PSA: Alexa Media Player v4.13.3 breaks all versions of Home Assistant

SO glad there is a post about this! I upgraded to 10.0 and got the memory leak errors! Fortunately I had a full backup less than a month old.

If I disable the update entity in the Alexa Media Player integration, it’ll stop bugging me for updates (for now) correct?

I hope this finds a new stable home. I use this one a LOT!

Very grateful for this community today!

1 Like

Thank you for this thread!

I’ve been pulling my hair out all day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for this. I had updated Core yesterday and then saw the update tonight for Alexa Media player. As soon as I updated AMP, I got stuck in the boot loop. When I started searching for an answer, this thread popped up.
Fortunately, I was able to trigger a restore in-between reboots to when I updated the core yesterday, and all seems okay after reinstalling the Core update.

This time when AMP notified me of the update, I skipped it.

Glad I found this… I still had AMP installed, even though it wasn’t in use. Uninstalled and all is good.

Of course, in the interim, I used this as an excuse to upgrade the HP 800 Mini G1 to a G5 version :smiley:

now 4.13.3 has been removed as an update will HA stop blocking it, I mean I never updated to 4.13.3 and yet I got failed to setup and removed and try to re add but authing is in a loop now (enter user, then password then back it goes to user lol)… I litrally use alex just for actionable notifications and thats it.

So… anyone got any idea on Alexa Media Player Alternatives?

1 Like

I reinstalled AMP 4.13.2
Is now running stable since I rolled back

as FYI…looks like the plan to block AMP in HA has been reverted according to this PR now that AMP v4.13.3 has been pulled

@poudenes you asked about the block too so just FYI

DOH!

Wish I’d seen this first. In debugging I removed AMP and now trying to reinstall it I can’t get past the Amazon.co.uk login screen. 2FA is good and matches, grrrrr

“Solution” :laughing:

@Richi_Bowzer @chrisExh try this to solve the login screen issue.

All thanks go to @dbrunt who made a simple, step by step tutorial with pics!

1 Like

I had a look through that and yes it does look like a lot of work. I mainly use my Amazon Echos as announcement speakers in HA and have some quite complex scripts to collate all the information I need for a particular announcement then send it to an Echo in whichever room I am in.

I couldn’t see any way of doing that from this skill. I might just switch to local voice once I get my local voice assist set up. It’s the one advantage Google speakers have over Amazon.

Amazon doesn’t seem to let you do that in routines. It’s also not designed to allow for dynamic content; it’s pretty much just for “fixed” stuff.

I can think of a kludge, but it’s a bit messy… have a virtual switch for each room/message you you would want, and have a different routine triggered from each switch. Then your complicated HA setup would decide which switch(es) need to be triggered. It doesn’t scale too well, but if you just have 5 rooms and 3 messages then 15 switches and 15 routines is managable…

Hi everyone. I’m glad I found this thread. I’m not exactly sure what to do, but I’m stuck where I can’t get into HA via a browser nor through SSH. I have a ping -t going, to see if it truly rebooting on me like the others, and if so I going to log in as quickly as possible and disable the Alexa.

Still, I’m not able to get in, what are my options? I have a back up from 3 days ago.

Power it off, plug a keyboard and monitor into the system. Turn it on, when the screen boots up, type

ha core restart --safe-mode

Once you’re into safe mode, disable the integration. And you can restart in non safe mode to downgrade it

2 Likes

Thank you for this response. I’ve gone just this, and I see hope. Hope on a Saturday!

So, just to get this clearly out there.

If you STAY on AMP 4.13.2 you should NOT upgrade to HA 2024.10.1. Is this correct? Otherwise AMP won’t work?

Until a new stable version of AMP is released, then HA should NOT go above 2024.10.0, correct?

No…AMP 4.13.2 works fine with HA 2024.10.1…the block was pulled, see PSA: Alexa Media Player v4.13.3 breaks all versions of Home Assistant - #36 by Gav_in for the details

How to downgrade? Can you explain for dummies like me?

I experience unstability HA boots new every now and then. Maybe coz i made the last alexa media player Update :frowning:

How have you installed AMP?
Version 4.13.3 is no longer available so if for example you are using HACS to install this, then just redownload the custom component and you’ll be back to 4.13.2…if you search this thread there are a few mentions of how to install…

1. Restart HA.
  2. After restart, go to HACS.
  3. Click 3 dots on “Alexa Media Player” repository, right side.
  4. Select “Redownload” from drop down list.
  5. Select previous version from drop down list like on the image.
    65217ca3d71b0892e88919c87c6b75e99412954b_2_623x500
    Thanks to CancunManny for image, using his image.
  6. Restart HA.
2 Likes