Nest Hello Doorbell and the 'Nest' integration

So @nmparmar I’ve worked through the badnest integration and can help you if you want to go that route.
The video from my Nest Hello is about one frame every 2-3 seconds, but they get to my screen faster than the public shared stream.
I don’t seem to get a person detection binary_sensor out of the deal so I don’t think it’s best for me at the moment.

I’ll keep it in my back pocket incase I loose my current access to the legacy Works With Nest integration + the public stream.

Glad I looked at this.

1 Like

Hi @keithcroshaw - thank you for the offer of help, I would really appreciate it if you could share the config you used. Would certainly save me some time and effort. Like you say, bit of a shame you cannot get the sensor you want, I can see how it would be a deal breaker.

Here’s hoping Google / nest offer up a new way into the Nest eco-system.

Thanks once again. :+1: :+1:

I’ll PM you.

1 Like

hey,

i just came across this post, i’m only now finding out about the end of WWN, unfortunate. Do you think you could give me some help with the config as well?

How do you use the public sharing for see the video? I still have the old work with nest.

I do as well, public sharing works regardless if you have it.

Take a look at this topic:

So I guess there is new hope…

3 Likes

Its available but i dont see anything moving in home assistant

Yep it’s in beta 0.117. Only temperature and humidity sensors though. But it’s a start that can be extended. It works!

2 Likes

Damn, i want the camera stuff :stuck_out_tongue:
But good to know, its a start

edit: i dont see it in the pages though https://rc.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/10/21/release-117/

Yeah, camera people exhaled a sigh but I’m not contributing code, so I wait. Luckily I’m extremely bogged down by work so I’m patient for once.

The day has come! I’ve got my Nest Doorbell working after some trail and error with these steps Nest - Home Assistant!

@mrpharderwijk any way to do this without opening up your Home Assistant to the Internet? In Homebridge I was just able to pull it from the local network

I think this cannot be done since Google needs access to your Home Assistance instance through https. So you will need to make your instance accessable from outside, create a dns record and attach an SSL certificate.

Is it possible to get notifications to HASS when for example someone’s pushes the doorbell?
That’s the main reason I’m considering to go from Arlo Doorbell to Nest because the ding on my Arlo Doorbell doesn’t work anymore

@remsta and @mrpharderwijk

You don’t need to open the instance to the outside, it just needs to be resolvable to a public dns name. Somewhat subtle difference there, but explained in more detail in the integration docs. I am actively working on revamping authentication so you don’t need to configure redirect URLs at all though so stay tuned.

@bslefevre yes, this is possible. the instructions have this as an example in the integration docs Nest - Home Assistant showing how to configure a notification to the home assistant app on doorbell press.

Hi @allenporter

I have been using this integration for a long while now and it works well except for one feature.

For months I’ve used device triggers to create a motion sensor, doorbell pressed, person and sound sensor.

I’ve just enabled android TV notifications which takes a snapshot and displays motion on my TV.

Although I’ve set up a motion zone in the nest app I get motion alerts for anything in view through home assistant (not through nest app - it filters this)

Is there a way of only getting motion for a set zone? My house is on a corner so two roads although they are not busy pick up cars driving by.

Picture of zone, picture of detected motion.

Hi,
Great timing! I’ve added support for this in the next version of home assistant – the beta is being cut today i believe. I have yet to really play with it and don’t have a use case for this myself so perhaps you wouldn’t mind verifying its working… I added documentation to the example in Nest - Home Assistant under “Example Device Trigger / Event payload” with the zones keyword.

If you are feeling lucky, installing the beta and testing this week before it gets fully released would be super helpful.

Also, this feature does not appear to be documented in the SDM API, so just a disclaimer.

Impeccable timing. I’d need to install HA beta or a beta version of the integration?