R.I.P Hassbian

I think, when constantly were some works on Hass.os it was only matter of time the hassbian support will end soon. Relly want to migrate to OpenHAB, to start everything from the beginning, writing all automations and scripts from the scratch ? In my case have few commandline scripts like sending SMS by USB Modem with gammu, and when i started even couldn’t imagine it will work and now it’s working. Of course it’s a chame hassbian died but i understand it’s hard for everyone to support few simmilar projects. Just think, how many time will you spend for making some changes to Your configuration work on Hass.OS ? two weeks ? How many time You will spend to knew OpenHAB as good as You knew Home Assistant ? Im sitting on it everyday many hours, and i think I’ll took a reward because I will be able to use Node Red, espHome, all that wonderfull addons that didn’t worked for me before because it was to hard for me to integrate it with home assistant on hassbian.
Best regards and don’t give UP !!!

About 15 minutes…tops? You can easily convert to hassio unless you have a LOT of things that rely on the underlying Raspbian, in which case, you can just KEEP USING A VENV INSTALL OF HOME ASSISTANT LIKE YOU DO EVERY DAY. Seriously, nothing actually changes there.

Node-Red is quite literally the easiest thing to add to any Home Assistant setup.

1 Like

We just keep saying it over and over and (and now LOUDER) but nobody ever seems to listen…

1 Like

I don’t know, I still not sure… I’ve only seen this about 100 times in this thread but I wanted to be sure…

So what you guys are saying is

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

(Sorry I can’t help but be a sarcastic A$$ sometimes (ok most of the time))

2 Likes

I just don’t understand why people can’t get it through their heads. Lol. It’s mind boggling.

Hello,

for every hassbian users I’ve made some tutorial how to install Hass.IO to work very simmilar as hassbian, it’s booting from USB SSD and commandline script’s work’s !

1 Like

Any docs/howto’s for VENV installs ? I want to stay away from docker and use raspbian at the very least still.

The official documentation covers this.

If you look at this link, and click the words that say:

check out our alternative installation methods.

You will be linked to this page:

From there you simply click the version you want to install…

1 Like

That’s homeassistant still not Hass.io which is what I want to switch too. All I can tell is that you got to ways to use Hass.io… pi image or docker.

You can’t do a VENV install of hassio. This has been mentioned many times in the forums.

Because hassio REQUIRES docker, since…hassio literally runs on Docker. Hassio is literally impossible to run without it, since docker is the underlying technology for it to work.

If you want hassio, you will have to use docker. Either docker running on a Linux machine or via HassOS. Either way, it’s docker.

Why do you want hassio?

1 Like

Isn’t hassbian being retired at some point ? Figured I might as well get Hass.io working. Shame Hass.io can only run as a docket image…

I guess you haven’t read anything in this thread?

THE VENV METHOD IS STILL VERY MUCH ALIVE

OK…so go ahead and switch?

I guess you aren’t understanding how hassio works…

1 Like

What’s with the docker phobia anyway?

2 Likes

I think that the DSM definition uses one word, ie dockerphobia (not docker phobia).

It became rampant a while after we were hit by dockermania.

However the cure is simple: most dockerphobiacs find that even a mild exposure to docker alleviates their symptoms.

1 Like

Holy Crap!! You’ve got to be freakin’ kidding!

Go on and admit it…you’re just trolling now aren’t you? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Just migrated to Hass.io from Hassbian. Holy shit it is so elegant. I love it. What a brilliantly ingenius solution. Now I can just focus on what I want to get done rather than software maintenance.
I really didn’t want to use Docker, but the fact that I don’t have to worry about new software configs as much, about updates, about restarts, it’s just great.
Thanks to the devs for all their hard work!

2 Likes

You are using docker :slight_smile:

I think he knows and just states the fact that he did NOT want to use it, but know that he uses it, he thinks it is great :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Indeed @Burningstone :slight_smile:

1 Like

At the beginning I decided to use hass.io instead of hassbian… And I have no issues, including control of my Pi from hass.io via command line

I hope now HA developers will have more time for creation of other new features