New Aqara Human Presence Sensor FP1

Nothing at all, apart from messages from existing devices.
Not even with debug mode on.

EDIT: can’t test the devices on their own as I haven’t got a hub, of course. Also ZHA doesn’t see them.

Unless you have a second zigbee coordinator, you wont see anything in ZHA
I should have a couple of these any day now. I have the sonoff dongle also, running ZHA. ill report back.

I did uninstall Z2M and enabled ZHA again prior to trying to add the sensors to ZHA, otherwise Z2M wouldn’t have started. I’m going to have to get an Aqara hub, I think, to rule out the sensors somehow being defective or needing updating first. If they are ok it’ll be the dongle. I might even downgrade to the previous firmware to see if that makes a difference although I expect someone would already have noticed that anyway. :slight_smile:

Solved: I tried channel 15 after channel 11, but that also didn’t work. Channel 25 did the trick. :man_shrugging:

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Couple of days ago I got this sensor, but I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed. I’ve watched the video from Everything Smart Home and he shows his history throughout the night without any single false trigger. Only this is my recent night:

Shows quite a lot of false ‘Away’ triggers while I stayed in bed for the entire night. And honestly it’s also positioned directly at the bed at a 1,5m distance so I don’t think that that should be a problem.

This also happend when I tried it in the living room, while staying still on the couch it would sometimes trigger a false ‘Away’ state.

I connected the sensor to Z2M within Home Assistant, nothing weird.

I was really hoping that in general the sensor would be more precise. Might even be that I have a faulty one? However it still works only isn’t as precise as I had hoped / expected.

Anyone having any similar findings?

Out of topic, I know, is it orderable yet ? I can’t see it on Ali Express.

Thanks

Johan

Yes, it is. Although it’s hard to find one being in-stock. I’ve manage to get one when it was available but now it’s gone from that specific listing. I guess you should check periodically aliexpress.

Maybe some different settings for sensitivity and such? Or maybe you don’t breathe enough? :wink:

I have not seen the false Away state in my testing. But im using the sensor in my office. I noticed that your approach distance is set to far. On my end the default setting was medium. Perhaps try to play with that setting? Or the sensitivity setting?

I did however have the issue that the sensor is so sensitive, it also picks up small gusts of wind affecting my clothing hanging to dry inside when I have my window open. But I have to play with sensitivity still.

Good point, I can try out medium or low as well. As for the sensitivity, it’s already set to high.

What platform do you use for the connection? Z2M, ZHA or Deconz? And are you also using a conbee stick II?

I’m using Zigbee2MQTT and a LAUNCHXL-CC1352P-2 adapter.

I did however have the issue that the sensor is so sensitive, it also picks up small gusts of wind affecting my clothing hanging to dry inside when I have my window open.

Shouldn’t that be mitigated in this device because it should be able to detect human presence? I mean, that is the reason for slower detection (at least one of).

I’m not sure exactly how the device works, but I observed this weird behavior only once, other times it’s been quite accurate. But I have not changed the default settings at all yet. Take what I said with a grain of salt :wink:

Got 2 of these yesterday. They were a little finnicky to get paired but the bedroom one detected us all night without any errors.

Do you guys known if this sensor is safe for humans? I mean, the description is very obscure… It doesn’t say exactly what wavelength is being used. How deep does the waves penetrate in our skin? Can it reach the brain? Can it be dangerous? Why is not available outside China? Is it approved by legislations in developed countries? I may be being overcautious, but I think I will research it a little more before buying…

4 Likes

You can calculate the wavelengths from the frequency range. While it falls within the so-called microwave spectrum, keep in mind this doesn’t have nearly (not even remotely closely) the power of a standard kitchen microwave oven (which operates at 2.4GHz, which, mind you, is the same as your standard WiFi frequency and the reason a microwave can cause interference of your WiFi signal, because there are small amounts of leakage). In fact, these sensors, especially the higher frequency ones, are near the far infrared red range, which is below visible light. Ionising radiation (the dangerous ones based on only their characteristics and not only intensity) are many, many orders of magnitude higher. Mind you, even sunlight with too high intensity will kill you. You are already surrounded with all kinds of radiowaves and the kind of power that this kind of sensor pulls and the frequency range it uses is nowhere near dangerous.

TL;DR: No, it’s not dangerous.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer Pieter. As something new, I always feel like researching it a bit before installing something that will emite microwaves (even with low energy) in my bedroom, and which will be irradiating me all night long. Papers like this one: Millimeter (MM) wave and microwave frequency radiation produce deeply penetrating effects: the biology and the physics - PubMed makes me a little concerned. As you have pointed, ionizing radiation is a problem because it can damage DNA, and lead to cancer. However, non-ionizing radiation can still affect cells, by open Ca++ channels ou modulating mitochondria polarization, for instances. If you do a pubmed search, you will find several papers showing all sort of biological effects on cell cultures (normal and tumoral) of mmWave… Some proposing that it may increase Alzheimers disease (Low Intensity Electromagnetic Fields Act via Voltage-Gated Calcium Channel (VGCC) Activation to Cause Very Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease: 18 Distinct Types of Evidence - PubMed). A lot of the interpretation of what these results mean is still very (VERY) speculative… Perhaps because it is something new in some sense. But again, you are probably right and I am just overcautious.

2 Likes

I hear you. I’ve learned that even if one makes the effort to read direct research, it can be very hard to judge the results or validate the analyses and methods used, unless one is an expert in the particular field. This is just my view and it doesn’t mean one shouldn’t try.

Sticking to what I know better: Let’s say you control this sensor with an ESP and the whole system uses 1W continuously, and let’s also assume all of that power is radiated: You’d have to apply the square law of radiation and take into account the surface area radiated. Without doing any hard calculations, it seems like the amount reaching you would be very, very low.

1 Like

I agree with you that dosage and exposure time matters. I guess the question is how low is too low so it doesn’t cause problems in terms of biology? The only way to determine that is experimentally exposing cells and organisms to various amount of it and measuring consequences. Perhaps looking into those papers we can have an idea how far this device is from the tested limits. Maybe, as you said, it is very low, well under the limit. That’s why I was asking if the device is certified in a developed country, where rules are more rigid. But I don’t want to cause any panic … I am just overcautious with this things. I understand that people have different degrees of concerns. So far, based on brief search that I did, and based on my current knowledge, what I can tell is:

• a) Is there conclusive evidence that mmWave causes problems for human healthy? No, until the moment there is no solid conclusion.
  • b) Is there conclusive evidence that it doesn’t cause human healthy problems? No, there isn’t. There is not enough data for this conclusion either.
  • c) Is mmWave completely inert to humans? There is some data that suggests that it is not completely inert. It does things to cells and organisms. Whether this is bad or not remains an open question for the moment.

Thank you for the points that you made. I may consider buying one after a little more research . I just won’t put it in my bedroom (:

1 Like

You can order a 15 day delivery item here atm:

If you order minimum 4 pcs you got a great discount on checkout.

Perhaps you need to follow the store…

1 Like