Possibility to show current shutter-position?

Hi,
Is there a way to display the current shutter-position?
at the Moment, I can close or open the Shutter, stop it … and also have an automatisation running for it.

But I haven’t yet figured out, if there is a way how I can show the current Position of the Shutter.
2020-06-24 08_38_38-Übersicht - Home Assistant

2020-06-24 08_39_18-Übersicht - Home Assistant

What I could imagine is a graph, e.g. like the gauge control which could then show the position in percentage

Depends on the cover and how you integrated it. Does your cover provide the position level? How did you condigure it? Does one of the entities have the position level as an attribute?

Check out : Qubino Flush Shutter ZMNHCD1 doesn't work at all

Use template sensor for ‘current_position’ attribute of the cover.

PS: I suppose the pictures are from your setup. But still it would be best to post your setup and integration for this cover as @Burningstone suggested.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
The device is an Homematic IP device, and it is showing the Position value within the Homematic IP App and I have it also Seen somewhere in h.ass… but can’t remember where :frowning:

Within the entities, i could not find anything for cover.current_position … Within automatisations I saw it.

Since I am still new to this, can You plecase refer to the documentation how I should ‘use template sensor for current_position’ ?

Thanks
Chris

Hi,

What are you trying to achieve? It you want to get the current position from the cover entity you can try {{ state_attr('cover.name_of_your_entity','current_position')}}

Replace it with the name of your entity

If you goto Developers Tools - Template
What do you get when you type in
{{ states.cover.name_of_your_entity }}
Paste the whole response in (not pictures, they rarely help)
Along with what you actually typed (as Pedro suggested, this is just an example entity_id)

<template state cover.rollladen_gross_wohnzimmer=open; current_position=23, model_type=HmIP-BROLL, rssi_device=-60, rssi_peer=-61, id=3014F711A0001118A9A59B4D, is_group=False, friendly_name=Rollladen groß Wohnzimmer, icon=hass:window-shutter-alert, supported_features=15 @ 2020-06-24T08:30:24.022154+02:00>

So it does have “current_position”

Hi, I would like to have some kind of Cards where I can operate this device…
Showing the current position in a gauge, for example - or having a slider, like shown in the above screenshot (which is only available, if I click to the text from the first picture)

Christoph,
You have to ‘reply’ to someone so we know what question you are answering (OR include enough information for us to just follow it smoothly)

So given your response : -

<template state cover.rollladen_gross_wohnzimmer=open; current_position=23, model_type=HmIP-BROLL, rssi_device=-60, rssi_peer=-61, id=3014F711A0001118A9A59B4D, is_group=False, friendly_name=Rollladen groß Wohnzimmer, icon=hass:window-shutter-alert, supported_features=15 @ 2020-06-24T08:30:24.022154+02:00>

I assume that this was ‘supposed’ to be for me ?
So you entity_id is : - cover.rollladen_gross_wohnzimmer
This is the first time you have properly stated that

Now All devices (from different manufactures, ‘may’) have different attributes and options, so this is why everyone was asking these questions

So given this and @pedrorferreira 's excellent guess, you know you need to set up a sensor based on : - “{{ state_attr(‘cover.rollladen_gross_wohnzimmer’, ‘current_position’) }}”

Do you know how to create a sensor ?
From your post and your pictures it looks like you only use the GUI so I can’t help you with that. But I’m sure someone else here can.
Once you have that you can set up a card to display it. You can have a slider (or just a ‘percentage open’ box (typically not ‘percentage closed’)) to control it.

@pedrorferreira - can you help him with that ?
(though you may not know the GUI that well either :man_shrugging: :rofl: )

@Burningstone - I know the forum is supposed to be in English, but maybe you can PM him, explain normal forum rules/conventions, replies, tagging pasting code direct etc. (tall ask but your German is far better than … well pretty much ‘my anything’ ! :rofl: )
I’m guessing ‘doppless’ counts as a ‘capital’ and therefore not allowed in entity_id’s ?

I’d help more but I don’t actually have any ‘covers’ :roll_eyes:

Hi,

You can have something like this which is a slider under the entity:

Or you can create a simple entity card and add the ‘current_position’ as the Attribute:

type: entity entity: cover.shelly2_5_68e36f_roller_0 attribute: current_position

Additionally, let me see how to put that value on a gauge.

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:
THanks everyone so far - and sorry, if I did not really provided the relevant information directly… still trying to figure out, where I need to go to get them - or, what exactly you mean … just started with using this software a few days ago… I am pretty sure, that this will get better within the next days :slight_smile:

about the reply thing: when I wrote the replies, I was a bit in a hurry… so my bad - sorry!

Now, I only need to figure out, how I can install the linked “slider-entity-row” … :smiley:
Will let you know, if I could bring it to work.

Thank you all again.

Saw this a few days ago. I don’t personally use it, but might help you out?

1 Like

No worries. We’re always learning Home Assistant with the help of everyone here in the forum.

To help with the custom cards you can install HACS, it makes everything easier.

Pedro,
Not sure about this.
I try to go “as vanilla as possible” so don’t use hacs etc.
(never ever had any problems with upgrades as a consequence)
Chris obviously prefers custom cards etc. so it may not be a problem for him.
So how does this work . (I’m assuming you have covers ? )
I assume you can’t just write a new value to the attribute so…
Do a comparison, drive up if lower, down if higher, stop when value reached ?
Why would someone need a custom component for that ?

Well the position is actually in the entity detail page already as a slide bar, to see and change the position. You click the shutter icon in the entity card and then this page comes up (You can see it in the first message…). IMHO there is no need to complicate things; it might be overkill and an extra load to home assistant and lovelace. I have 12 shutters and i do this way whenever i want to set a position easily… Just for 1 or 2 shutter this might be handy but if you have many shutters, lovelace screen will be too crowded.

Thanks for the education (everyday is a learning day :smiley: ) so if you wanted to set a cover to 40% at 09:30 what would that automation look like ?

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/cover/#service-coverset_cover_position says; ‘cover.set_cover_position’ service call is just the service that handles this. You gotta write an automation with a time trigger and service call action for this service with ‘position’ data with an Integer between 0 and 100.

You also can make a scene and then a sheduler to the scene.

Hi Mutt,

You don’t actually need any custom component to deal with shutters. I have 4 shutters managed by Shellys 2.5 and don’t have any custom component associated with it. As @febalci said, the current_position is an attribute to the cover entity and we can view it’s value when clicking on the entity itself.

On a automation it’s pretty simple, you just need to call the cover.set_cover_position service with the position (integer 0-100) you want to set it:

`action:

• data:
    position: 30
    entity_id: cover.your_cover_entity
    service: cover.set_cover_position`

Hi,
Yes, I saw that the position slider is available within the attributes of this entity.
I just wondered why there is no option to use this within one of the existing cards - since the entity does provide this option - and you have the same “difference” also for other entities.

I mean, it would be just as for the other entities - where you can manually select if you want to use this feature in a card or not (by selecting the device…)

Now I have a way how this could work [unfortunately, I am still struggling a bit with the implementation] :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot!