Qolsys IQ Panel 2 and 3rd party integration

@lysol

Yes you can do it whatever you want with home assistant automations. You’ll have to bring in the Z-Wave locks into home assistant using another Z-Wave controller.

Also with the locks you’ll have to look into how well your lock is supported in HA. For example my Kwikset locks will tell you the status of who unlocked it Etc, so you’ll likely want that for your automation, unless you’re solely basing it on just the state lock or unlock which could be less safe

That’s awesome. Thanks. Does your automation send a specific code to the qolsys based on who unlocked the lock?

No in this case the trigger will have to be your lock.

For example if the door unlocks by user number 2, and if the panel is armed away, then disarm the panel.

Home assistant takes care of the communication between the panel and the lock but there’s no code that’s being sent

Just to make this more safe for you might want to put other conditions in like if you’re home or not

@lysol also which lock do you have? I have the kwickset 910 locks and it tells me who unlocks the lock based on the alarmtype and alarmlevel entities. I would expect other log manufacturers to have something similar

Thanks. Do you have the panel_user_code value set in the apps.yaml? I’m just curious as I’m thinking this is the only way to have homeassistant be able to disarm the alarm from an automation.

I currently have mine not set so I can enter my own code in the Alarm Panel Card in a homeassistant dashboard. setting the panel_user_code value in apps.yaml seems to grey out the keypad in the Alarm Panel Card and clicking disarm (or the arm buttons) just instantly disarms/arms the qolsys.

You are correct you will need that feature enabled so that home assistant can disarm your system without putting an alarm code in.

I personally don’t have that yet however now that you’re talking about this I might actually implement the same automation to disarm the panel from the lock.

By the way if you have a qwikset 910 lock this is how it decodes who unlocked the lock.

SirGoodenough/Home-Assistant-Config/blob/e62024ddddcf056365320290cdfcff34c3a7668e/templates/Sensors/lock_s-tmpl.yaml

Come to think of it your approach might actually be a safer approach compared to Bluetooth disarming which is what I currently use now

Sounds good. I really don’t need to use the Alarm Panel Card in Lovelace tbh… It was just fun to use. I wonder how many seconds it would take for homeassistant to see that the zwave lock is unlocked and for the automation to run to disarm the alarm.

Ok. I just ran a successful quick automation test with what I can use. I created an automation that when a light state changes from off to on, it calls the “Alarm control panel: Disarm” service for my alarm entity and disarms the alarm.

There is a code option in the automation service section!!! So I can keep the “panel_user_code” setting out of my apps.yaml file and still use the “Alarm Panel Card” in my dashboard while using whatever code I want.

While this won’t allow me to track what users disarm the alarm (will always be my homeassistant user/PIN I created in the qolsys) when using a zwave lock automation, I can at least be able to effectively turn the exterior door locks into keypad extensions of the alarm.

1 Like

awesome and yes!

Once you integrate your lock into HA, you should be able to do that. I mean knowing who unlocked the lock and then disarms the system is really just an extra piece of information, not super necessary.

As long as you put safe conditions, this is a great little thing to do that I will be exploring soon, too.

@lysol

just tested this and works pretty well!

alias: Disarm Panel on Front Door Keypad Unlock
description: Disarm Panel on Front Door Keypad Unlock
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.template_lock_front_door_mode
    to: "Unlocked by: Me"
    id: Me
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - sensor.template_lock_front_door_mode
    to: "Unlocked by: My Wife"
    id: Wife
condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: group.somebody_home
    state: home
  - condition: state
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.partition1
    state: armed_away
action:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id: Me
        sequence:
          - service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_disarm
            data:
              code: "removed"
            target:
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id: Wife*emphasized text*
        sequence:
          - service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_disarm
            data:
              code: "removed"
            target:
  - service: notify.mobile_app_sony_xperia_zx1
    data:
      title: House Disarmed
      message: House Disarmed by {{ trigger.id}} at the front door lock.
      data:
        channel: Disarmed
        notification_icon: mdi:security
  - service: notify.mobile_app_sony_xperia_zx1
    data:
      data:
        tts_text: House Disarmed by {{ trigger.id}} at the front door lock.
  - service: notify.mobile_app_iphone
    data:
      title: House Disarmed
      message: House Disarmed by {{ trigger.id}} at the front door lock.
mode: single
1 Like

sweet!! are you sending your individual codes depending on which user unlocked the lock?

also, that’s awesome that your lock returns a user id on unlock.

how much time are you experiencing upon hitting the unlock button on the lock to when the alarm is disarmed?

yes! I’m sending the individual codes to the panel and it will depending on who unlocked it, so it will message me saying who unlocked the lock and thus, who disarmed the panel.

Your lock should be able to do the same. Mine are 5 year old Kwikset 910’s, surely yours are newer.

as for time, I’ve only done it once so far but it been under 2 seconds to disarm.

1 Like

That’s freaking awesome!!! I currently have the Nest Yale locks which I’m still currently using since I removed the Nest alarm system. Sucks that they are stuck on Google’s proprietary weave protocol. I’m still researching z-wave locks to replace them with and have been looking at the Yale Assure z-wave lock.

Has anyone been able to get this alarm integration to work with Google Assistant?

I got it working with Google Assistant Routines, but I’m currently getting the problem addressed here - Google Assistant : Alarm control panel only works partially in english ... , Not at all in other languages · Issue #37345 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I can still arm the alarm via Google Routines, but Google Assistant states there was a problem even though it still works.

About integrating the IQPanel with Z-Wave, keep in mind the IQP is a Z-Wave controller itself which isn’t exposed via the C4 integration. That being said, it does support being set up in Secondary Controller mode, but the issue is that Z-Wave.JS doesn’t seem to support secondary controllers at all.

It would be pretty cool to use the IQPanel’s UI to control devices whilst staying synchronized with HA - but we’d need Z-Wave.JS to support secondary controllers on its network, or run as a secondary controller itself to the IQP. I don’t see much value for the latter though, unless you have an Alarm.com account and want to keep control of Z-wave devices through ADC.

(I know I’m necroposting but I wanted to post this a while ago for lysol & Anto79-ops’s benefit :slight_smile: )

1 Like

thanks for sharing!

I moved all my Z-wave devices to z-wave js, and its about 95% as reliable as my Qolsys panel.

The only device i’m having an issue with is my alarm.com SMW-150 smart water valve + meter. Its not officially supported by z-wave js, and trying to obtain the z-wave configuration parameters for this device is proving to be trick (this is what is needed for full control).

Randomly wondering if someone in that thread would have any idea where I could get a new qolsys panel in Canada without having to subscribe a 3-5 yr contract with a security provider?
It seems that qolsys does not sell to end users directly, and I would like to be able to play around with an IQ panel 4 (for which I also need the dealer and installer codes, of course).

TELSCO in Edmonton only does 1 year contracts and offers decent discounts on the equipment. I’ll be getting my IQ Panel 4 from them.