USB power on the NodeMCU right now, but will put a 5V regulator on the NESSā€™s serial connector 12V supply pin line and run it from that soon. The TTL-RS232 module uses 3.3V from the NodeMCU.

HA responds fairly fast to the binary sensor (alarm system zones), and I can set Arm Home and Alarm Away from the HA Alarm Panel view fine (like in Mikkaatā€™s panel view above).

What I canā€™t do yet is see how to disarm via HA. What did I miss ?