Raspberry Pi 5

For a real speed-up I suggest trying compilation on your ryzen 9 :rocket:

Thank you @orange-assistant
I will read the doc.
I’m using HAOS with esp add-on. Then compilation is done on the pi. I’m not familliar with docker and I’m not sure there is an easy to do only “compilation only” and keeping the rest as it is today.

Then just install using python/pip :wink:

Essentially you will copy over yaml’s and then can install/update with mullti core power from your ryzen :muscle: (compiling “only” without actually updating/installing to the esphome node exists but doesn’t make much sense here :thinking:)

All your esphome nodes integrated in HA will continue to work exactly the same as before. :raised_hands:

1 Like

This is exactly what I do. I had been compiling and updating my ESPHome stuff from within the HA add-on, and while I never had a problem, I was concerned about working my poor little RPi too hard. There’s really no reason to compile there. I installed ESPHome on my laptop, which has plenty of power and storage, and doesn’t have any real-time loads to handle while I’m compiling.

I still have the add-on installed. It’s handy to be able to look at my ESPHome devices while I’m in there, since I don’t always have my laptop open. To get the add-on to recognize the current versions of the devices, I found I had to copy the .json files from the .esphome directory on my laptop to the same directory on the RPi hosting HA. I have read that in version 2023.9 of the add-on, these may have been moved to a different location, so be sure you check.

1 Like

Wow! So this RK3588(s) boards (already available since around a year) like a Orange Pi 5 (LTS) easily sacks the not yet avaialble RPi5 in terms of efficiency even though they have double the cores (might be because of them actually big.LITTLE) :grimacing:

Beside RK3588 can offer M.2/NVMe it is - other than the Raspberry Pi 5 - based on a (more) recent lithography with 8nm and obviously outperforms the Pi releasing a “new” 16nm based process node (BCM2712) in the end of 2023 :man_shrugging:

Overclocking and *Underclocking* the Raspberry Pi 5 | Jeff Geerling

Not yet released and already outperformed by older SBC’s which don’t cost even more :thinking:

I think the staggered release is because the RK3588(s) has got Raspberry spooked as they have never released like this before as really they are not shipping in full until early 2024.
The 8nm big.Little of the RK3588(s) is absolutely awesome for ML as it has the Mali G610 that with ArmNN I am getting approx 75% of the CPU throughput and it also has a 6tops NPU.

I am a bit of a SBC collector as with RK3588(s) I have the Radxa Rock5b and the OrangePi5 the Opi5 is just amazing for cost, Rpi5 on preorder.
GitHub - ggerganov/llama.cpp: Port of Facebook's LLaMA model in C/C++ because of its Arm Mac focus run great on Arm v8.2 but benches I have seen of the Rpi5 seems much less for ML for some reason and will only find out when I get my preorder. Anything slower than a RK3588 is too slow for use in my opinion especially with the difference to the Rpi5 unless you overclock.

The Mac M1/M2 are awesome and usually I am not an apple fan but they are just ridiculous 8watt idle / 60watt max powerhouses.
If Apple hadn’t soldered direct and forced obsolescence they would make great 2nd user kit.
I am hoping we will see a Cortex-X SBC soon that manages a reasonable cost level, but maybe a year or 2 away.

So much with Home automations especially AI LLM’s and Speech pipelines you want much central horsepower so there is very little latency and race-till-idle, the Rpi5 or RK3588(s) for a single server are still lacking for me, because of diversification of use a single more powerful server allows opensource to be pretty much cutting edge and serve multiple users/zones/processes.
I guess you can make clusters but we are moving into an era of Arm servers & desktops that are ridiculously powerful and efficient especially as you will see from GitHub - geerlingguy/top500-benchmark: Automated Top500 benchmark for clusters or single nodes. The Mac M1 is x8.74 Glops for x6 the wattage of a Pi5 and x9 Pi5 = 99watt. For comptational power price wise the Mac is prob cheaper when you factor in all the addtional hardware for a Pi, so guessing a Cortex-X SBC could be much cheaper as this is Apple we are talking about.

It would be great to see what the likes of Rockchip can do with efficiency with Cortex-X as the RK3588(s) is almost double the efficiency 4.64 Gflops/W of the Rpi5 2.75 Gflops/W as that all in homeassisstant/AI/Voice/Mediacentre also starts to be very cost effective when resources are shared.

Their first pi release had staggered batches. There was the initial batch then some changes in production and then the full release. The biggest difference was the initial batch had CE stickers rather then it printed on the board.

They might have went with multiple batches this time to make sure they could meet consumer demand on it. Since even with all these other boards out there there, the Pi is probably still going to see high demand because it has the most compatibility since most people design specifically for the pi.

The first batch of the pi 1B had 256M memory, all next batches of the pi 1B had 512M memory. Bigger difference then the sticker. ( I still have both)

There was an initial batch of 10k which pretty much sold out right away. In April you could order 1Bs that would arrive in June, these were not apart of the initial 10k. So from April until mid October every 1B had 256M. In October they basically went “We’re shipping with 512M now any unfulfilled orders will now have 512M”.

All of this to say the only difference between the initial 10k and the ones that could be ordered after the original batch was a sticker.

The 1b was because raspberry was a fledging company and had to order in batches, likely the only reason they have done what they have is to have an earlier release date than a full stock release.

They probably have concerns about availability. This company hasn’t really had a consumer product readily available since before the lockdowns. As it is there’s already Pi5 listings on ebay for more than double the price and the product hasn’t even shipped yet. If they had just let all their stock sell at once most of that would probably go to scalpers.

There was a lot made about scalpers but the problem was near all stock was allocated to commercial channels.
They put into place maximum order qty’s to stock the scalpers and those have been retained.
You are still going to get Raspberry fanboys, but I am not going make excuses for a company like Raspberry as still salty at they way they treated there initial maker market.

The real story Raspberry Pi Manufacturer RS Group Ends License After a Decade (Updated) | Tom's Hardware

The above was the main story as lockdown and covid had affect but for most parts convienient scapegoats, as you will see after buying many Pi products I am still very salty.
The lack of maker stock and the effect it had on projects / repos that didn’t buy direct was dramatic, but also much what Upton seemed to say was BS.
So you will just get an endless argument that a company such as Raspberry should be able to release product as any other can, they have chosen an early release, rather than ‘Not in 2023’.
I have one on pre-order and as above Raspberry Pi 5 - #69 by stuartiannaylor I think the rk3588(s) boards are better.

The ‘home-assistant green’ shows you don’t need a Pi5 to run Home Assistant Green - Home Assistant or the Yellow with a CM4 or even £21.74 Orange Pi Zero 3 4GB, could do the job.
The Pi5 will be used as its only £5 more than a Pi4 and I think maybe Nabu-Casa missed a trick here as the RK3568 with Pcie3.0x2 and that 5 port sata M.2 are only £20 could of really offered a difference as a ‘Home Server’ the bigger RK3588 versions of Pcie3.0x4 but the 5 port m.2 sata adapter is x2 lanes Pcie3.0 anyway.

I like the idea of a Home Assistant ‘Merch store’ though a one-time to Sponsor @balloob on GitHub Sponsors · GitHub is prob my pref though.
Maybe they should just do a ‘Home Assistant’ vinyl’s/stickers and maybe ‘Hardware recipes’ should also become a thing?

If I could get a ‘flatpack acrylic home server case’ and builders kit then for me a RK3588 is a much better choice than a Pi5. Its just a 12vto5v buck (not needed with Radxa Rock5B) and some cabling and some SSD’s :slight_smile:
Having a SBC satifies that builders itch that is very easy to make a ‘finnished’ product but I am already waiting for the next-gen ‘Cortex-X’ with maybe 2-3x RK3588 performance for low latency LLMs and speech pipelines.

So without being salty the Pi5 is OK, but likely would not be my choice of a ‘Home Server’ that ‘Home Assistant’ would be a core part of.

I think the Orange Pi 5 of similar cost is much better than a pi5, but for a home server via OKDO (RS) the Radxa Rock5B with 2.5gbe and 5 port sata is far more interesting.
[EDIT]
I never noticed that is a 6 port by asmedia not the 5 port JMB ones.

1 Like

I like my Pi’s, from the first version till well the Pi400, for the Pi4 was way too expensive and not obtainable!
Guess the reputation of the Pi4 as one you could not get, crashed the reputation of the Raspberries. So many single boards came out, more capable, more versatile and above all way cheaper. The Pi4 broke the bank simple 4Gb sold for 130 euro. And that hurts, see the adds say 4G pi5 $40 8G pi5 $70 that is not true, in Europe you pay way more, I guess start with near a 100 euro for the 4 and 130 for the 8G, and then they prize themselves out of the market. Too many better SBC nowadays. Shame I like my Pi’s.

Just make sure you buy from authorized resellers, who do not price gouge when the supply is low. The availability of Raspberry Pi boards has improved dramatically over the past month or so. Still not super easy to find, but definitely improving.

Here is an example of an RPi 4B 8GB RAM

and the PI 400

1 Like

In the US, they show prices without sales-tax. In the EU, if selling to consumers, they have to show the price VAT included. According to the country, VAT adds easily 20% or more to the price.

1 Like

After Brexit we get clobbered with tax so the
Orange Pi5 4GB RAM RK3588S £58.52 delivered £80.36, but think maybe the EU is still the same for single imports under €100 and exempt?
Even then if I want to make and also get great support then I am prepared to pay £157.14 OKdo ROCK 5 Model B 8GB Single Board Computer Rockchip RK3588 Arm Cortex-A76 + Cortex-A55 - OKdo and deal with OKDO because it makes a great home server.

The Pi5 is still a great low-cost desktop board but even then think I have preference to the Opi5 due to its much faster ML perf/efficiency.
I want a ‘Home-server’ though and Pi5 just doesnt compete with the ability to simply add a m.2 5/6 port sata to make a extremely capable NAS/Media server that also will be ‘Home Assistant’
£157.14 is very cost effective considering a £20 m.2 sata can make a x6 Sata 3.0 storage device which if you check x6 bay NAS such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUSTOR-Lockerstor-Gen-AS6706T-Bay/dp/B09VX449JG you can be paying £819.00 and still needing the Pi5.
The 2.5gbe + 5/6 sata just fills that ‘Home Server’ niche so perfectly and moves up to consumer/prosumer levels whilst the Pi5 remains a hacky/hobbyist solution for that intended use.

If anyone is interested started this thead £36.2 to start hooking it up.

Hi did anyone install HAOS to new RPI5?

How should that work @GoldFish when there is no HaOS available for the RPI5? :thinking:

Beside not even released yet the Raspberry Pi 5 has a quite bad performance/buck ratio and even a year old SBC’s with a RK35588 outperforms it easily :put_litter_in_its_place:

1 Like

You could try and build it operating-system/scripts/update-kernel-rpi.sh at ff0a4b44e07de5a9f6129062bb37aee93a478717 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub
From Getting Started with Home Assistant Operating System Development | Home Assistant Developer Docs
But the to install is just a Docker container Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant

1 Like

Hmmm… So even we cannot install on docker manner. sorry, i’m a newbie for HA.