Retasking a 2nd Gen Echo

Retasking and Amazon Echo 2nd Generation.

I would like to re-use the parts of a non functioning 2nd Gen Echo (model XC56PY).
In fact I want to throw out the motherboard and replace it with a different board (Pico W perhaps) and then use it as a voice assistant/speaker.

Unfortunately, I’ve damaged the LED/Mic board while probing it with a multimeter (I think I’ve managed to short a couple of solder joints) so I’m at a standstill until I fix it. In the meantime I thought I would share what I have so others can continue.

Overview

The Echo consists of 3 separate parts.

• Amplifier/Power board
  • Motherboard
  • Mic/LED Board

The amplifier is connected to the motherboard with a 0.5mm pitch 24 pin FFC/FPC cable. The cable itself has multiple pins shorted (ground and power) so the orientation of the cable is important. Obtaining breakout boards for these connectors is fairly easy and cheap.

The Mic/LED board is connected to the motherboard with a 0.3mm pitch 37 pin FFC/FPC cable and, once again, the cable has multiple connectors shorted. Getting breakout boards for this is more difficult and expensive.

Amplifier/Power Board

The amplifier looks to be a Texas Instruments TPA3118D2.

The board provides 3.85v to the motherboard.

So far I haven’t done much investigation of this board.

Mic/LED Board

The above circuit diagram may contain errors.

This has 36 status LEDs (12 x RGB LEDs) controlled by what looks like a Lumissil IS31FL3236A (U6) driver.

It also has 7 microphones connected to what looks like 4 Texas Instruments TLV320ADC3101 (U1,U2.U4,U5) ADCs with embedded mini DSPs.

Both the ADCs and the LED driver are controlled via I2C. The addresses are as follows (assuming I have correctly identified the chips):

Chip I2C Address Notes
U1 0x30 MK1 and MK2
U2 0x32 MK5 and MK6
U4 0x31 MK3 and MK4
U5 0x33 MK7
U6 0x7E LED Driver

The FFC/FPC connector has the following pins:

PIN NAME TYPE Notes
1 Unk Unk
2 Unk Unk
3 Unk Unk
4 Unk Unk
5 GND GND
6 SCL I/O I2C serial clock
7 SDA I/O I2C serial data
8 GND GND
9 RESET I Reset for U1, U2, U4 and U5. Low to reset
10 BCLK ? Audio data serial bus bit clock. Direction unknown
11 DOUT O Audio serial data bus output (via U101)
12 WCLK ? Audio serial bus word clock. Direction unknown
13 Unk Unk
14 Unk Unk
15 GND GND
16 MCLK I Master clock (U1 only)
17 ENABLE I Enable for U6 (SDB) and U101 (OE)
18 Unk Unk
19 GND GND
20 Unk Unk
21 Unk Unk
22 Unk Unk
23 GND GND
24 GND GND
25 GND GND
26 GND GND
27 GND GND
28 VCC VCC 3.8V for the LED driver
29 VCC VCC 3.8V for the LED driver
30 GND GND
31 GND GND
32 DVDD DVDD 1.8V for U1, U2, U4, U5, U101
33 DVDD DVDD 1.8V for U1, U2, U4, U5, U101
34 GND GND
35 GND GND
36 AVDD AVDD 3.3V for U1, U2, U4 and U5
37 AVDD AVDD 3.3V for U1, U2, U4 and U5

Once I’ve repaired my Mic/LED board I plan to capture the configuration for the ADC/DSP chips and determine what the various clock speeds are (WCLK, BCLK and MCLK). It might then be possible to build an actual voice assistant.

2 Likes

Hey there, funnily enough I’m trying to do something similar, just on a much more limited scale - smash together a working but old Echo Dot 2nd gen with the speakers/case of the 2nd gen echo plus, driving the bigger speaker via a mono amplifier module. Was trying to find out if the power board gives me 5v somewhere to power the echo dot mainboard, and stumbled upon your post. Thanks for sharing your insight and good luck!