Rollease Acmeda Automate Pulse hub integration

OK, I’ve finally managed to find the time to build this as a proper Hassio add-on.

(I’ve also added a 1-second delay between outgoing motor commands, so inserting extra delays may be unnecessary.)

You should now be able to go to the Add-on Store, and add a new repository:

https://github.com/quentinsf/rollease2mqtt

After which you should find that the add-on is available to your system.

Lots of room for improvement to the code, but it’s working pretty well for me now…

Oh, but @fantangelo, and anyone else who may have tried it so far, please note: the root MQTT topic has changed, and the covers now appear under ‘homeassistant’ rather than ‘home-assistant’, which is much more standard.

You’ll need to adjust your configuration.

thanks for doing this!

Would it be possible to update the add-configuration settings to pass the mqtt username/password as hassio secrets instead of in the open? Instead of passing the raw connection string, maybe do something like this

{
  "mqtt_host": "192.168.0.31",
  "mqtt_user": "hassio-mqtt",
  "mqtt_pass": "!secret mqtt_password",
  "mqtt_topic": "homeassistant",
  "device": "/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_CP2104_USB_to_UART_Bridge_Controller_018DF044-if00-port0"
}

Guys I don’T know if you still need this but in my case what I did was to tap into the RS485 interface of the hub and then used a DT-06 (wifi-to-ttl) in order to control the unit remotely…
Have a look here :
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,123000.msg446947.html#msg446947

cheers !

1 Like

Got my hands on a pulse 2 (finally) I have three motorised blinds at home, wasn’t going to dive down the rabbit hole until I got these working then I will probably buy more.

At present the app is clunky but functional - looking forward to trying to get it working with home assiatant. It detected in HA automatically as a homekit device

but I couldnt pair with the number on the sticker - appparently the integration wants to see a code like XXXX-XX-XXXX but my code is just 1234 1234 format - wondering when i get more time if i scanned the QR code if it may actually have the other digits hidden?

I got my pulse 2 hub as well and was able to successfully pair it with HA using the HomeKit integration. The integration does ask for XXX-XX-XXX and the sticker has 1234 1234, but I just entered the numbers in the integration as 123-41-234 and everything worked flawlessly. I have 6 roller shades and they all show up in HA. I can open and close the rollers, plus set a position. They simply show up as a cover type entity.

The battery level is missing from the entity right now, but that’s something that I can work with.

cover.front_winder_roller 	open 	current_position: 97
                                        friendly_name: Front Window Roller
                                        supported_features: 7
1 Like

Hi all,

Good news, I’ve got a version 1 hub and have managed to reverse engineer the direct interface that the iPhone app uses to communicate directly with the hub. I’ve published a python module that includes a fairly basic demo app. The demo app discovers any hubs on the local network and provides basic up/down/stop/moveto control of blinds.

I also am fairly well progressed in creating a home assistant add-on but for now need people with a hub and a basic level of python skills to test out the module to confirm it works for them.

You can checkout the module and demo from github here:

Any feedback appreciated.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention, I have absolutely no idea if this will work with the pulse 2.

This is great work.
How would I go about implementing this on HA Supervised (aka hass.io), running on a NUC?
thanks

Good work! Looks nicely-written, too.

At the moment, I’m afraid, it doesn’t discover my hub, though it’s clearly seeing some UDP traffic - I get messages starting, for example, with:

WARNING:aiopulse.hub:Unknown type: b'62000091'...
WARNING:aiopulse.hub:Unknown type: b'04000091'...

These look as if they might be of the right form for the things you’re expecting, but not actually one of the anticipated responses…

I can send more info if it would help.

Hi there … I got 2 Rollease Acmeda blinds but so far hesitated to purchase more. On the specs for the Automate Pulse 2 they state “Smart Things” integration, which I assume is for Samsung SmartThings, however I can’t find anything anywhere. I currently use Smartthings for my Somfy Awnings, and 7 blinds powered by Axis through a wall mounted z-wave switch and zigbee to the Axis motors. Those 7 I’d like to replace plus integrate the 2 Rollease. Any insight / advise appreciated. Thank you

I’m in the process of implementing an HA integration on top of the library I’ve written. I’ll add it to a fork of the HA code base that those not running hass.io can use. Once it is of acceptable quality I’ll submit a pull request for it to be rolled into the main HA code base.

I’m not sure if it is possible to inject a custom integration into hass.io?

Hi Quentin, thanks for giving it a go and the feedback.
I’ve just pushed an update that will try and decode all messages and provides a bit more information about what it is doing.
Note that you need to:

1. issue the command “discover” to find any hubs, you should then hopefully see the message “Hub added to prompt”.
  2. if your hub is discovered, issue the command “connect”.

Let me know how you go, and send through the full console output if you can.

Nice work, Alan!-

My hub is now discovered, and when I connect, most of the update process completes, but it dies with a unicode error trying to parse the scene list.

I’ll raise it as a github issue with the full output. It’s possible I may get more of a chance to look at it over the weekend.

Quentin

Aha! It turned out to be an easy fix: I’ve sent you a pull request.

From the command line I can now list, open and close my blinds, and send them to a particular position.

Excellent work! And, unlike my solution, no wire-stripping needed!

Now we just need either a home assistant wrapper, or – the way I went – a gateway to MQTT which can be packaged as an add-on for HA, but could also be used in other systems…

I should be able to run it as a custom integration but can you give me some pointers on how to do this?
thanks!

Alan’s code is just the underlying library, at the moment, and a demo command-line utility.

Some more coding is needed to turn it either into an integration - Docs here, if you want to have a go - or an add-on.

Alan’s done all the difficult work, so it just needs this extra layer of wrapping.

My cruder version above which uses the serial interface was done as an add-on: a standalone program which uses MQTT to communicate with Home Assistant, and runs in a docker container. There are pros and cons to both methods.

FWIW, my system has been working nicely for many months now. The blinds close once the sun sinks a few degrees below the horizon in the evening, and open as we walk around the house in the morning. And I suppose mine is also using an officially-documented interface, even if it is one that uses RS485.

But the @atmurray solution has the big advantage of not needing a cable between your HA box and your Rollease hub, so it’ll be the best solution before too long.

Quentin, I initially used your plugin but then later studied your code as a starting point and created an ESPhome/NodeMCU to serial interface as my rPi was too far from all of the shades. It has worked well for many months so no need for any immediate change but this newest method does look interesting as it will eliminate one piece of hardware and possible point of failure.
Thanks again for everyone’s work on this.

1 Like

hey @Claas_Abraham, I found this when researching the Pulse Hub 2. I can’t confirm if the integration with SmartThings works but hopefully this is helpful
https://www.rolleaseacmeda.com/docs/default-source/au/smart-home-motorisation/smart-things/qrg_smart-things_instructions_system_pulse2.pdf?sfvrsn=1d50ea3c_6