New pi 3b+ supported?

Just use Hassbian, it works perfectly on the latest Pi.

Looks like next version of Hassio wil use buildroot and not ResinOS? :slight_smile:

I hope that also = better hardware support for Intel Nuc and other more powerful devices like the new Asus Tinker Board S. Raspberry Pi3 and B+ is a bit slow for my usage.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

Iā€™m new to HA, Anyone knows when the hass.io will be available for the pi 3 B+? I ordered one and it should be here in less than a weekā€¦ and I want to start working on few ideasā€¦
I saw the hass.io doesnā€™t work with it right nowā€¦

so does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

I havenā€™t got it working either. Also the site still has a warning on the download page saying itā€™s unsupported. The only workaround now is to use another OS and install hass through the regular install or docker.

yeah I figured.

but if itā€™s a week away I can waitā€¦ if itā€™s a month away Iā€™ll think about itā€¦ but there is no release date, that is why I asked if someone knows approximately it will be availableā€¦

It might be longer than that, but you can just download hassbian on the the 3b+ i currently have it working perfectly. you loose a couple of the specific HASSIO features but its an easy job to migrate once HASSIO is available.

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/hassbian/installation/

Dale and I tested running Hass.io on my 3B+ and it works great with this alternative installation using a virtual server. Rasbian Stretch Lite + Docker

He created this afterwards for anyone who wants to try it out: https://github.com/dale3h/hassio-installer/

Good luck!

1 Like

it would still be great if we actually got an official reply when we are getting hass.io for the 3B+ā€¦

in the mean time I am using the above solution but Iā€™d prefer to work with the official image.

I have been waiting as well. I gave my 3 B to a friend when my 3 B+ came in.
Yesterday I installed this version and it works great.
If you want to see the official page. Go here https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/04/22/hassio-2018/
scroll to the bottom, you will see a new HASSIO-OS is coming.

Yeah I saw that it is comingā€¦
I understand that itā€™s a big update/upgrade and all thatā€¦ and I know how much work the devs have to do and all that. I say no rush! but just give us a dateā€¦ you can even move the dateā€¦ but give us something to look up for. :slight_smile:

so if anyone knows anything about this date please let me know.
Thank you for all the great work youā€™re doing!

Hi Ice

I have tried Rasbian Stretch Lite + docker on my raspberry pi 3b+ using dale script to install hassio and it work fine. However after few reboots using hassio to control the reboot I get a ā€œunable to mount root fs on unknown-blockā€ message. I flashed the card and repeated the install and got everything back up and working only to get the exact same message a few days later!

Have come across this and if so do you know of a solution to either get the pi back up and running again or a safe process on how to reboot raspbian (I guessing not allowing hassio to control the power cycle).

If your using HASS.IO use the Snap Shot function located in the HASS menu

That sounds more like a problem with either the quality of the SD card or the power supply is weak.

Hi dap35

this is the power supply Iā€™m using
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078S69FC1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

and this is the sd card Iā€™m using is Kingston 32gb

I followed the step found here

if your error message ends with 2, like this:
Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(179,2)
it is likely that the problem is caused by an update bug. The fix involves switching that 2 into a 6:
Start the Raspberry holding the Shift key.
Click the Edit config (e) button or press e.
Click the cmdline.txt tab or press the right arrow on the keyboard.
Replace:
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
with root=/dev/mmcblk0p6
Click OK and then press escape on the keyboard to proceed with the boot sequence.
Your Pi should now boot fine. If the same error shows but with 6 proceed with the above steps.

Now when I boot the pi I get stuck on the message ā€œrandom crng init doneā€

if I pess enter on the keyboard it respond by inputting the @CR but not going to a command prompt?

It looks like the recent HASS.io 0.68.1 upgrade has updated the underlying Resin OS from v1.3 to v2.3 (which I think supports the 3B+)

Can anyone confirm it now works on a 3B+ ?

I canā€™t see a link about the 3b+ and the resin changes - have you got a link? Last thing I read was that hassio is changing to buildroot away from using resin. Like everyone else here - I have a 3b+ and am just waiting for the 3b+ support so I can move my config over.

According to resinos.io they are only to resinOS 2.12.6+rev1 & only support up to pi 3 not sure what the V2.3 in HASS is

About 1/4 down the page you see this:

All these factors made us decide to build our own, custom, operating system. Weā€™re obviously not starting from scratch, but instead, are basing it off Buildroot as the foundation and use RAUC for over the air updates.

Is it possible to developer add a note ā€œdoes not work on PI3+ā€ this information on page below.

(https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/)

I spent two days trying to install on my PI3+ until I find this information here.

TIA

VIER