Problems with HA on a Pi5

Do you NEED to?

Zigbee is a mesh network designed to blanket an area with low powered devices. Powered devices route for one another. You should only need two coordinators in extreme deployments

3 Likes

You should really only run multiple Zigbee networks if you really have the need to do so. It’s a complicated setup and one that requires isolating the coordinators away from each other and other EMI interference.

2 Likes

Yes I have eonly one Sonoff setup, I was just refering to it as I cannot get ZHA and MQTT to both work on this Sonoff! Not tried it yet since coming over to this new setup yet but will be trying this week to see if I still have issues doing both ZHA and MQTT from 1 Sonoff Dongle

ZHA doesn’t have anything to do with MQTT. Zigbee2MQTT (a separate project) uses MQTT for data transfer to HA. You should have no issues at all running MQTT and ZHA together in the same HA instance.

Are you wanting to switch over to Zigbee2MQTT?

1 Like

No I’m wanting to get it to work! It would not work for me, so I have been busy trying to figure why and the issues with it, but also transfer over from using a Yellow to the Ikoolcore to hopfuly resolve why teh sonoff would not connect or start to work.

But thank you would be great to find out how too, and fix the issues I’m having and hopfuly get them to both work in HA.

Do I need a sseperate Dongle to get both into HA?

Yes

That has been said many times already. The answer won’t change.

3 Likes

Thats a lot to try to fix at the same time

@code-in-progress is correct MQTT and ZHA have ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with one another. Therefore, this can only possibly mean you want to Run ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT on the same machine at the same time.

Plain and simple - You can’t do it without two sticks. I’ll skip the technical - that’s just the way it works, so then I ask WHY do you want/need to run two?

In post 9 earlier Problems with HA on a Pi5 - #9 by Thediabeticway you state that you have left the Pi and are now on a device (doesn’t matter type) running Proxmox with HAOS in a virtual machine.

Great all bets are off - we start from scratch with a COMPLETELY different set of steps. after you do all the things in the guide you linked you THEN have to map the USB port through to the VM. I didnt check but it’s probably not in that guide as it would be unique to someone using a USB stick.

This link: Getting Sonoff/zigbee2mqtt with Proxmox - Configuration / Zigbee - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Relates to using a Sonoff stick with Z2M on ProxMox - the first half of the setup (passthrough of the stick) should be applicable whether you use ZHA or Z2M.

Once you get ONE stick working with HA - then lets determine if you even need the second?

2 Likes

If its been said yes my lack of understanding does not help me until I understand it which I’m doing here now! I’m not asking to bug you I’m asking so I understand it .

we have all not been using this setup!
And thank you
you finely said I need two different Dongles :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl: :innocent: so now.
So which two Dongles do I use or need on my setup on a Ikoolcore - Proxmox - with Home Assistant :crazy_face: :triumph:

And I’m taking about a Ikoolcore now and not a Pi5 so again I’m off topic! :thinking: :man_shrugging: :rofl:

I luv this community :slight_smile:

Thank you for all that information!

This is a hard one to answer really it just seems to come up on setups alot which I’m trying to follow and its using MQTT and some things medicaly is again done in using Node-red and within that setup I need a MQTT setup.

This is an example why Id like MQTT: Send And Receive SMS In Your Node RED Flows With Ring Central

So I thought it be best I have both in my setups to be able to do the things medicaly I will be needing to do as you will be well aware to run things takes power and the less power on my body to keep alive is power in its self just a way to try to explain to you why Id like to have it in on my setup has I have sensors on me.

And yes it will be great to know if now the MQTT will work with just one Sonoff and me not need a second sonoff

Has I have not had time to try it yet! Or test things out yet! Since me coming over to the Ikoolcore Proxmox.

This link: Getting Sonoff/zigbee2mqtt with Proxmox - Configuration / Zigbee - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

On looking at this video I see in the video he is saying to avoid E for the P where I was informed to use the E not the P so why all the confusions going on! you would be needing a P version and a E version to do both on the setup. Or again is this wrong as you say the E should do both or I’m I miss understand all of this agin? :slight_smile:

I’m also wanting to get voice information from medical items to warn me of them running out I used to get this from a Google API until they took it away so Id like to return it in a HA kind of system to make life easier for us all!

Are you still meaning Zigbee2MQTT there?

If so please say that. MQTT is not Zigbee2MQTT.

Zigbee2MQTT needs a coordinator (“sonoff”). ZHA needs a coordinator too. They can’t share the same one.

2 Likes

Yes, its about Zigbee2MQTT, maybe we can have a grammer cheker on here or and a spell checker!

:slight_smile:

Hope for this to happen too in the community too so if you have time can you plz vote!

So do I need a sonoff p as well as a sonoff E to run (wait for it Zigbee2MQTT

without them interfering with one or the another?

the names so long winded! :rofl:

A health tag has been added.

3 Likes

You need one coordinator per integration. ZHA is an integratiin. Zigbee2MQTT is another integration.

One integration Per coordinator stick. So one Sonoff stick for one integration (ZHA) and one Sonoff for the other integration (Zigbee2MQTT) your choice of dongle E or dongle P should be based on the recommendation of whatever either ZHA or Zigbee2MQTT recommend respectively. Both integrations have hardware recommendation pages.

But you still have not explained what you’re going to connect to each. Each instance of integration and coordinator will create a separate unique zigbee network which has the potential to interfere with the other. Zigbee 101. Radio strength improves with density and you’re starting off by cutting the density in half. Which is why you should NOT create two zigbee networks on the same device.

All you’ve said is what I’ve read says I need them but you haven’t given us an example of one single device that will actually use zigbee to connect to home assistant?

1 Like

I dont need to mention any device I want to connect too in my property!

I want and need full compatibilities to what ever I choose to buy and not having to keep sending items back due to them not connecting and not working!

There is a lot of Hue lighting I might like to try or Aqara T1 Pro as that is only in Alexa not in HA! in HA using node-Red to dim change colour of lights woud I hope be able to do but its liek I said Id rather it setup so if the need comes its setup.

Yes I understand ZHA does a lot but most of my things in ZHA are just sensors not lighting or blinds. I have some one coming to see about fitting me some blinds and if the need be I have the setup in place.

It might be a waste of time to me, but thats my choosing not yours!

Isn’t it easier to do your research on compatibility before you buy the devices?

no not really!

:roll_eyes: :grinning:

Also there is a device that will do both, no clue if it be any good or not but not what you have said is not the all pictures! :grinning:

See this video!

:wink:

Best Zigbee Gateway on the market - for now! UZG-01 by ZigStar

This is a fundamental misunderstanding you need to fix or it will end in pain for you. And what we’re trying to help with.

By doing both at once YOU WILL cause yourself pain and suffering and cause functional issues just from the sheer fact you have both installed.

We STRONGLY recommend you research rhe devices you want to use. And pick ONE platform. ZHA or Z2M are both perfectly capable of driving sensors and lights. With various methods you can make almost any device work with either. What you see here on the site are usually preferences.

One thing is CERTAIN if you continue down your path you will have days and days of troubleshooting weird stuff nobody has ever seen simply because you choose to do this.

If you choose to do this then when you ask a question pertaining to your setup in the future. Be sure to state clearly you have this very not recommended setup on your first line. I guarantee the first ask will be shut off one of the networks and wait two hours for Zigbee to stabilize o see if the problem continues. Yes. It can and will be that bad. But you seem to know better.

Enjoy.

(and the zigstar gateway is just another getaway but just like the rest you can only connect it to One integration Ata a time… You can keep showing us coordinator sticks but they all work the same way one stick one integration and you should not have both antenna on the same box period.)

3 Likes

You need one coordinator for ZHA and one for Zigbee2MQTT if you want to run both.

Running both isn’t going to be a good idea. You’ve been advised not to do that many times already.

But, as you don’t want to listen I’ll stop there and leave others to it.

1 Like