Removal of MyQ integration

The problem is the communication beween the opener and the gateway is secure and proprietary, so you are unable to acess it or control it.

Yeah, I know that I need something else, and I’m planning on removing the MyQ gateway, since the company seems insistent on basically making it useless to me.

So I’m thinking I’ll go with a ratgdo also, but I’m trying to figure out what the likelihood is of success in getting the lockout to work on the remotes, since I have the v1, and the docs say it doesn’t work, but you seemed to say that you got it to. So I’m trying to mainly get more info on what you did before moving ahead with this. I want to do my homework, and if I need to build a custom board to support the “Lock” feature then I will do that.

Thanks!

Oh I was mixing up which post you replied to. Initially with the MQTT firmware of the ratgdo I had to create a template device to create the lock entity. My yaml for it is below:

mqtt:
  lock:
   -  name: Garage Control Lockout   
      state_topic: "garagedoorGarageDoor/status/lock"
      command_topic: "garagedoorGarageDoor/command/lock"
      payload_lock: "lock"
      payload_unlock: "unlock"
      state_locked: "locked"
      state_unlocked: "unlocked"
      optimistic: false
      qos: 1
      retain: false

I’ve since switched to the ESPHome firmware for the ratgdo and I like it a lot more - there are more options and the lockout function is automatically exposed to home assistant with no extra yaml. I do have security 2.0 though - I doubt it will expose the lockout with the v1 version and you’d likely need extra hardware. Where is your lockout button on the v1?

This is everything showing with the ESP firmware for the ratgdo:

This is what the ratgdo’s webpage looks like using esphome

Another location to review bomb: https://maps.app.goo.gl/h9vPbetnHqASvpPr9

2 Likes

Well when MyQ first came out they were touting how much liability there was about closing a door remotely without all of the lights flashing and beeping. There is no local API, and the solution to be able to use MyQ locally is to use a solution that doesn’t activate the lights and beeping. I wonder since they have decided to block people from using that functionality, they have some legal exposure. I’m not a fan of legal bullying, but it seems like they have removed from 0.2% of their users the access to they safety system, that they tout properly remotely notifies someone that the door is about to close. Where ever this goes, a local integration is what most people would prefer, with real time status.

All I want is for everyone to keep keep blasting them with 1-stars on every site you can.

1 Like

Just to clarify and add more details on my setup. I’m not getting rid of the MyQ box nor the MyQ phone app. I think the ratgdo project is awesome, but as far as I know I still need the MyQ box to keep Amazon in-garage deliveries working. I have a yellow button Chamberlain garage door opener which means I have the Security+ 2.0. That came with the multi-function door wall control that does the door, light, locks and learn function over just the two wires. But that doesn’t give me a dry contact. So I spent $30 and bought the modified 883LM that does the light, door and gives me a dry contact 2 wire connection. I could have spent $10 and done some soldering but I didn’t feel like it. Then I ran a low voltage 2 wire from the door opener to the other side of my garage where the walkthrough from outside is and put the wall mount door opener there. From there I ran 2 wire up to a spot where I could mount a KR0548-1CH eWeLink/Sonoff switch that I bought on Amazon for $10. I’m powering the board with a 5V usb that I’m powering from an always outlet on a light socket. Then the dry contact from the modified 883LM is going to the Normally Open (NO) and Common (COM) on the relay module.

In the eWeLink app I configured the device to act as a switch, enabled LAN control, and turned on the inching settings set to 0.5sec. This gives me a chance to toggle the switch just log enough to make the contact to act as if the button was pushed.

Then without changing any firmware I was able to add the eWeLink Smart Home device to my Home Assistant server using the add-on in HACS as well as the SonoffLAN custom component to allow it to work even without the cloud.

As an added bonus I was able to get the eWeLink added to Alexa and I used the Home Assistant Home Bridge to add it to Apple Home. I have a camera in my garage that is next to the button I added to my dashboard and my phone still has the MyQ app to doublecheck the status of the door. In Alexa I created an automation that says push garage door button rather than garage open or closed since the inching just makes the contact and then goes back to open.

What about having the MyQ android app running on some kind of Android VM and using that to open/close? Is something like that possible?

There’s some way that the Myq doors can be closed without the beeping and flashing- Whenever I got an Amazon Key delivery the door would close silently.

The ul325 standard actually requires the beeping and flashing. Here are the requirements- they’re pretty specific about the flashing frequency, light intensity, etc for "unattended operation ".

Maybe Amazon Key gets out of this because the door closes with the delivery person present, so it is “attended” at that point.

2 Likes

Reading the FCC filing of the MyQ door sensor I determined that it uses 312.507Mhz. There is a white paper on jamming and capturing the signal to hack the MyQ system. While software defined radios get a bad rap as a hacker tool, I run rtl_433 on my Home Assistant for many practical reasons for monitoring. I was hoping I could tune it to 312.5M and see if I could at least pick up the door state from mqtt. Doesn’t look like I can do it so instead I’m going to use a Sonoff DW2 sensor on the door and couple that with automation with the eWeLink 1CH connected to the dry contact button as well as my camera motion taking a snapshot to create an automation. I created a cover template and that is displaying in Apple Carplay now.

Good riddance. Chamberlain’s devices were actually one of the reasons I dumped HomeKit for Home Assistant: because I had an older Chamberlain garage door, I had to buy from them two devices–a Chamberlain hub and a MyQ gateway (I may be forgetting what they called them). The combination never worked reliably. Their customer support was friendly and polite, but badly misinformed about their own hardware. I spent hours and hours on call after call following bad advice, only to end up with a partially-working solution as before. (I was new to home automation at the time, but I do remember them telling me–and me, like an idiot following–the suggestion that I had to leave the 5Ghz channel on my entire WiFi network always disabled!!) When I switched over to Home Assistant, it was a little better. But ultimately, I asked myself: why am I going through this much pain–and this many piles of devices translating for devices translating for devices–when all it needs is an ESP8266 and a switch that briefly shorts the two wires on the garage wall? I built my own and have never been happier. Sorry to vent, but I truly agree that what Chamberlain is doing is abusive of its customers and they deserve to lose them.

1 Like

I went with Athom’s controller for my Genie SilentMax 1000 - wired into the physical wall button to get around SeriesII/BWC without the “special” dry contact adapter. I love the absolute instant responsiveness. I should have made this switch a long time ago. Almost grateful MyQ forced my hand on this one…but they can still piss off. They will never get another dime outta me!

3 Likes

Finally received my Ratgdo this evening. Downloaded the ESP firmware, added it to HA and wired it. Painless and user-friendly (at least for us techies). Worth every penny.

And for good measures, disconnected the opener from the WiFi.

3 Likes

If anyone is willing to do some soldering and has a spare remote and ESP, I’ve posted this little project that can be used to control the opener via ESPHome. It would be awesome if someone who has more electrical engineering knowledge then me can verify I’m doing it correctly!

1 Like

For those of you (like me) closing your Myq accounts. Beware they send you an non informational “Needs Attention” email it seems like a confirmation email. You have to go to their Privacy Portal to read it. Note: You have to respond before 3 days or they won’t Close the Account. I assume they hope you will ignore the other emails.

Hello,

We have received your request to delete your information. Deleting your information will result in the closure of any accounts that you may have with us (e.g. myQ) as well as closing your Amazon Key program if you opted into that program. If you did intend to do this, please respond back to this message within three (3) calendar days to let us know you do wish to close your account.

If we do not hear from you within three (3) calendar days, we will not process your request. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thank you,

Chamberlain Group, Inc. Privacy Team

Just an FYI

2 Likes

How low can an company act:

Hold my chamberlain!

1 Like

I went back to my Garadget that’s been in a box for a couple years. It now supports MQTT. No issues integrating with Home Assistant and everything is now local. Bye-bye MyQ.

2 Likes

So Far the two best options to get around this are:

ratgo (i just ordered two)
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgebGcBuHxI
using tasmoda / esphome to control a wireless remote. Then using their own remote to control the device.

I ultimately went the ratgo route, as it’s less wiring and I like things neat, but I do worry that they’ll update the firmware to break it. (I super doubt they’d be able to do this though).

2 Likes

Just disable internet access, the unit doesn’t need it anyways with ratdgo installed.

1 Like

I have seen the request to contact the Chamberlain Group to voice our opinion about the decision to block the HA integration, but I think a better approach would be for HA to create a petition and get all members to sign it, whether they use the myQ integration or not.

I will probably use ratgdo as a temporary workaround, but I will not buy another Chamberlain product unless they reverse course on this decision. I only bought their product because it integrated so well with HA. Their decision is motivated by greed, not by customer satisfaction.