Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

Unfortunately I do not. If you have one, then it’s probably a quick test…? Let us know.

Unfortunately, I don’t have one to test either.

Thank you for creating this! I just ordered one but wanted to ask….my Chamberlain opener has two electric locks that lock the garage door when it is in the “down” position - the locks are connected and controlled by the opener automatically.

Will the Ratgdo device be ok with it? Will it be able to detect/control the locks? At the very least will the locks still operate correctly?

I have a security+ 2.0 (yellow button) b980 opener.

Looking at the manual - it appears that the obstruction sensors get connected to the Ratgdo unit - can these be connected to both the Ratgdo and opener at the same time? (I’ll still need the original opener to function to use with my car’s remote). I guess I can always buy another set of sensors if not.

I have the locks on my opener as well. There is no change in their functionality since the Ratgdo is just commanding the opener as if it were a wall control panel.

They have to be connected to both the Ratgdo and the opener itself otherwise the door will not function. You will not need a second set of sensors.

2 Likes

Great! Thank you for the clarifications.

Hi. It’s pretty hard to find RatGDO compatibility info for Liftmaster gate products. There’s a another thread in the forum with helpful info, here: Control Liftmaster LA400 Gate Opener via HA?

I can confirm there is a way to get the RatGDO device working well enough with the Liftmaster RSL12UL gate controller. However, with the currently available features of Paul’s cool device, it requires the Liftmaster expansion board. I bought a couple RatGDOs to get one of my Chamberlain GDOs working along with the LM gate controller (I was hopeful). Both seem to be working really well, and I love the fact that the annoying beep is gone… safety be damned. Just ordered a 3rd for the other Chamberlain GDO.

1 Like

Seeking troubleshooting help. On 12/9, I installed Ratgdo v2.5 on a Chamberlain MyQ garage door opener (Model B4505) with a yellow learn button and Security+ 2.0 flashed with MQTT. Ratgdo was auto-discovered by MQTT in Home Assistant, and I could open and close the garage door and turn the built-in light on and off from Home Assistant. I could also open and close the garage door using the Chamberlain wall switch inside my garage, the keypad outside my garage, the garage remote, the MyQ iOS app, and the programmed button in my car – everything worked great.

However, sometime in the past couple days, I could no longer open and close the garage door or turn the built-in light on and off using Home Assistant or the numeric keypad outside my garage. Everything else (wall switch inside my garage, garage remote, MyQ app, car button) can still open and close the garage door, and Home Assistant receives real-time status of the garage and obstruction sensor, and my automations notifying me when the garage door opened or closed still work.

To troubleshoot, I re-did the wiring same as before, but I still can’t regain the ability to open/close and toggle the light in Home Assistant, and I don’t know why my numeric keypad outside the garage stopped working as well.

Attached are photos of my setup. Any ideas on what to do?

1 Like

That outdoor keypad is wireless - very similar to the ones you’d put in your vehicle.

I’d suggest seeing if you can’t re-learn that in.

As for the indoor button, the push terminals on the opener suck. If your wires are not tightly twisted before going in, there’s a good chance one isn’t making a connection.

I’d try these steps before working too hard to troubleshoot ratgdo. They seem more likely (as I’ve experienced them without ratgdo) and easier to fix.

More and more folks are having issues with this device and MQTT, this is at least the 5th person (including myself) that I’ve heard having issues with the MQTT implementation. This is obviously a problem with Paul’s firmware that he refuses to address and it doesn’t help that he has disallowed users from opening issues on the GitHub project. Switched to ESPHome and all of my issues went away.

1 Like

Are you sure you set it up correctly? It correctly creates and updates topics without issue here. The difference is that I fully understand how it (Ratdgo, MQTT, MQTT Discovery, and HA) works and what needs to be added into the fields to make it work smooth.

He hasn’t.

The original GitHub - PaulWieland/ratgdo github project was closed and source consolidated with esphome and homekit under a new ratgdo account:

Issues are enabled on all.

4 Likes

Myself and others I’ve spoken with had it set up and working (myself for 5 months) without issue and then stopped working out of the blue with no changes to the infrastructure. Reflashing the device results in new MQTT devices being added to HA however controlling the garage ceases to work. My guess is it has something to do with it losing sync with the rolling door codes and not being able to re-establish.

I’ve removed all the stale devices using MQTT Explorer and confirmed there’s only one in there and still no luck.

That is wonderful news, I’ll open an issue against that new repo however myself and others have switched to ESPHome and the issues are resolved.

1 Like

We’ve also setup a ratgdo community on Reddit (/r/ratgdo)

Where can I download the v2.55 .bin file for an OTA update? I don’t see it here Releases · PaulWieland/ratgdo · GitHub or here GitHub - ratgdo/mqtt-ratgdo: ratgdo via mqtt.

Yeah, it really should be on the releases page.

Extracted from the html:
https://paulwieland.github.io/ratgdo/flasher/ratgdo_esp8266_hV25_sV2.55.bin

1 Like

Hey all, looking for some help getting my status to report correctly. For some reason, it seems to be double-reporting and often is wrong - most often saying it is closed when it is not (though sometimes it will say it is open when it is not). See my screenshot - the door was closed 4 hours ago and then I opened it to hours ago. It correctly reported it as opened (though never said it was “opening”), but then immediately switched to “Closed” even though it was still open. Once I closed the door about a minute later, it re-registers as “Open” and then “Closed”.

I have a Genie 2028 and a v2.5 GDO board connected to MQTT. I flashed the GDO with the v2.5 option in the web flasher - which is supposed to support security 2.0, 1.0, and dry contact. Wired it up according to the diagram and all of the controls work perfectly.

Since I am using dry contact I wired up 2 reed switches - one at the garage open position and one at the closed position. Ran a ground wire from both, as well as another wire from the NC (reed can do either NC or NO, and I have tried changing them to NO as well). My magnet is less than 1/8" from the reed when stopped in both positions and it lines up perfectly - so I do not believe that is the issue. I also have the open position reed NC wire connected to the Trigger “Open” pin and the closed to the Trigger “Closed” pin.

I have tried power cycling but that doesn’t seem to do the trick. My wires are secured at all locations, so I am at a loss. Am I missing something, or doing something wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Received my 2.52i board and installed it (ordered 11/8, received 12/21)! It’s listed on the wiring diagram on the github as 2.53 - has different connections than previous boards and looks different, causing me momentary slight panic.

I have a couple-years-old Chamberlain. I used the ESPHome flash for the 2.52 boards, as the picture of my “new style” board wasn’t there, and it showed up right away in HA. I only used the red/white/black connector with leads to hook it up. Works perfectly!

1 Like

Just received my 2.52i as well (ordered 11/7 :grin:). Did you connect the wall button/obstruction sensor to the orange connector on the side? I’m also using ESPHome and just used the pigtail as you did to the GDO, but the controlls doesn’t seem to work. Thoughts?

I didn’t use the orange connectors, no. Only the three wires from the white connector to the garage door opener, snugged up with the other wires from the wall switch and obstruction things - that’s it. Order: Unplugged Chamberlain. Hooked up the three RATGDO wires. Plugged in RATGDO to outlet, and plugged Chamberlain into outlet Then I used the wall switch to open the garage door, and close it. Then I used the HA app to open and close the door, and operate the light.

Got it. Seems my wires were loose. Pulled them out, twisted them together with the wall control, reconnected and boom, started working.

1 Like