Push Notifications now available!

I’ve followed the instructions but am not getting notifications. When looking on my profile page in the app the push notifications toggle switch is disabled. I have notifications working in Chrome (Win 10 and Android) and the switch in those is enabled. What do I need to do to enable the switch in the Android app?

Please update the step-by-step instruction to include another very important step 1a:

Goto Settings > Apps > Home Assistant on your phone and Force Stop the App and then under Storage choose CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE 

Then continue on step 2
After step #3 - just when you relaunch the App, if everything works, it will give a clear message on your mobile screen that integration with HA has been established. If you do not get that message, then something has gone wrong.

Also, if you do not use default_config: in your configuration.yaml file, then you have to add it, or alternatively add mobile_app:

7 Likes

That also solved my issue, thanks

what is step 6?

It works with nabu casa. I had to sign out and back in before the service was exposed.

Changing the name on the device doesn’t change the name of the service for me. Any other ideas?

how did you delete them? I’m unable to.

Configuration > Integrations > Click instance you want to delete > Click trash can in upper right hand corner.

I’ve found that anytime I logout and log back in to the app, a new device is created. I’ve created a ticket for this on GitHub: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-android/issues/149

1 Like

THANK YOU! I was trying to delete them from the devices page…it’s the simplest things sometimes.

Please please please add notification category support! I want my phone to have a different notification setting for my house giving me the heads up it’s triggered some an automation, and one that my alarm has been triggered. I will forever be your best friend if I had notification channel / category support.

5 Likes

this saved me :slight_smile:
I added the mobile_app and logged out and in again from the app, and did the trick. thanks

Odd it works fine for me, that’s the whole point of friendly names. You’re restarting HA after renaming?

The above example from Reditt worked too… Nice one. Only installed Telegram yesterday for android notifications. Looks like there is no need now.

Does the location service and notifcations work even if my HA instance isn’t available externally?

@Bobby_Nobble that is not true. Changing the device name does NOT change the name of the service call. In fact, if you have 2 of the same model phones you will only get one to work because it is the same name. I had to modify the contents in /.storage/config_entries and change the names in there and restart home assistant to get the service calls to update the names. This works and then both phones each get a service call.

4 Likes

@HeedfulCrayon check out the thread here https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/e9tw98/home_assistant_for_android_120_now_supports_push/
someone posted and you need to modify the /.storage/config_entries file to get the service call to change.

Does this require HA 0.103? I restarted my HA after opening the app, but there are no new notification services :frowning:

No. mobile_app: has been available for many months

I added it to my config. Opened the app, restarted HA - no service :frowning: I opened the app several more times and restarted HA also several times - no new service for push :frowning: What else can be wrong?? HA 0.103

Log out and back in in the app from your profiles page, that fixed it for me. Simply re-opening the app didn’t work for me either.

1 Like