New guy here with 25ish device HA install with hardware reviews... UPDATED after being in use for over 2 years and now 70ish devices

Regarding the haaska and emulated hue:

I found the only thing you cannot do well with emulated hue is controlling the temperature, i.e. increase/decrease the value by some values.
One workaround which allows you to set a certain value I posted here:

Since it’s actually also not yet supported by haaska, I submitted an initial pull request to support the climate component in Alexa properly, it’s working, but needs some rework for better coding style:

1 Like

I had the same issue, I ended up figuring it was down to the fact that the RPI 3 only has a 100M Ethernet NIC on it (an issue as my internet speed is faster than 100Mbs). Ended up disabling it and using just the Ping. Then realised that it runs the download/upload speeds even if you don’t have them configured so disabled it entirely.

@daenny, thanks for the info. This looks like something I’ll be implementing shortly. Tonight’s project is to setup my new QNAP with lots of apps, automatic backups, etc… and maybe a dimmer switch

Thanks for the reviews! I just got my HS-WD100+ today and was trying to get double and triple tap working. Is this not possible with HASS currently? I wonder how hard it would be to write it in…

Good info here, thanks for sharing.

Question for you: Did you have any trouble getting load 2 to work in your setup? The device shows up, however Home Assistant shows load 2 as on and when i try to toggle it just returns to the on position and the outlet doesn’t come on.

Load 1 works fine, toggles every time…

Edit: This question is concerning the Enerwave ZWN-RSM2 module

There is something to do with CentralScene Command Class. Above my head for as much as I’ve looked into it.
Here is one article I’ve come across on the matter: improve support for CentralScene Command Class by tobiasgraf · Pull Request #993 · OpenZWave/open-zwave · GitHub

My Groups.yaml for these looks like:
Outdoor front:

• switch.front_lights_relay_switch_8_0
  • switch.front_lights_relay_switch_8_0_3

Outdoor rear:

• switch.deck_lights_relay_switch_9_0
  • switch.deck_lights_relay_switch_9_0_3

Customize.yaml:
switch.deck_lights_relay_switch_9_0:
icon: mdi:lightbulb
friendly_name: Back Door Light
switch.deck_lights_relay_switch_9_0_2:
friendly_name: Back Door Light Duplicate
switch.deck_lights_relay_switch_9_0_3:
friendly_name: Deck Spotlight
switch.front_lights_relay_switch_8_0:
friendly_name: Front Door
switch.front_lights_relay_switch_8_0_2:
friendly_name: Front Door Duplicate
switch.front_lights_relay_switch_8_0_3:

I don’t use the 2nd load (as it shows in OZWCP, and only use 1 and 3) on either as it appears to be a duplicate of the primary (labeled as such in customize.yaml). I haven’t really had much troubles after the initial setup with the light responding to commands. I’m still in the midst of lots of setup, so I’m restarting Home Assistant regularly, and mostly use these relays/switches just on automation for outdoor lighting. I did experience more troubles at the start, but I think I was using load 2 initially.

Hope that helps.

Updated with initial impressions of the ecobee3 Smarter WiFi Thermostat

Thanks for that info. I checked it again and it looks like “device 0” is indeed load 2 (I hear it click when I toggle it). Still not working though, so I guess I’ll go back through it tomorrow if I get a chance and look for loose connections, throw a voltmeter on it, etc…

Thanks again!

@tkvtec Thank you for all the information you posted. I’m not sure how I missed this post, but am glad I found it now. Particularly because I am getting ready to install Amcrest cameras and am in the process of buying the network gear for PoE

I also have the First Alert ZCOMBO and am glad they work, though I wish they showed up in HA a bit better so one could tell what alarm was active (CO or Smoke), but at least I know they are active when they are, so I’m okay with it as it is for now.

I also have a Trane ZWave (older one at that) Thermostat that is just not working in HA as I had hoped and have eyed the Ecobee so I am kind of interested in your set up there and impressions and how well it works from HA to Ecobee and then does HA update from the Ecobee.

I have also been looking at the Ubiquiti Unifi Pros (Since I am adding switch capacity to my network for the PoE) but have also looked at Cisco Aironet as well. I just have a pet peeve about having to go to the cloud to configure an AP in my home, which apparently is what has to be done on some Cisco AP’s.

Anyway, just some thoughts, and thanks again for posting all that you did.

@StormStrikes No problem, just trying to help contribute something to the community that gave me much of the info I needed to get as far as I have with my setup.
An idea for the ZCOMBO, you could maybe setup Input Boolean’s that change based on the status of the ZCOMBO. Setup an Input Boolean for Smoke, one for CO, and one for Test… possibly even one for All Clear? You could then display those in your views for an easier way to identify the status.

The ecobee and HA seem to communicate much better with each other than the ZWave CT30 thermostats I have. Much more reliable. The CT30 shows up as a separate AC and Heat thermostat, the Ecobee shows up as a single thermostat with a range for acceptable temp. You can slide either the low or high independently. Again, limited testing so far, so I can update in about a week with further testing, but so far so good. Exactly what I was expecting for functionality even initially with the other thermostats, which just never delivered. So far, the Ecobee has already paid for itself in the absence of my aggravation and ease of use. I really wish I just spent the money earlier on and saved myself the month of troubleshooting.

The Unifi will need a controller, which I have an ESXi VM for, but can be built in a container in a Docker environment on a Pi or NAS or other simple device… or you could just spend the $100 on the Unifi Cloud Key. Honestly though, if you’ve gotten HA up and running the Unifi Controller setup should be no problem. Of course, you could always use the Windows based controller which is super simple to deploy. I always seem to forget about the Windows one though since I just have laptops that travel with me, and I use to manage other Unifi environments for clients, so I always use an ESXi VM. I’m looking to build one in Docker though.

Updated original post with new reviews of the Schlage Connect lock system and Ring Pro camera doorbell

@tkvtec this is good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Yes it is, but I am puzzled about the Schlage Connect. Everything I find about it seems to indicate it works via an iPhone. eg https://db1736767dbd5e7094bb-d61bbc5d0b342a54145a236e2d5d1ebf.ssl.cf4.rackcdn.com/Product/4ea15eef-1fa9-4771-9d25-72716ad5d5f2.pdf

@tkvtec seems to be saying it works via Z Wave.

Are there different models? Or am I missing something.

Thanks for any insights.

@nickrout there are different models. The Connect is Z-Wave the Schlage Sense is for iPhone (Apple Homekit)

I just setup a Schlage Sense into my HA and it works to lock and unlock from HA. I used Homekit automation to get the Schlage Sense lock to follow a switch put on homekit by homebridge from HA. The reverse is done so HA know the status of Schlage Sense. I figure I can do the same to get iphone location in HA.

Curious, how long does it take to send each number? When I was using harmony on my firetv it took about 1 full second between sending commands like that. Now I use GitHub - happyleavesaoc/python-firetv to control the firetv over adb, but im curious if the long delay was just unique to the firetv or not?

By the way to anyone reading definately look into that github I linked if you have a fire tv. You can open apps directly with simple http get commands and other stuff like that, its nice!

I used to get low Speedtest figures, when I went to a pi3 the issues went away.

@tkvtec

Is your RSM2 updating the status to HASS UI when you turn the load on of off manually ? (I am assuming you have connected manual wall switches as well to you RSM2 relays).

I have lot of this relays as well but there status is not getting updated automatically when I turn the load on/off manually.

@kvjajoo
Yes the status does get updated in HASS UI. Make sure you have something like below in your zwave configuration.
I find that it works best when adding the refresh_value to the customize section of the zwave configuration in the configuration.yaml (separate from the HASS customize).

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/usbzwave
  polling_interval: 60000
  autoheal: False
  customize:
    light.sink_side_dimmer_level_2_0:
      refresh_value: true
    light.kitchen_table_dimmer_level_24_0:
    group.outdoor_all:
    group.living_room: