Nest Protect motion sensors with Starling Hub

You added it as a HomeKit controller, right? Since I wrote the original post, they have changed to occupancy sensors (house icon) rather than motion sensors, probably because they’re not as fast as motion sensors (but still fast enough). Do you see those?

nope Sensor_2 shows as gas for me. I wonder if they made changes to the newers protects?

Ask the Starling people. They’re pretty responsive. Let us know what they say.

some clarity, motion sensors aren’t provided with the battery version of protect.

2 Likes

The other great thing I discovered with using Starling Hub as an integration with Home Assistant is that call cameras will still correctly show up in HomeKit and also in HA. The Nest integration with Home Assistant was littering my device history in the Google Home app if I wanted to look at or filter event history. The Starling Hub does not.

With cameras, depending on how many zones you have set, there are a LOT of boolean sensors, all of which are just numbered. I am digging into the Starling API docs to see if there is a way to see how these are identified.

My first one, which I have just added is shown as

Why do you have other icons than I have, @pashdown. Overwritten set by you?

Good one on finding smoke & gas. I presume gas is carbon-monoxide?

The icons have changed in Home Assistant versions for whatever reasons. I’m not sure if it is HA or Starling’s definitions, but my icons are the same as yours now.

Yes. Think so.

Thanks for the answer about the icons. Will change them localy.

Did you get sensor state changes if you do the tests with button press on the protects? Here no change in the log.

So I have to test with real smoke, if something is sent to HA. And I wonder if the pre-alarm is sent as well with another state or only the real alarm after the pre-alarm/info/warning.

No change with button test. Let me know how your smoke test works out.

Tried a lot of things today. So I think now, that the pre-alarm (without beep) is never sent to Starling/HA. But every final alarm with beep has been sent to HA successfully.

Further information: The device was automatically setup with a name, which I don’t like. So I changed friendly name, but entity names as well. Everything is working nevertheless, so it seems to be connected via a guid.

Last thing: New added devices are only shown up in Starling Hub if I re-start the Starling hub. Reload of the starling setup page is not enough, whyever, because there it reconnects to google/nest as well. As soon as the starling hub is restarted, the next devices are there and then automatically synchronously in HA, with the need of restarting HA or Homekit adapter.

1 Like

Next Info: Deleted devices in Google/Nest account. Afterwards they are gone in Starling Hub as well, but remain in HA. Whyever. And I’m not able to delete them.

Opened another thread for such kind of issue. Don’t think that this is starling hub releated.

I realise this is mainly related to the Protects, but I just wanted to chime in here to say that the Starling Hub works a treat for Nest Guard! Finally, I’m able to get my Nest Guard working with HA. It was quick and painless to set up using the Homekit Controller integration. I honestly couldn’t be happier.

Just curious to confirm if connecting HA to Nest protects via just the Starling box is workable as a ‘someone is walking into the room, put lights on’ sensor. Is the latency noticeable? Do I need more (Apple) hardware?
Rocking Hasio on Pi4 with Deconz and a couple of Nest Protects Gen2 (powered) on Google account.

Super duper thanks for writing up this starting post!

Yes, it usually takes a second or two for the motion sensor to activate, but I use it on a stairwell to good effect.

I am getting exactly the same results using the Homebridge-Nest plugin on homebridge running on a raspberry Pi. It’s nice to have the protects available in HA!

The room occupancy sensor works as you’d expect, but the names of the smoke and CO detector seem confusing. They just show up as binary sensors, and even in the entity name it doesn’t say they are smoke or CO.

Is there a way to fix this in the integration so the sensor type from homekit is properly represented in HA?

Device class is set. And there you can find which is what. See above.

Hey all,

I love my Starling Hub, I set it up via directly via the Starling App + HomeKit.
Was i not supposed to do that?

I cant seem to find my starling hub whenever I am searching for a HomeKit Controller in HomeAssistsant :frowning:

I think you can only pair once at a time, either this or that.

Was anyone able to get this to work with the Nest x Yale lock? When I try to use the HomeKit integration and sync the lock, nothing actually happens.

for those using Starling to get to Nest - How do you set Nest Home/Away status?

I see it has a Home Occupied device with a button and a home occupied state; trying to set away on the thermostat when I arm my alarm. Thanks

Update: I just did a Restful switch like so:

switch:
  - platform: rest
    resource: http://Starling_IP:3080/api/connect/v1/devices/DEV_ID?key=KEY
    name: Nest Home Status
    body_on: '{"homeState": "true"}'
    body_off: '{"homeState": "false"}'
    is_on_template: "{{ value_json.properties.homeState }}"
    headers:
      Content-Type: application/json

Seems to work fine.