Passive BLE Monitor integration

I have noticed an issue for a few versions now. I’ve just tried deleting all affected instance and rebooting, but the issue persists.

It applies to BLE devices being tracked. I can apply a name to the device, but after a reboot, that name is replaced by the device’s mac address in uppercase with the colons removed. The entities themselves are unaffected, as are all other devices.

This didn’t used to be a problem but something that’s persisted since a few versions now.

Is there anything I can do to help debug this?

Please create an issue on github with this bug. I will look into it.

Thank you!

Trying to get this working myself and am having issues with some sensors showing up. I posted an issue also ([Bug]: Gateway Missing Devices? · Issue #821 · custom-components/ble_monitor · GitHub). But the gist is that I have 4 Inkbird TH sensors (1 temp and humidity, 3 temp only) and one mi type. Some of them show up, some don’t. Also getting a lot of unknown messages when I enable unknowns. Can post those if it would be helpful. Not sure where else to start since they should be supported? I know the inkbirds require active scanning, does that work through ble_gateway?

For reference, none the the Inkbirds are working through the gateway. Turns out they were only working when I had the local HCI on. Once I disabled that ALL of the packets from the inkbirds are being marked as unknowns like the ones above.

This was working great with the Govee H5183 for a couple of days. I was using it with a usb over rj45 set of adapters and a 15ft ethernet cable just to test. I then moved it to a further away wall port (around 70’ )and can no longer get it to show. I uninstalled the integration but it’s not showing the Govee or any of the iBeacons it was picking up. The Configure popup shows the adapter mac address (hci0). I have debug logging turned on but am not seeing anything out of sorts - just that it’s not reporting devices.
Any ideas?
I have currently moved the dongle to be directly in the computer but no change.

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.ble_monitor.device_tracker] 0 BLE ADV messages processed last 30 seconds for 0 device tracker device(s)

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.ble_monitor.binary_sensor] 0 BLE advertisements processed for 0 binary sensor device(s)

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] HCIdump thread: main event_loop stopped, finishing.

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] HCIdump thread: Scanning will be restarted

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] 2 HCI events processed for previous period

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] HCIdump thread: Run

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] HCIdump thread: BLEScanRequester._initialized is False for hci0, waiting for connection…

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.ble_monitor.sensor] 0 BLE advertisements processed for 0 sensor device(s)

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] HCIdump thread: connected to hci0

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] HCIdump thread: BLEScanRequester._initialized is True for hci0, connection established, send_scan_request succeeded.

2022-04-11 11:58:22 DEBUG (Thread-36) [custom_components.ble_monitor] HCIdump thread: start main event_loop

I got a strange error in my BLE monitor in hassio. Multiple sensors are created but only one of the is the right one.

The bottom one is my sensor but the other 25 doesn´t exist. Ofc I can disable the one by one but how can I get rid of is permanent?

Perhaps you neighbour has a lot of sensors. You can disable adding new ones with discovery: False in the BLE monitor options

Thanks, I disabled 5 ov the “fake” devices and then 20+ entities were added…image

I´ve not changed two settings, lets see how that works out

and

I see, it is adding entities, not devices. Than my tip wont work. Is it one specific device that is having these extra entities?

I mistakenly purchased two Mi/Honeywell Smoke detectors thinking they were Zigbee and I ended up with two Bluetooth instead. I’m glad to see that this integration is here and these devices are listed as supported.

I’m running the docker version of Home Assistant on a Linux PC. Can anyone advise if I can just add a USB dongle to my PC, expose it to the docker container and install the integration via HACS? Will I need to do anything special outside of that?

I use a raspberry pi 3b+ with HassOS. Internal Bluetooth doesn’t have a wide range and I have to move Raspberry in another position. So I’ll use a usb Bluetooth adapter to solve this problem. Should I reconfigure devices with new adapter or I can modify existing entities using new adapter?

You only have to modify the adapter, no need to reconfigure the devices.

Hello, Ernst!
Thank you for integration.
I got only one question (I don’t have many devices) some updates ago new discovered devices, without id was added as iBeacon, it was useful, so i be able (with info from ibeacon) to add some of them by hand in my instance (for example redmond multicooker and yunmai scales) . for now i got many discoveries but i can’t add their entities (because of unknown id’s) is there any way to add them? I don’t know why they don’t want to add with “add device”. Only one was discovered right - Xiaomi hygrothermometer with ATC firmware… i use internal Bluetooth in raspberry pi 400
Thank you again, and sorry of my bad english.

What do you mean by “I can’t add their entities”. If you know the MAC (or UUID), you can add it to devices (add device…), if it isn’t auto-discovered (or if you have discovery turned off).

If it is a supported sensor, it should add it as soon as it gets the first BLE message. If it isn’t a known format, you can only use it as device tracker (enable that option).

If this is not the answer you are looking for, please try to explain what you did, what you expected to happen and what happened.

well, First time when i saw iBeacon i was surprised, “what the…? iBeacon?” ok… then I ignored it… in time I was returned to it and found that it was many devices that I used TWS headphones, multicooker, displays, Gopro and other, that I didnt expect to see in HA. From that moment i was thinking (sorry) oh hell!!! (That was pretty useful). Then some of devices was recognized and added to instance because they wass automatically added to BLE monitor with some conditions automatically. For now i’ve tried almost all options… none of them was added. i got many “INFO (Thread-3) [custom_components.ble_monitor.ble_parser] Unknown advertisement received:” and almost empty BLE integration… can you give some step by step help? or say what info I need to collect to add request for adding these devices to your integration?

Does anybody know if it’s possible to enable encryption on the Govee H50775 temp/humidity sensor?

I see that there’s a “device safety” option in the app, but I can’t find any documentation on it and I’m not sure if it enables encryption or something else.

If it does enable encryption then I’m not sure how to get the encryption key. I’ve seen these instructions in the FAQ but I’m not sure if that’s only for Xiaomi devices or not.

Thanks!

Do you mean the H5075? There is no encryption for that device.

Yes that’s the one, sorry for the typo. Thanks for the info!