Network Issues - Can Reach Observer, but Not Home Assistant

Could be crappy Balena Etcher again

Very doubtful. Balena works OK if you download the binary and flash directly to the boot device. It craps out when doing a burn from URL.

I didn’t experience any noticeable anomalies while flashing the NUC’s SSD with the downloaded image through Balena Etcher. I certainly wasn’t brave enough to let BE flash from a URL.

You have done everything correctly. I have never seen an install of the X86 binary fail to get an IPV4 address.

Try rebooting the router. The router is also your DHCP server, which assigns the IPV4 addresses, so rebooting the router might resolve the problem.

On your PC, download the Advanced IP Scanner. Run the IP Scanner. When it’s finished, look for your HomeAssistant server. Here is how mine presents:

From here you can see the IPV4 address and the computer’s MAC address.

The OFFICIAL nomenclature is “Permanent Lease”, but different routers use different terminology. (I can imagine the tech support calls- “What do you mean lease? I own my router”). It refers to the lease time of the DHCP IP address assignment. As long as that lease time has not expired, when the DHCP server sees the same MAC address, it will reassign the same IP address. A permanent lease never expires, so for all practical purposes it acts like a static IP address (without the headaches). So, look through the router manual for “fixed IP, lease, or reserved”. You may find a reference to static IP, but that usually means the IP address of your router. Don’t go there.

I am not a fan of static IP addresses of my network devices. My IP scan shows that I have 142 devices on my network. Can you imagine the nightmare of documentation to keep track of this many IP assignments. That’s the beauty of DHCP. You don’t have to do anything. There’s a reason that using DHCP is the default.

Don’t worry about containers, Docker, VM or Proxmox. Since you are installing HAOS directly to the boot device, there is no need at all to add yet another layer to your installation. You only need one of those if you are doing other things on the NUC besides Home Asistant.

BTW, most browsers can’t handle IPV6 addresses, so no surprise that http://fd6e:7763:6711::862:8123 won’t work, but ping will.

What version of HAOS did you use?

See: HassOS installation/network problem on Intel NUC - #14 by karlg

Is this a recent install? Do you remember your balena etcher spyware version? :thinking:

That times are probably over :put_litter_in_its_place:

Home Assistant should really do the move (like many other FOSS projects did already) and dumb that badware etcher ones and for all (remove it from all docs and suggest to don’t use it!).

I thought this, too, but you can imagine my surprise to find that http://[fd6e:7763:6711::862]:4357]/ DOES appear to reach my Home Assistant NUC and show me a good Observer status. Replacing :4357 with :8123 gives me a connection refused (as if the port is not open) rather than a host unreachable (no device found at this IP address) error. That’s what seems incredibly strange to me.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 11.54.55 AM

I flashed my NUC’s SSD with Home Assistant OS using the haos_generic-x86-64-10.5.img.xz image as directed by the Generic x86-64 Installation Instructions.

Yes, this is a brand new install that I attempted this weekend with Belena Etcher Version 1.18.11

Spyware? I don’t know much about Etcher (I have used it with Raspberry Pi installations before, though) other than the fact that the official Home Assistant installation guide told me to use it.

I suppose I could try usbimager, but if Etcher is spyware, I’m not sure that a random recommendation over the internet for a different tool really boosts my confidence in THAT tool not being spyware.

Looks like the Home Assistant Core did not start, should have 2023.9.1 or similar if it had started. So I think that points to a bad image burned.

Beware of false, harmful software claiming to be balenaEtcher

It has come to our attention that there is a false and harmful version of our software, balenaEtcher, being promoted online. This post is an examination of the discovery, and a reminder to only download balenaEtcher from our official sources: the balena.io website, or GitHub repository.

Basically, the version at balena-etcher-io.com is spyware.

That answer might be to simple. The official etcher github is full of users complaining about ads, tracking and privacy issues in the official version :point_down:

So it might be the issue linked by @francisp (that thread also posts a solution btw.) :page_with_curl:

As both projects are open source you have everything you need evaluate it. The simple fact that etcher shows ads that can’t be disabled and has a option to restrict tracking (which conveniently can only disabled after data leakage) might be some clue already. Missing ads and missing settings for tracking in usbimager on the other hand is something to investigate further. :male_detective:

I have been using Etcher for a few years and I have never seen an ad. I downloaded my copy directly from Etcher.

probably you run a stone old version then (which also doesn’t suffer failed flashes and maybe messes with DNS).

People already asked over four years ago for an option to remove/hide the ads in balena etcher :point_down:

“Over four years ago”…

Windows 98 had “phone home” spyware, does that make every version of Windows spyware?

I am using Balena Etcher 1.18.11 downloaded from etcher.balena.io. If there is a newer version then it was released in the past ten hours. Last night I flashed the X-86 binary of Home Assistant to a USB drive. The ONLY ads presented during the flash operation was for Etcherpro.

Please stop spamming us with old conspiracy theories.

…wait for it…

Now you have seen one :raised_hands:

Wasn’t Windows 98 one of the last few OSes without telemetry actually? Maybe you are confused with Windows 10/11 which only allows turning off most of the “home calls” in the enterprise edition :point_down:

Microsoft themselves recently demonstrated why it is a bad idea in the very beginning to trust this entity :wink:

A quick (and simplified) summary of the report:
Microsoft found:

• Iinadequate controls around sensitive information and processes involved in handling sensitive information.
  • Inadequate detection controls for account compromise for developer accounts.
  • Poor documentation and library configuration allowed an insecure configuration to be pushed to production (Exchange Online).

Microsoft Finally Reveals how they Believe a Consumer Signing Key was Stollen

Your phone OS most likely also has a “phone home” function - all for your best and protection obviously :warning:

Abstract— […] We find that even when minimally configured and the handset is idle both iOS and Google Android share data with Apple/Google on average every 4.5 mins. The phone
IMEI, hardware serial number, SIM serial number and IMSI, handset phone number etc are shared with Apple and Google. Both iOS and Google Android transmit telemetry, despite the user explicitly opting out of this. When a SIM is inserted both iOS and Google Android send details to Apple/Google. iOS sends the MAC addresses of nearby devices, e.g. other handsets and the home gateway, to Apple together with their GPS location. […]

Mobile Handset Privacy: Measuring The Data iOS and Android Send to Apple And Google

Wow. Imagine the audacity of Balena who makes Etcher for free to advertise their professional version while you are using their free software. Who would ever tolerate that? Certainly not Home Assistant with the subtle links to Nabu Casa.

All that discussion whether Balena Etcher is spyware or not does not help with OP’s problem.

1 Like

Well, I finally got around to trying to re-image the NUC. I used usbimager this time and got the same exact results (can reach the NUC at http://homeassistant.local:4357/ but not at http://homeassistant.local:8123/). I think we can put the topic of Balena Etcher vs. usbimager to bed for now and perhaps try to understand why, as @lordwizzard said:

Any suggestions?