Nodon Octan Remote (How to)

I struggled a little getting this remote to work, but the key is to switch one of the parameters to get it working. Here we go:

Using Open Z-Wave Control Panel

• Add a device
  • On the remote hold O and - until it blinks pink
  • Press O again

That should get it listed in your devices. Next

• Select the device in the list
  • Click Configuration
  • Change the mode to Scene Activation (from Central Scene)

Save your changes.

Start up HA and watch the logs. Press one of the buttons, in the log you’re looking for something like nodon_crc3100_octan_remote_22 but the number will probably be different. Once you have that number, you can set up an automation like below. Note the scene_id from the logs, that is what the button sends to HA and you use below.

- alias: Office switch button 1 pressed
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: zwave.scene_activated
    event_data:
      entity_id: nodon_crc3100_octan_remote_22
      scene_id: 10
  action:
    service: light.toggle
    entity_id: light.office

I hope that helps.

9 Likes

this method works for the Nodon Soft Remote too :relaxed:

Hello all HA-gurus in here.

I have read and followed all instructions, but I just cannot get the Nodon wall switch to work with Home Assistant all the way…

Here are my logs:

2017-10-26 18:59:01.815 Info, Node014, Received Central Scene set from node 14: scene id=1 in 0 seconds. Sending event notification.
2017-10-26 18:59:01.815 Warning, Node014, No ValueID created for Scene 1

And here’s my automation:

# Testing button 1
  - alias: Button 1 Pressed once
    trigger:
      event_data:
        entity_id: zwave.my_switch
        scene_id: 1
    action:
      - service: notify.ilias_galaxy_note_8
        data:
          title: "Notification"

When I press button 1, I hope I will receive a notification, but nothing happens.
The notifications are working fine in other automations.

I am running HA 0.56.2
The NodOn device is called my_switch

Your formatting got messed up - see the big blue box at the top (select the text and use the </> button).

The problem is that Central Scene support is different from Scene support. You need to use the Z-Wave control panel to change Scene Type to Scene Activation.

@Tinkerer, thanks for your quick reply.

You obviously need an empty line between your text and the code in order to format the code correctly. :slight_smile:

I did as you told me do and changed the scene type to Scene Activation, but every time that setting seems to get back to “Scene support”. According to the logs, the setting went fine, but when I go back to Z-wave control panel, that setting still shows “Scene support” and nothing happens when I push the buttons on the NodOn wall switch.

2017-10-26 23:45:14.543 Detail, Node014, Queuing (WakeUp) ConfigurationCmd_Get (Node=14): 0x01, 0x0a, 0x00, 0x13, 0x0e, 0x03, 0x70, 0x05, 0x03, 0x25, 0x99, 0x21
2017-10-26 23:45:47.247 Info, Node014, Value::Set - COMMAND_CLASS_CONFIGURATION - Scene Type - 3 - 1 - Scene Activation
2017-10-26 23:45:47.248 Info, Node014, Configuration::Set - Parameter=3, Value=1 Size=1

…ok, the logs do say that the buttons are pressed, but my automation above does not get triggered.

2017-10-26 23:59:48.594 Info, Node014, Received Central Scene set from node 14: scene id=1 in 0 seconds. Sending event notification.
2017-10-26 23:59:48.594 Warning, Node014, No ValueID created for Scene 1
2017-10-26 23:59:48.614 Detail, Node014,   Received: 0x01, 0x08, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x0e, 0x02, 0x84, 0x07, 0x7c

Update: After waiting for a while, “Scene activation” was enabled and the logs now says:

2017-10-27 00:31:08.930 Info, Node014, Received Scene Activation set from node 14: scene id=10 now. Sending event notification.
2017-10-27 00:31:08.930 Detail, Node014, Notification: SceneEvent
2017-10-27 00:31:10.074 Detail, Node014,   Received: 0x01, 0x08, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x0e, 0x02, 0x84, 0x07, 0x7c

So now the scene id is different.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Here is how to use the NodOn wall switch using the Home Assistant Z-wave control panel.

Follow the instructions provided by @fearoffish in post #1 above.

The difference from his/her instructions are:

1. You have to get the Scene ID number sent by the wall switch when pressing one of it’s keys. In order to get that number, open HA’s Z-wave control panel and get the node-id of your wall switch. In the Z-wave control panel, select Nodes drop-down and look at the nodes listed. Find your device (by the name you gave it when you included it in the list) and write down the node number to the right at that line. In my case, it was node 14 as in “my_switch (Node:14 Complete)”.

2. Now you have to change the mode to Scene Activation (from Central Scene). Select your node from the list. In my case I chose “my_switch (Node:14 Complete)”. Near the bottom of this page, look for the heading “Node config options”. Here, click on the “Config value” and select “3: Scene mode”. Now a new entry appears just below. This new entry’s name is “Config value” and it’s initial value is “Central scene”. Change this to “Scene activation”.

3. Here’s the part where I did fail. After changing this value, you have to wait for a while until Home Assistant “understands” that this change has been made. I my case,I had to wait 30 minutes after restarting Home Assistant. I don’t know why I had to wait, but when I did, it soled my problems.

4. Now It’s time to look at the logs created when you push any button on the NodOn wall switch. Take one button at a time to make sure you’ll understand how to find the right number. Press button 1 (top left) on the wall switch. Now return to Z-wave control panel in Home Assistant. At the very bottom of the page, just under the heading “Refresh to pull log”, click on the link “REFRESH”. Wait a few seconds, and then you will se a log with all the recent events in your system. Use your browsers sarch-function (CTRL+F perhaps) and search for the string “scene id”. You will find this log entry:

2017-10-27 00:31:08.930 Info, Node014, Received Scene Activation set from node 14: scene id=10 now. Sending event notification.

In the example above, we can tell that node 14 (our wall switch) sent a scene with the scene id 10. This tells us that button 1 = scene id 10. These are my values and the scen id might be a different value in your system.

Repeat step 4 to get the scene id for the rest of the buttons.

In my case, a single press on each button gave me these scene id’s;

Button 1: Scene id 10
Button 2: Scene id 20
Button 3: Scene id 30
Button 4: Scene id 40

So, now we have set up everything and we can create some automations.

Here’s my example for turning a on a Philips hue light when pressing button 1 and turning of that same light when pressing button 3.

# Pressing button 1
  - alias: Button 1 Pressed once
    trigger:
      event_data:
    action:
      - service: homeassistant.turn_on
        entity_id: light.hue_1
        data:
          color_temp: 362
          brightness: 254

# Pressing button 3
  - alias: Button 3 Pressed once
    trigger:
      event_data:
        scene_id: 30
    action:
      - service: homeassistant.turn_off
        entity_id: light.hue_1
3 Likes

Nice summary @ibennani!

To add to your instructions, most (if not all) Nodon remotes support both single, double and long click this way. The ID:s are 10 (single), 12 (long) and 13 (double). ID 11 is ‘button released’ so it is activated every time a button has been pressed and released. This way you can turn your lights on with a single click, set another color and/or brightness with a double click and turn them off with a long click.

The same goes for the other buttons: 20/22/23, 30/32/33 and 40/42/43 respectively.

Edit: the reason you have to wait for your parameter changes to take effect is that the remotes are not constantly online, they only wake up at specific intervals (such as every 30 min) to let the controller know that they’re still alive and to receive parameter updates. You can force an update by pressing any button on the remote to send a command, when the controller receives that command it will automatically issue the parameter update too.

3 Likes

Hello all, nice input, thanks!

I have just set up the nodon soft remote, but it is crazy slow. It takes 2-3 seconds, and sometimes it just does not work. My config is preferred to use button 1 to switch lights off, button 3 to switch lights on.

The really hard pard part is the next step with button 2 (+) do increase light (dim up) and button 4 (-) long press to dim lights down. With the sluggish respons I am not at all sure this will ever work… Any tips or thoughts? Does it have to be this slow?

My config is as follows (for now only on/off):

#####################################
##  Bryter på Toalett Overetasjen  ##
#####################################
- alias: Bryter Toalett Overetasjen På
  trigger:
    event_data:
      entity_id: zwave.bryter_toalett_overetasje
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      entity_id: light.dimmer_toalett_overetasje_level

- alias: Bryter Toalett Overetasjen av
  trigger:
    event_data:
  action:
    - service: light.turn_off

@corvy, I am also about to use that switch as a dimmer, but due to lack of time I have not been able to dig into this yet.

As soon as I do, I will post my findings in this thread.

Sorry for not being able to help you right now.

1 Like

So this cookbook entry was written for that, but if you look at my repository, at the bedhead- automations you’ll see ones that I use with my Nodon remote for exactly that.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

That cookbook link is grand. I think I will have a play with that one! Thanks :+1:

What I will do with the delay/sluggishness is still not solved. Maybe it will be better when fixed in the same spot? Not sure how z-wave works and how it selects it’s relay. The dimmer is fairly close so range should not be an issue, and the dimmer is a z-wave repeater.

When my config is completed I will post it (if it will ever work!)

The way Z-Wave works you can’t wander around the house with any Z-Wave device, it needs to stay relatively near where you include it, or you have to run a Heal after you move it to another room.

Mine controls a WiFi connected light, and is at the far end of my house from the controller, so at best there’s normally 3 hops to the controller, sometimes 4. Despite this control is fairly responsive, comfortably less than a second from pushing the button on the controller and an action happening - dimming takes a fraction longer, just because the remote doesn’t send the button held Scene immediately.

If you’re seeing longer, I’d look at both the health of your Z-Wave mesh (see this thread for how to generate a map), and the load on your Home Assistant server (which you can do with the top command, or tools like Netdata).

1 Like

@Tinkerer Thanks! :smiley: You are a lifesaver! I included the device in the basement close to the controller and I am trying to use it on the second floor. This will for sure be a problem!

I am happy to report that the switch works much better now. I ended up removing my switch and readding it to the network as the healing did not help alot. After re-adding it however (sitting on the toilet, in the room it is destined to end up!) it worked alot better.

After this I tried the cookbook entry on dimming up and down but to be honest this was not a perfect solution. The dimming is much too hard to control and not very user friendly. I ended up adding the following automations to use steps instead. One click on + is 32 steps brighter, double click on + is 62 steps brighter. This is very easy and works fine even with a bit of lag. Wife approved :slight_smile:

- alias: Bryter Toalett Overetasjen På
  trigger:
    event_data:
  action:

- alias: Bryter Toalett Overetasjen av
  trigger:
    event_data:
  action:
    - service: light.turn_off

- alias: Lysere på Toalettet +10%
  trigger:
    - platform: event
      event_data:
        scene_id: 20
  action:
      data_template:
        brightness: '{{ states.light.dimmer_toalett_overetasje_level.attributes.brightness|int + 31 }}'
- alias: Lysere på Toalettet +20%
  trigger:
      event_data:
        scene_id: 23
  action:
      data_template:
        brightness: '{{ states.light.dimmer_toalett_overetasje_level.attributes.brightness|int + 62 }}'
- alias: Mørkere på Toalettet -10%
  trigger:
      event_data:
        scene_id: 40
  action:
      data_template:
        brightness: '{{ states.light.dimmer_toalett_overetasje_level.attributes.brightness|int - 31 }}'
- alias: Mørkere på Toalettet -20%
  trigger:
      event_data:
        scene_id: 43
  action:
      data_template:
        brightness: '{{ states.light.dimmer_toalett_overetasje_level.attributes.brightness|int - 62 }}'

Next step would be to define a minumum and maximum setting that + and - would stop at. I think that about 32 is basically minimum for practical reasons, and somewhere around 200 is the maximum. Anything above that does not show visible change. At least this simple setup works rock solid for now.

1 Like

Awesome!! That worked perfectly!! Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

Can someone tell me what I have done wrong? My remote want respond to det switch.

Please don’t post your code as images, post your code as text - as explained here.

1 Like

I have a easier solution with node-red if anyone is interested.

Yes please @fernmac , can you share your solution ???

well, you just have to install mios package and follow this:

[{"id":"d954a9ba.ffa08","type":"tab","label":"Botões do Vera","disabled":false,"info":""},{"id":"c4f553ad.34f7a","type":"mios-in","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"Octan Nodon Input","server":"d061eba0.f8dac8","item":"Sala:Octan Remote","exact":false,"x":110,"y":480,"wires":[["ac4b86f9.2b99c","d6496281.1f7d8"]]},{"id":"966bb180.0cc72","type":"api-call-service","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"Ligar televisão","server":"9d094a0b.dff7f8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_on","entityId":"switch.ficha_da_sala_23","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":560,"y":440,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"ac4b86f9.2b99c","type":"switch","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"","property":"payload","propertyType":"msg","rules":[{"t":"eq","v":"1","vt":"num"},{"t":"eq","v":"2","vt":"num"},{"t":"eq","v":"3","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"5","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"6","vt":"str"},{"t":"eq","v":"7","vt":"str"}],"checkall":"true","repair":false,"outputs":6,"x":330,"y":480,"wires":[["d67f7c66.08e9e8"],["966bb180.0cc72"],["506ef9d7.567548"],["6d846ca6.aa6adc"],["dad14698.fcf308"],["878002fa.82746"]]},{"id":"d6496281.1f7d8","type":"debug","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"true","targetType":"full","x":370,"y":660,"wires":[]},{"id":"d67f7c66.08e9e8","type":"api-call-service","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"Ligar candeeiro sala","server":"9d094a0b.dff7f8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_on","entityId":"switch.candeeiro_sala","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":580,"y":400,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"506ef9d7.567548","type":"api-call-service","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"Abrir estores sala","server":"9d094a0b.dff7f8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"cover","service":"open_cover","entityId":"cover.estores_sala_24","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":570,"y":480,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"6d846ca6.aa6adc","type":"api-call-service","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"Desligar candeeiro sala","server":"9d094a0b.dff7f8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_off","entityId":"switch.candeeiro_sala","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":590,"y":520,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"dad14698.fcf308","type":"api-call-service","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"Desligar televisão","server":"9d094a0b.dff7f8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"switch","service":"turn_off","entityId":"switch.ficha_da_sala_23","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":570,"y":560,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"878002fa.82746","type":"api-call-service","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"Fechar estores sala","server":"9d094a0b.dff7f8","version":1,"debugenabled":false,"service_domain":"cover","service":"close_cover","entityId":"cover.estores_sala_24","data":"","dataType":"json","mergecontext":"","output_location":"","output_location_type":"none","mustacheAltTags":false,"x":570,"y":600,"wires":[[]]},{"id":"8987ee8e.7bff7","type":"inject","z":"d954a9ba.ffa08","name":"","topic":"","payload":"2","payloadType":"num","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":130,"y":400,"wires":[["ac4b86f9.2b99c"]]},{"id":"d061eba0.f8dac8","type":"mios-server","z":"","name":"Vera","host":"192.168.1.64","port":"3480"},{"id":"9d094a0b.dff7f8","type":"server","z":"","name":"Home Assistant"}]