NEW Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Dammit, so I spend a while installing Home Assistant (manual way) then realise I don’t get plugins (I wanted to play with Node-Red)… ok So hass.io it is then… Oh… No support for the Pi B+ (which is the one I’ve brought a week ago).

Guess that I’ll have to wait then… is it ready yet?! (not that I’m impatient or anything!)

You don’t need add-ons/plugins for that. Just install node-red alongside HASS.

1 Like

@MrBriz Just use Hassbian, super quick and easy to setup, I’ve got it on my 3B+

1 Like

Same thing here. I have HA 0.68.1 (hassbian image) loaded onto a RP Pi 3 B+ and it stops responding after a day or less. I can cycle power on the RP and it comes back up again.

This same setup (hassbian image) is also working fine for me, really quick and no stops for several days now. I’m happy, it was really easy to install.
Maybe some of the new Pi 3B+ with problems are defective and should be returned?? Another very good idea is to use ONLY a good power supply of at least 2.4A.

2.5amp actually and I recommend 3amp or better.

no news yet for haasio on model b+?
I am thinking to go from hassbian to hassio. Should I wait to do it on b+?
what do you think?

@acme - Did you see the blog post about Hass.io?

To be honest I haven’t but now I did! :slight_smile:

But again. In the post I didn’t find something about b+. Is there something in comments?
Thank you!

The new OS will support the 3B+. Until then you need to use the work-around.

2 Likes

Why 3 amp? 2.5 seems to work fine for me and is more commonly available I believe

Why go for the minimum requirement? Depending on what you plug in you could need a bit more and who’s to say a 2.5amp supply actually delivers 2.5? A bit of head room. 3amp is also readily available.

One of my 3B+ would show the power symbol using a 2.5A with nothing on it. I’m using 3A now.

(CORRECTION ON THE POST BELLOW)

2 Likes

How much better is the performance of the 3 and 3B+ compared to the original model B? My reboots are killing me and looking to upgrade

I have been using this for a week. Working great!

There’s no comparison with the 1B and the 3B. The 3B actually works!

About the need for a more “powerful” PSU for the 3B+. I still believe that is good to have some headroom. However, there are limitations, I could not find exact numbers, but the 3B+ seems to draw 170 mA more than the 3B (How Much Power Does Raspberry Pi 3B+ Use? Power Measurements – RasPi.TV).

From Raspberrypi.org:

Typically, the model B uses between 700-1000mA depending on what peripherals are connected…The maximum power the Raspberry Pi can use is 1 Amp. If you need to connect a USB device that will take the power requirements above 1 Amp, then you must connect it to an externally-powered USB hub.

The GPIO pins can draw 50mA safely, distributed across all the pins; an individual GPIO pin can only safely draw 16mA. The HDMI port uses 50mA, the camera module requires 250mA, and keyboards and mice can take as little as 100mA or over 1000mA!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/power/README.md

About the lighting bolt showing up on my screen, it’s actually related to running an incompatible version of the operating system (it says on the box). Strangely I had downloaded the latest version, I will try with a new one that I got and let you guys know :slight_smile:

Without using the workaround here; https://github.com/dale3h/hassio-installer/
What are the timescales for the rpi 3b+ to be supported for hassio?
I would have thought it would be relatively trivial for the team to continue to use Resinio on the rpi3b+ until everything can be re-developed using the new host OS?

If it was ‘relatively trivial’ I would have thought it would have been done already!

Ok, so for a fresh start would you go for RPi 3B and Hass.io or RPi 3B+ and Hassbian? I recently repurposed 3B I’ve been using for some fun stuff and I wonder if I should replace it with the same model or new one if I am thinking about HA.