[Deprecated] Interactive history explorer custom card

No no no! Please no.

Ignore those and still be here for HA and you - and of course us. :wink: Please.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info - and I should have checked this on my own obviously.

Hey Alex, thanks for your Update and letting us know! Too bad its really bad news :frowning:
If this is the only Way for you to turn Things into good, or better said avoid frustrating Moments, i can totally understand this.
I don’t know about recent Situations, but i think i read of such Arguments in the Past. I don’t want to judge anybody. Wondering if there isnt (for both of you) a Way to just ignore each other.
But on the other hand, we all know how such Arguments can develop. I think it is a really good decision not to react instantly, but to give Thoughts Time to develop.

I think i can speak for a Lot of People, who consider your Project to play a huge Role in their Setup and see it as an Essential Extension. Personally, it would be big loss for me if you give up. There are not so many Projects, who maybe not too fast, but continiously develop, and have constantly friendly support and Feedback.

So - i hope you can think of a Way to reduce/avoid bad (at least for you) Situations/Persons, while keeping your awesome Project alive. However you gonna decide - thank you for this incredible great Piece of Code!

4 Likes

I really sympathise with you.
I too have had a bad experience with a certain mod - I would have hoped that the title (“moderator”) is self defining, but obviously not.

I really hope you can put this to one side. I use your work throughout my HA implementation and it is great. I couldn’t use HA like I do without your card!

I’ll stay out of both of your way if you promise to:

1. Do not amass a group of people to harass a volunteer developer because you simply didn’t like a change they made.
  2. Do not resort to private harassments.

Lets return to on-topic discussions please and as a reminder, please check out all the code of conduct rules in place. Also understand that I will involve a 3rd party moderator if you have an issue with me.

EoL (end of life) notice for the history explorer card

As much as I regret it, I will stop the development, maintenance and support for the history explorer card. I will also not be active in this community anymore.

I had a lot of fun developing this card and getting your guys feedback on it, exchanging ideas with the community to make it a better piece of software that would (hopefully) enhance everyones experience with HA. As most developers contributing to the HA project, I did this on my free time. Working as a software engineer in my daytime job, I generally avoid spending too much time in front of my computer after work and rather do other non-techy things. But I really enjoyed creating this card and some other random HA related side projects. Sadly, this has changed over the last few months.

Spending the (little) free time I have on a project where I am being constantly harassed by an individual who seems unable to handle the little bit of power that has been given to him, is not what I’d consider a fun experience. Another, but related part of the equation is that I’m disillusioned by the path Home Assistant has taken. The progressive erosion of advanced features in favor of mass market acceptance, the never ending breaking changes and the fine-combing through release notes, the time investment needed to maintain a functioning install over the long term. This thread here sums it up really well: Is Home Assistant shifting towards a different audience?

Like many others I have voiced my opinions on this matter here on the forums, in the hope of having the core devs reconsider and find a way to please both beginner and advanced users (because yes, that’s possible !). Sadly I realized that this will never happen and that dissenting voices are very often met with dismissal, ridicule and even open hostility by certain individuals. A common problem with open source projects, you may say. Maybe so, but having been involved in other FOSS projects before, I never experienced it quite as extreme as with HA. Maybe I just got lucky.

So after thinking this over and weighting the pros and cons, I came to the conclusion that Home Assistant is not the right tool for me anymore. I will replace it with a custom, specialized system based on my current MQTT backend.

I’m really sorry about how this is going to affect users of this card and I would like to apologize to you guys. I know that a lot of people rely on this card for their dashboards or workflows. You guys warm words mean a lot to me and I feel bad dropping this project. Rest assured that this wasn’t an easy decision to make. But given the circumstances, I feel this is the only way forward for me.

What happens to the card now

The card will keep working for you, as of now, it won’t just stop running. But it is very likely that in the future there will be breaking changes in the HA websocket, database or frontend APIs that will break it. There will also not be any new versions with new features released anymore. For the longer term future I would therefore advise users of the history explorer card to start looking for alternatives. Apex Chart card and Plotly interactive card may be possible candidates. Maybe the HA core devs will eventually improve the native history panel and turn it into something similar to this card.

Been a pleasure guys,
Alex

18 Likes

So sad to hear this. I truly hope the best for you. This card is so handy.

Hopefully we can find someone to maintain this before HA can improve their card to provide better explorability.

This is now at least the third big contributor in a more than short timeframe, who left this community. Some of them left their contributions and developments and great work as well. And all because of mostly the same reasons: problems with single mods and feedback on HA direction.

So I wonder and feel that something is currently running more than in the wrong direction.

4 Likes

Dude, thats such both sad and happy News. Sad, because (in Mid-Term) HomeAssistant looses one of its most awesome Cards, offering Features the Core System should have had for a long Time.
Happy, as i hope you will get rid of the Anger and bad Mood recently developed. Most important is your personal wellbeing, which obviously for you got harder to have.
I can understand that (from your perspective) constantly wrong Directions, and not beeing heard, or even worse, harshly ignored, lead to Frustration. Even in Daytime Jobs, this Kind of demotivation is something nobody wants.
I refrain from writing more here, as this Thread is about an awesome Card.

I really thank you for all your Time, and giving this great Project to the Community! All the best for the Future - and if whenever you think you might hop back on the Train, rest assured the Welcome-Cake is RC :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@HeyImAlex - Thank you for all that you’ve done with the History Explorer Card. It shows that there is a lot of untapped potential in the platform for advanced users who are really interested in meaningful use of their data.

Also I greatly appreciate that you used a permissive license should anyone come along and step up to make any changes going forward.

4 Likes

Can some one help me out with this? I’ve asked a while ago but heard nothing back.
I can’t figure out why same entity works with line type, but doesn’t with bar type

As this is gas usage it makes way more sense to be bars. Thank you in advance!

Compare the entity parameters of the entity which is working for you with those, which are not working. Do it in dev tools.

I’d just like to clear the air here. Alex is trying to paint the picture like I’m singling him out when I am not. Historically, Alex and I have not gotten along. We do not align on any views regarding… software in general. This of course causes problems because I am a moderator, he is not. I generally try not reply to any of his posts because of our historical disagreements.

Our last interaction, I proposed a question to a few users involving a problem which Alex was not involved in. Alex replied to my question, and I responded with a snippy remark. This lead to an additional 6 inappropriate back and forth messages between Alex and I. During these messages back and forth, both Alex and myself were not only off topic, but mean spirited. I shouldn’t have done that, neither should he have. So, I removed the 6 posts.

Alex took the removal of these messages as “You’re abusing your moderator powers to hide your own technical incompetence.”. I admit, the solution he offered was something I have never used. I even went back and edited my snarky remark, claiming his proposal was a good path forward. Somewhere in the middle of this, Alex took it upon himself to let me know his feelings through a direct message. This message was one of the worse personal message I’ve ever received from an individual on these forums. In the moment, I responded with an equally inappropriate message.

I then took this message to other moderators simply because Alex and I do not get along. Unfortunately, a knee jerk suspension was performed by a 3rd party moderator. Alex was suspended for roughly 10 minutes before I removed the suspension and got different moderator involved. I chose a moderator who I thought would be more impartial to the situation. At that point, the matter was resolved. Alex received a warning about the personal message.

This interaction could have been handled better by myself and by the moderator who hastily suspended Alex. I can’t speak for the other moderators actions, but for my actions, I apologize. As for Alex’s decision to leave, that is his own decision. I do feel that he is being harsh and not taking responsibility for his own actions and laying the blame solely on me. I do not think that is a fair assessment.

Anyways, I wish Alex the best of luck on his future smart home endevours.

If you have any questions about the situation, please contact @TheFes, the impartial moderator that was involved in the situation.

5 Likes

Hi Alex

Thanks for you efforts creating this really nice card. It provides a great chart of what I’m missing in the official history card.
Although deprecation of this card is a pity, your bad experiences are energy draining and a good reason to stop.
I also share your frustrations on the high maintenance aspect of HA. Repairs are indeed a monthly burden. Where the migration from configurations in yaml to the UI would be fine if all options where included. But that is not always the case.
I wish you the best in life and programming your home.

Eric

2 Likes

Hi Alex,

I cannot find somethingh for horizontal bars for different (Energy) Sensors.
On each day I check several sets of sensors but I cannot see the values from the day before or 2 days before or 1 week before…
I need this for 16 or 32 or 48 Sensors or for the whole page… please see the picture:

Is there a possibility to solve this? Maybe similar to this:
Energy Sensors Date

Ronald

Not possible/not in scope with this card.

Hi Alex,

this is really sad, as your work and support are stellar. You gave me some very competent and helpful help/advice. The quality of your work speaks for itself, sure hope this project lives on. This is so much better than what HA has to offer.

All the best for you in the future, maybe this can be resolved somehow to your satisfaction. I believe you leaving, is a huge loss to this community.

All the best from Germany,

Robert

2 Likes

Hy Community,
Is it possible to combine 2 different units in only one graph (line).

type: custom:history-explorer-card
cardName: historycard-14420595
defaultTimeRange: 5d
combineSameUnits: true
uiLayout:
  toolbar: show
  selector: hide
header: []
entityOptions:
  sensor.epex_spot_price_ct_per_kwh:
    color: blue
  sensor.energiegesamtverbrauch_aktuell:
    color: green

Sorry, if I missed a comment.

Thanks

Hello Maijo. You should read the first post. I don’t think this is the place where you can get help.

Hey Alex. I’m a heavy user of the card, and am sorry to see you go. Thanks for all the work done. I’ll keep using your card for as long as it works

Thanks Petro for the clarifications. Takes some guts to recognize that you’ve been acting less than optimal.

I was not aware of this feud, since I don’t follow forums. Typically because of this kind of flame wars that always seem to happen some times, and where people leave because they just don’t feel at home anymore (and probably never will again). (Side-story: I have two friends that won’t talk to one another anymore, and hate each other’s guts. Before that, they shared a common passion for 10 years, and talked and joked in-person at the forum get-together each year. All this because they started talking politics over a forum :confused: And I’m not talking teenagers, they’re both in their fifties)

Alex, I wish you good luck in your future endeavors, and thanks a million again for this very useful card.

Hi all,

I was wondering of there is enough enthusiasm to revive this great card. There are places like this one GitHub - rejuvenate/rejuvenate: Dead Repositories Revived by the Community, where abounded projects are given a second life.

I’m not knowledgable to code myself, but willing to moderate and help testing. Bottom line reviving needs enough members motivated to contribute to the card.

So if you would like to contribute, let me know. This great card deserves a chance :grinning:

2 Likes